The SSi Growth Club

Great idea…in fact, why not have all the Fab Four…

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Much as building grand patriotic statues is (thankfully!) not a particularly Welsh thing, there may well be a bit of a list to overcome there :wink:

But yes, everyone learning Welsh through these lessons is indebted to Aran (et al) for their hard work, which was done without the remuneration it deserved. They should feel proud, and we should feel lucky they exist!

3 Likes

Thank you Aran. I really enjoy listening to the sessions and am delighted to find that I can follow most of them thanks to the SSIW lessons, but there a some things I miss and so I have tried to find the transcripts. Whereabouts are they?? I don’t seem to be able to find a link to them. Is anyone able to help please?

1 Like

Just had a thought - there are good lists ,in the public domain of the first “many thousands” of most-used words in the English language. You could cross-check against them. I would think that the first 2,000 and maybe the first 4,000, in the majority, might resemble those same words/topics most-used in Welsh

Justin

2 Likes

Hello @AnneEvans.

I presume you’re paying 10 GBP membership of Growth Club which unfortunately don’t give you the access to the transcripts. That is the “prize” (if I may say so) of those paying at least 20 GBP. So, unfortunately, if you go for higher membership fee, you’ll be able to access them, otherwise not.

If you’re paying 20 GBP membership and you can’t find them anyway you might just misslooked them. They are beneath the lessons posted as links. Every transcript has its link name like “download file”. Clicking on that link downloads file immediately. The lessons and transcripts go from session 5 now as the content is not on for eternity. :slight_smile:

So, this is approximately it.

Pob lwc.

1 Like

Thank you Tatiana. That explains it. I’ll have to see if I can afford the extra or maybe it will prompt me into listening more carefully!
Cofion cynnes
Anne

Ps Sorry for the auto correct spelling of your name in my last post Tatjana.

:slight_smile: I didn’t even notice. Appology accepted of course. :slight_smile:

Excellent idea … will go to have a little google.

Am sharpening my chisel for project Yr Wyddfa…

4 Likes

Work has in fact just started on the Welsh National Corpus project, but it’ll be a fair old while before searchable databases come out of it - in the meantime, I’d suggest you use the (slightly misleadingly named?!) BNC and take a 4000 frequency list - I would expect the vocab in there to be a usefully close match to the WNC (when it arrives). :sunny:

2 Likes

Thanks, Aran! I use the BNC for work - don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to look there! D’oh!

I did find an (American) list online in the end, and spent a lot of Sunday on it. It’s an interesting exercise to go through the list noting where I knew the Welsh equivalent(s), and going back to fill in the words I couldn’t bring to mind (which I’m still doing). There were quite a few words that I couldn’t remember, but I knew I would recognise and understand if I saw them in the Welsh.

2 Likes

I seem to have misplaced where I downloaded Growth Club recordings 1 and 2, would anyone be able to send them to me?

I think they might be on my old laptop but it broke!

Diolch!

I don’t have 1, but I have 2. Can drop box it to you or e-mail later if you want to pm me your address.

1 Like

And yes, hooray, Friday turns out to be a day which keeps my nose a little more firmly to the grindstone…:wink:

In other words, sgwrs 15 is up and ready for our absolutely fabulous Growth Club members (who have made it possible for us to be on the verge of finishing publishing Level 2 for the north, with the southern version also moving along - and the next step, in about five weeks from now, will be… the beginning of work on Level 3! :sunny: ).

9 Likes

Wow - already - this is incredible. The quality of the Level 2 dialogues is mind boggling. Can’t wait to experience Level 3. One salivates at the thought,

Justin

2 Likes

If @aran alowes, I’d be happy to drop 1 to you @RachelH, however I don’t have the transcript of it though.

2 Likes

That’s great Tatjana :slight_smile: I don’t pay for the transcripts anyway, it’s only the audio I’m after :slight_smile:

1 Like

It puts me in an extremely good mood to think there is another new SSiW Challenge to do. Similarly I fear running out of new ones. So at last I have found some use for school mathematics. When I am working on the latest Challenge that has been published I always do just one half of what’s left until the next one is published. That way I NEVER run out.

Who would have thought that Newton or Leibnitz would come in handy after all!

Justin

1 Like

Not sure who’s in charge of the app these days, bit would it be possible to get numbers alongside the Growth Club recordings? Finding it hard to know which is which!

Yes. Saying just “Growth Club Content” is a bit tricky to find which is which.