So it looks like I'll be spending New Year's yn Cymru

Nothing special - just somewhere (preferably Welsh speaking) close to things I can do, and reasonably priced. :smile:

@elizabeth_j_corbett_ - Sunday would be perfect!

Dwiā€™n cytino yn llwyr! Odd eā€™n wych iawn!

It was lovely to meet you too. Hopefully Iā€™ll see you around on the forum some more! :smile:

Hi Karla,

I have no reliable WIFI so my social media time has been seriously curtailed. :frowning: But Iā€™m in Wales and itā€™s worth the price. Helen, if you wanted to make Sunday an outing, I am happy to drive you to Pwllheli. See how your week pans out. We could have lunch somewhere. Anyone else is welcome to join us. Just get in touch.

2 Likes

What country are you from? What is your first language?

Justin

Iā€™m from Australia, first language English. :smile:

1 Like

do you speak other languages in addition to English and Welsh?

Justin

Nope. My grandfather is Italian, but has never spoken the language to me because he thinks itā€™s ā€˜useless.ā€™ Donā€™t get me startedā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Karla,

My grandmother spoke 6 languages but only spoke English to me. She didnā€™t want to be regarded as an immigrant and was very proud that she could speak English.

Just think I could have spoken 6 languages as a kid just following her around.

Donā€™t get ME started!!!

Justin

1 Like

Fair enough! Itā€™s a common mindset amongst immigrants, I think. My grandfather came to Australia during what I like to call the Great Mediterranean Migration of the 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s, and wasnā€™t exactly welcomed with open arms. So, I understand that this was his way of coping and trying to assimilate, but I think itā€™s very sad that he denies such a large part of his identity.

2 Likes

Yes - I have a similar story to tell. And the world has changed. What our grandparents saw as liabilities are now assets.

Being a little selfish I so wish my grandmother had taught me all those languages.

Still - thereā€™s time and ā€œmiles to go before we sleepā€,

Justin

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ trickyā€¦ without knowing where you want to go, and what the price range needs to beā€¦

You might try http://www.ygorauogymru.co.uk/advanced_search.asp (theyā€™re the only people I know of with an option to search for Welsh-speaking owners - down the page a bit, under ā€˜Property featuresā€™, ā€˜Perchnogion yn siarad Cymraegā€™) - but theyā€™re not cheapā€¦

From the names, Iā€™d guess the owners here are Welsh speakers (but youā€™d be well-advised to check in advance!) - http://gwynfrynfarm.co.uk/

These are definitely Welsh speakers, although you might not want to go that deep into Pen LlÅ·n: http://www.carrogfarm.co.uk/cym/information.html

Alternatively, have a scout around on AirBnB or TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g552013-c2-Pwllheli_Gwynedd_North_Wales_Wales-Hotels.html) - and when you have a short-list, email them to ask if they speak Welshā€¦ :sunny:

Diolch yn fawr, thatā€™s very helpful. Iā€™ll keep you posted! :smile:

1 Like

So I have a place to stay in Pwllheli now, about 10 minutes from the train station apparently. Because I had a little difficulty finding somewhere, Iā€™ve got an extra day in Aberystwyth, so Iā€™m arriving in Pwllheli on the 23rd now, and leaving on the 26th. Soā€¦anyone around willing to meet up for a chat? :smile:

1 Like

How would a panad on Monday morning be?

Or alternatively, if you fancied the hike out to Mynytho, youā€™d be welcome to call round on the Sundayā€¦ :sunny:

1 Like

Oh, and where is it youā€™ll be staying?

Is this a prelude to SSiAustralian?

Justin

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to do the hikeā€¦but Iā€™ve made arrangements with @elizabeth_j_corbett_ and possibly @helenlindsay on Sunday. So, paned on Monday it is! :smile:

Iā€™m staying at Somerdale B n B on Churton St.

1 Like

I hope notā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Karla,

Iā€™ve spent the whole day in bed today and Iā€™m still feeling pretty rotten. Iā€™m so sorry. But I think a drive to Pwllheli will be beyond. I can see another sleepy achey day ahead of me tomorrow.

Where do you live in Australia? Maybe we can catch up on Skype?

No problem. Thereā€™s no sense in making yourself worse. Hope youā€™re feeling better soon!

I live in Melbourne. And yes, Skype is good. :smile:

1 Like