This forum - How to ... & similar things

@tatjana I need some “really useful post” help!

How do I link a post from one thread to another thread? People keep asking for the Course Guides, and instead of having to keep reposting the same info, I could just send them to where I already posted it - if I only knew how! I’m sure you, being our resident guru, know how to do this :slight_smile:

Help is on the way …
I know you’ve posted these links for quite many times so let’s do this with your question being answered.

The best to do this is to link only the post which holds the specific information and not the whle thread because if thread is long, one might get lost in it.

After finding the post you are looking for the thing is very simple. When finding the post you want to link to another topic you click on “chain” icon which will provide a link to you to copy and paste to the topic you want to be linked in.

Clicking on it it provides you the exact link to the post you wanted to link to the topic and is ready for copying what means you dont’ need to mark it to be copied but you just press CTRL+C to copy it to your clipboard.

Now all you have to do is going to the topic you wanted post to be linked in and simply put the link in there. You can simply copy/paste the link which will display the raw link in the post or you can cklick the same chain econ you find in the post which you’re curently writing

Clicking on it will provide you with floating window which you copy the link in

Click OK and you’ll get hoghlighted text which you switch for the text you want to appear in the post. Let it be something what tells to reader immediately what they’re about to click on.

Don’t look puzzled to see the text in brackets separated from the link and the number 1 near them in the window you’re writing in. The number behind the text in brackets and the number infront of link itself provides link clicks counting and additional link below all text you’ve written is for that “connecting” purpose and will not be seen in the post itself but what will appear is the number of clicks on the link you’ve provided.

Well, I’ve just noticed not all links are clics-counted for who knows what reason but most of them are though.

So, this is basically it.

3 Likes

Great info @tatjana. I will add that the number reference in square brackets ‘[1]’ can be any text e.g. ‘[crwban]’. This is helpful if you are entering a large number of links. I use this to put links to pictures in my list of nature vocabulary.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Thank you.

1 Like

@tatjana Gwych, diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile: You’re a star! :star:

@Kinetic I have a question now: Why I can’t edit this post anymore

it’s index list of useful topics and it has 8 edits, all done by me. Is there a limit of edits one post can hold and then locks up for editing somehow.

I wanted to add some more links to the list and there will be more to add in the future so I just have to know this. If edits are limited, then I’ll have to invent something else, maybe PDF with active links document or something similar.

Thanks for your time and potential answer.

I would imagine there’s some kind of time limit - @kinetic, do mods have access to edit posts after any time limits?

I would imagine there’s some kind of time limit - @kinetic, do mods have access to edit posts after any time limits?

Yes.

1 Like

@tatjana - if you want me to edit one of your posts, I’m happy to do so.

1 Like

Can this limit be somehow overridden or reset? @tatjana and I both maintain lists where edits are ongoing.

Not particularly easily (unless we do it globally, which is generally thought not to be a particularly good thing for forums, although it might not be a problem in the SSiW context).

Let me give it a little thought… :sunny:

Hi @craigf
If that becomes a problem, maybe copy and paste the material to a new reply will give you the amount of time you had before.

If you want to remove an old reply/post, delete all of it’s content and save changes, an empty post won’t display (well it worked for me once).

Growing up on a farm i have a rather rustic fix attitude to this modern technology.

Cheers J.P.

Sorry, but I wouldn’t go for that. I had a thought to leave the list (well I’m talking to about my list though and when I edit it the last time (I figured out 7th time is the last one) I’d rather put the link to another post and continue to do list there however I don’t quite know if this would be the best idea either.

As much as I could establish this doesn’t work like this anymore. Deleted posts are not visible anymore but the text “post deleted, will be removed within 24 hours unless flagged.”. The post actually doesn’t vanish after 24 hours but stays there though.

Thank you @wondersheep. I’ll let you know if/when I need this to be done.

1 Like

If that becomes a problem, maybe copy and paste the material to a new reply will give you the amount of time you had before.

well all i can do is test what i say and hands up if i fail. I just copied and pasted the above from former post.
Let me know when you have seen this, then i will try and remove it.

Cheers J.P.

That is a possibility. I want to break it out into its own thread at some point anyway. Just kind of a pain to have to do it every so often.

2 Likes

@aran, @Kinetic: Perhaps there could be a special category of posts, intended for the sort of thing @tatjana and @craigf want to do, which would be always editable by the original poster (and mods of course). (But “normal” posts would not be in this category and have the same editing limitations as now).

Technically, yes, that would solve it - but it would require us or someone else to add that as a functionality to the Discourse software, which would be a serious investment of time.

Craig, which thread is it? Does adding stuff as a response in the thread not work very well?

Right now it is a single post in the “What’s Outside” thread.

Not really, as each new entry has to go under the proper heading. When I break this out into it’s own thread, I would like to have separate posts for each category as this list is getting long, navigating it during editing is getting tedious.

Yup, that is turning into a pretty gigantic piece of work!

I wonder if the key problem here is that building a dictionary isn’t really what forums are set up to do. I wonder if we could find a different piece of software somewhere that would work better for this…

1 Like

We do still have the PB Works setup, don’t we? Could it be set up there and linked to from here?

2 Likes