The visual

Previously I mentioned that I was doing Welsh and Spanish together. One served as reinforcement for the other. But I find I am progressing faster with the Spanish.

I believe this is because the Spanish engages vision as well as auditory senses.

In the Spanish program the sentences are flashed and I can read as I hear and say. Not the case for Welsh. This slows me down. Lets face it, some of those sentences are too long to remember and translate.

I find I often have to write them out before I can translate.

Anyone else experience this?

1 Like

I’ve never been able to remember any long sentence, in the Welsh course.
I can either catch the beginning, the end or the middle part - never all three in a row.
Maybe because English is not my first language, or maybe because my working memory is probably pretty lousy - or…a combination of the two!

In any case, I had read somewhere in the instructions or in the forum that it didn’t really matter if you got it all; the important thing was just saying something.
So, I didn’t worry. I just said something and proceeded quite smoothly through Level 1 and Level 2. I feel I learnt a lot, and faster than I expected - to tell the truth.

More recently I decided to just make a transcription of every single sentence of lesson 25 of Level 1 and Level 2, that we’re supposed to revisit from time to time. So now I can also practice getting the the full sentences right!

note: I don’t know the Spanish course works, so I can’t make a comparison.

2 Likes

I have heard that these lengthy sentences are part of the master plan!.. as they train the part of your brain that holds and processes what someone is saying to you during regular speech (whilst you might be deciding what to reply at the same time). So isn’t just a cruel streak that makes them this way! :grin:

2 Likes

I understand the logic of it. Makes sense…for some.

But in working through both courses I am learning more than the languages. I am also learning how I learn. Im learning better in the Spanish and I think its because I can see and read the english and spanish and work through it. It engages more of my mind and senses.

It would be nice if the welsh were the same

1 Like

I saw a post earlier somewhere in the forum where @aran was talking about doing the same for Welsh lessons after Spanish. Now I can’t find it any more, but maybe he can answer to you on that directly.

1 Like

Yup, it’s on the (long!) to-do list… :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be great!

1 Like