Recommendations for Welsh speaking venues around Betws-y-Coed?

Hi,

We are off to Betws-y-Coed for a week or so and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for any cafes or pubs in the area where learners are welcome and encouraged?

We aim to visit the Eisteddfod on the first Saturday and to explore North Wales a little so any venues around the area that are worth a try would be igreat.

Diolch,

j

2 Likes

In Llanrwst, a small town very close to Betws y Coed, you can hear a lot of Welsh.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you wee will give it a go

J

1 Like

…which neatly leads us on to how to pronounce Betws-y-Coed?. Some 40 years ago I remember someone falling about laughing at my “Betsy Co-ed”. To be fair, he wasn’t Welsh and I was only copying the last person that I heard. Anyway, I vowed never to come out with that again.

Bang up to date, last week I was chatting to someone who was born and bred in said town, so I overcooked it a bit: Bettoos er Coyyyd. His reply was “You mean Bettos y Co-id?” :grimacing:

Blaenau FFestiniog. Plenty OF OPPORTUMITIES TO SPEAK AND LISTEN TO WELSH

3 Likes

I second Llanrwst - there probably are places in Betws, but it’s so touristy it’s tricky to know… whereas Llanrwst is full of mainly Welsh speaking businesses - I’d particularly recommend Blas ar Fwyd and Amser Da: https://www.blasarfwyd.com/

2 Likes

Any that spring to mind?

1 Like

Thats great thank you, we will definately try out Llanrwst and we hope to go to Blaennau Festiniog on the train

Think it will be a busy week and at an ideal time as I just had a letter telling me L passed my Canolradd exam :yum: So now I am free to concentrate on the new level 3 challenges

Diolch yn fawr iawn

J

2 Likes

Last time I was in Betws I just spoke Welsh anyway. The Welsh speakers working in the shops replied in Welsh, and the non-Welsh speakers didn’t!

4 Likes

“we hope to go to Blaennau Festiniog on the train”

If you enjoy travelling by train for the sake of it, enjoy the short lovely trip from Betws y Coed to Blaenau Ffestiniog, including a lonnngggg tunnel. But be aware that the trains run only about once every three hours: there are also buses, not frequent either but an option that may save you time.

1 Like

Also recommend Llanrwst: Bys A Bawd book shop, the public library, La Contessa caffi in the square, best sausage sandwich (yn y byd).

3 Likes

Agree - plus there’s a centre for promotion of the Welsh language off the main square in Llanrwst.

1 Like

Aethon ni y clwb golff ym Metws-y-Coed i gael cinio rhost heddiw ac oeth 'n blsaus iawn. Llawer o bobl siarad Cymraeg 'na and byddon ni fynd nol i gael frecwast Cymreig yn y bore cyn i ni fynd i Trawsfynydd i gofio Hedd Wyn.

Dyn ni’n gobeithio i fynd i Llanrwst yn fuan ac ymweld Blas y Fwyd hefyd.

Mae llawer o bethau i wneud yma a defnyddio ein Cymraeg ni :+1:

Everywhere. From the quarry tours to the local shops.

Specifics of places where you can speak Welsh are very helpful, especially for people nervous about practicing Welsh in the wild for the first time.

A couple of years ago when I visited there was no Welsh in a book shop, or a shop I tried near the bus station…

1 Like

The people in Betws-y-Coed golf club we great to speak a little bit off welsh with.

They should be putt on that map we were talking about. We only found it on the recommendation of a lovely lady in the tourist office who was also great to speak a little welsh with.

Going to have to come back here again

J

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr am dy bost / Many thanks for your post

In order to allow people at all stages to enjoy the benefit of posts such as yours, we ask that all posts are in English (or translations provided for short Welsh phrases).

As you would expect, there is a dedicated thread for people who want to use or practise their Welsh which you can find here.
Be’ dach i’n gwneud …

Diolch am dy dealltwriaeth / Thanks for your understanding :slight_smile:

1 Like

My apologies, I should have realised.

Sorry!

1 Like

No apology needed. :smiley: Diolch am dy ymateb / Thank you for your response and your post in English which must have crossed mine in cyberspace. :laughing:

1 Like