Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

@FrankMorys, and for anyone who doesn’t already know, there is a legal way for those outside the UK to watch some S4C programs:

S4C International

Of course, it’s a limited selection of programming, but it’s still worthwhile.

2 Likes

@lynne_freudigmann. Did you know about this? I can’t remember if we talked about this.

Yes, there was talked about this on this forum. It’s just I don’t know exactly in which topic right now and, to be fair, I’m not in the mood (how strange for me though) to search for it. Maybe later. But since @AnnaC has provided the link to the S4C International, I believe there’s not much to be told though.

Enjoy watching legally.

haha yeah, I ended up doing another search for it after I asked. Initially I actually didn’t know if the show was still running because the only ones i’ve seen were probably episodes from the late 70’s or 80’, so I didn’t think to check iplayer or anything like that. I wanted to watch it on my phone at the time, but I couldn’t watch it outside the UK. More reason to have signed the petition I guess. In the meantime, I’m grateful for the S4C International link.

2 Likes

Diolch! Diolch! Diolch yn fawr!
I know I should have been able to call the name of this site to mind and I think I posted it in another thread, but I couldn’t find it, was in a hurry and threw the ball to @Sionned as the first US resident to come to mind!! Up you came, Anna, with the answer and I, and, I am sure Frank, are very grateful.
edit:
checking, I find we have threads for watching in US, S4C International (mainly about adblocks losing the subtitles) as well as good programmes to watch. I suspect life would be easier if these were concatenated somewhat, but I’m not sure I’m the one to do it, not being all that clued up on the mechanics, and I don’t even know the best person to ask. @aran, as boss man, can you maybe help?
edit!
Woops! Sorry! Found it in ‘Really useful ‘How to’ stuff and other great posts’ pegged at the top when in the main Forum. @seren put in a list of useful threads!

2 Likes

@seren has put up a very useful list in that thread @henddraig mentions and if I see something what could be of any great value and is not mentioned in it yet, I’m constantly updating it with such things so the list itself as the main list at the beginning of the thread are more or less fresh all the time however if I missed something and you think it should be in any of those two lists, let me know.

1 Like

It is a shame we are not allowed to share the links to watch BBC i player abroad, which is where you can catch up on the latest s4c programmes etc. I guess it’s easy enough to Google BBC i player abroad and work it out for yourself if you wanted to do that. It is easy to do though.

You know it is very simple reason for that. Such things are illegal and company/forum like this just can’t in any case afford sharing such links and tips publicly. It is so that we all should understand this. I’m happy with S4C International especially because in the past even this didn’t exist. So, times getting better in this context anyway.

1 Like

Thanks Tatjana, you are right and I certainly won’t post any links. I didn’t see Pobl y cwm on s4c international and I’m guessing that isn’t available.

1 Like

I believe so, yes.

Not so far. There is Rownd a Rownd but its on hiatus at the moment. Every now and then I email them to ask for things I’d like to see. Time to send another request, I think…Pobl y Cwm, the second season of Lan a Lawr, Byw Celwydd… :slight_smile:

One big disappointment this year was the Eisteddfod coverage. Last year there was coverage for every day available to watch at any time (for the usual 30 day window). At the beginning of the Eisteddfod I emailed to ask why there was nothing on the international page and they told me it was a rights restriction issue, and I could only watch live. I hadn’t realized I could watch live so I was glad I asked, but I didn’t get to see much because the 5 hour time difference made it difficult :cry:

Re: iPlayer: don’t forget that you can quite legally listen to Radio Cymru via iPlayer anywhere in the world (I think). (and other BBC radio stations, including a Scottish Gaelic language one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radionangaidheal).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru

2 Likes

Regarding radio: if iPlayer doesn’t work there’s still TuneIn app - totally legal way to listen to all BBC and other radio stations. I was pleasantly surprised you can find Slovenian ones on there too. So, if you tend to listen to BBC Radio Cymru and occassionally hop into other countries to hear what they have in program, TuneIn app is maybe even better. You can literally find the whole world radios there. If I’m correct, TuneIn can be found in App Store too. :slight_smile:

Joyo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK. Now it’s my term to put question here (haha):

What stands the word “gorwedd” for:

• for “lie” as not telling the truth or
  • for “lay” as in “to lay down”?

Google Translate gives it in both cases and Ap Geiriaduron puts it in as “lie” word. I strongly believe the words for these two totally different things yn Cymraeg are not the same. I might look into more word books but I believe it’s best to ask here though. Maybe this is a question of wider interest … :slight_smile:

[quote=“tatjana, post:1291, topic:3153”]
for “lay” as in “to lay down”?
[/quote] This one. :blush:

1 Like

Does that cover laying an egg as well??? Pretty please! :smile:

Dodwy is to lay an egg. I remember it as dod-wy. Hawddy pawddy. Welsh at its best. :blush:

3 Likes

But how can it be ‘legal’ for those of us overseas to watch Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol (for example) on s4c clic but ‘illegal’ to watch it on BBCiPlayer? Still I agree it is not for SSiW to advertise ways round the ‘law’.

1 Like

Because of the app legality and not the show at this point. For example: I can’t see in Play store neither BBC iPlayer nor S4C Clic because it’s not meant for our market at all so I can’t even install any of these apps. For less restricted areas you can have the app but you can’t watch everythig on it. A bit contraversal but that’s how it is …

Thank you @gruntius for the explanation.

Wonder if Dal Ati from this morning will be available from S4C international. I’ve never watched Dal Ati before, but how many SSIWers were on there - clearly Aran and a few others. I flicked in and out, but the standard of Welsh that some people manage to achieve is amazing - the title Dysgwyr just seems so inappropriate sometimes.