Rambling John says send me a PMwhat is this?

what is a PM? Rambling john says “Send me a PM”.

Private message. You can directly message forum users and have a private chat rather than through a public post like this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Click on your ‘identifying picture’ (not sure of proper word for that!) your’s is the pretty circular pattern in pink at the top. You will get a list, at the top of which you’ll see a pic of an envelope. Click on this and you get various options, one of which is new message on the left hand side! I’ll send you one now to remind me how to proceed!!!

1 Like

To HEnddraig I have done the things you suggested (Thank you) but don’t seem to be any nearer to finding out what is a PM…nor how to send it to Rambling John,… does this Skype group talk every week on Thursdays? Tomorrow is a little difficult…Tomorrow I have visitors afternoon and am "Baby sitting " I from 05.00p.m. although i think I can talk on Skype while she is watching a TV programme.

Hello @margaretsteinmann.

PM is, as @AnthonyCusack says, personal or private message (as you wish to name it) in which you send something only to particular member and is only inbetween you and this user. If you invite someone in such “conversation”, that one will b4e included and will see all messages too. To clear things further up, Iv’e once written a lot about how to send PM so I believe you can find everythng in that my writting with lots of screenshots to help you out with (blue text is the link so if you click on it it will take you directly to the desired post where you can find all about how to send PM).

We did last season (if you count as a season the months until Summer) but this season we’ve talked only about twice in the old year and once in the new year without @ramblingjohn. We aim to do this regularly and I hope fromnow onit will be so. I’m not sure if it’ll really be on Thursdays since some members can’t do it at that day, but for it is set so for now.

Hope it helps.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @tatjana you explain better than I do! As to Skype, I’m not sure if I’ll be available tomorrow. My plan is , if i have time, to come on skype and look for John or you, or should I look for a group? In that case what do i type?

Yes, I think this should work:
Click on your pic, then the envelope below and slightly to the left. Then pick [New Message] and as mentioned, select the name of the person that you want to send it to.

how can I start this PM if I have no contact with the person ? My >Skype address i.is “Imfangring” if that is any help-

Margaret

@ramblingjohn - try clicking on the name I have tagged in this message. You should be able to see from there. I hope that helps.

Margaret @margaretsteinmann , i have sent a contact request to you on skype.

We tend to send things like skype address or email details via PM to avoid spam.
No problem, accept the request i have sent and i will be able to add you to
the group call.
don’t worry if you can’t attend or are late, it’s all pretty flexible.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Having contact or not isn’t essential here. If you know the forum name as it is in this case @ramblingjohn, you just put @ in front of the forum name when adding them into your recipient box, the person will be notified that they’ve got the PM.

Sorry, but I’m not sure what on the pictures in that other thread I’ve said, I didn’t explain clear enough. There is everything you need, from posting PM from forum threads, through the person icon or directly from your Personal Messages area. Let me know where you need additional informations or what needs to be explained more clearly.

If you don’t know the name form the top of your head, you can simply go into the topic where you’ve seen the message which made you wish to contact that particular person and clicking on the picture of that member in the thread it opens their personal card where you will find the button “Message”. Clicking on that button you’ll have another window opened - personal messages area with already started Personal Message thread. You just type title of the messatge in the title row and start typing your message in the text box below. When finishing typing you just need to click the button “Send” situated below the message and the work is done. The person you’ve clicked “Message” from their personal card, will get your private message.

To be sure you’re sendingt PM rather than public one, you can see the difference by looking up the top of the message. While public thread has little “home” icon at the left side of the title, the Personal message has grey envelope instead.

Hope this can provide you with more helping tips.

Hwyl!

2 Likes

Thank you,Tatjana. I really don’t know most of these computer words “blog”, Thread" etc. I really need a computer course rather than a Welsh one.! I’m very pleased to join in the talk on Thursdays. However I get the impression that there is Tuesday Skype meeting as well… Is this correct?.

can’t understand why some weeks there are several people on the Skype and other times only one or two… It doesn’t help that my Skype has changed all by itself…no pictures and it’s difficult to know who is talking when one can’t see the speaker especially when one hasn’t “met” them before.

Sorry this is a late reply… I don’t know where to find these things Thank you for your generous help

Hello @margaretsteinmann. It’s quite late here at the moment and I’m quite tired lately so I don’t even join any Slack events at the moment. However, what I wanted to say with this post is that I’ll surely help you with your troubles in a short while. This all needs more time to explain things to you on the more basic scale so please bear with me for a while.

For now just a quick reply though:
There’s no session on Tuesday, but is Slack/Hangout session on Thursday just as it sometimes is on Skype with @ramblingjohn but for now these are regular and John’s are not though. There are more or less people in the conversation every week on Thursday on Skype because there’s hangout on Slack too and because some people have time to chat every week and some don’t. Originally the Skype practice was held only when John announced it and was the one who called all participants and even then there were not all involved. If there was no announcement that John will hold the conversation, we usually didn’t call each other although we sometimes did too but that was more rearity than a habit. So it might very well happen that there would be no people to answer the call if John didn’t announce the “official” practice.

All the rest I’ll post a bit later this week and answer your questions.

Hwyl!

Thank you, all of you for your replies to my questions

I am grateful for your help. As I never did a computer course, I rely on my son who is not always around for help with computer questions . However now i have a whole line of people able and willing to help.

Didn’t know that the Thursday “meeting” on Skype was to be announced by Rambling John… I hope that people do turn up as it’s practically my only chance to speak Welsh

Thanks.

Margaret