Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

so students at Coleg y cymoedd are “students of the college of the scooped out valley type of thingy”, Sounds like it has the makings of an English equivalent of Llanfair PG

Correct. That is what it means. Welsh is so much more succinct than English, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Well, when you have a country full of scooped out valley type thingies and other impressive topograhical features, it pays to have succinct words for them. Many of these are mono-syllabic like cwm, pant, pwll, nant … and there are correspondingly fewer (and typically longer) words for the same features in English.

My Geiriadur Mawr spells that ‘pelten’!

Yn wir! “You or ewe or uw shaped valley” is confusing as well! Is it like defaid, i, or beth?

Pretty obvious that it is from something like that , so I can’t see you will get any argument- apart from possibly over the use of your word “just”. (Though I would also guess quite possibly from “belt” myself. )

A post was merged into an existing topic: Entirely unnecessary argument which needs to stop here

When I was at school we went to Cwm Idwal on a Geography field trip (I still have the scar to prove it on my knee, but that’s another story). From what I remember the scoopy-out type cwm in English is a specific glacial feature, also known as a corrie or cirque (with aretes behind it). Cwm Idwal, I seem to remember, has some rocks with striations! (we had to draw field sketches under a plastic bag in the pouring rain, no taking photos in those days) Looking in my dictionary, the Welsh for this type of cwm is peiran.

Cwm (in Welsh) applied to other Welsh valleys seems to be used for narrower longer valleys. So locally, Cwm Llinau is a tributary of Dyffryn Dyfi, a much wider valley - makes sense to me. :slight_smile:

Thinking about glacial features, the main car park in Dolgellau is called the Marian, the Welsh for moraine.

3 Likes

what about all the different words for meadow, dol, rhos, waun even a rhigos and i bet theres loads more. I always think of waun as more like mooland, but only because of thinking about the ones i know.

But”?

That’s pretty much a definition of how this language thing works, isn’t it? :blush:

1 Like

oh yeah now you mention it

or the odd la combe in France

1 Like

MY thinking was… Cwm - small curvy bottom valley…Dyffryn - flat bottomed…both potentially formed by glaciers

Glyn however is a river worn valley…not glacial related?

Came across/Wedi dod ar draws…

A funny word…dwthwn…does it mean “the same day”/ “present day”…or is it a specific time?

How do we translate “And What Not”…Is Beth bynnag (Whatever) the right word in context?

Um… when would you use that in English? Context may give me enough of a clue… :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the sense of ‘and so on…’ you could say ‘ac yn y blaen’ (‘Ac yn y blaen ac yn y blaen…’).

I think more towards the north you could also say ‘a ballu…’

I think ‘beth bynnag’ is more likely to translate either as ‘anyway…’ or ‘whichever’, depending.

2 Likes

How about ac ati? Or just ati?

Medr unrhywun esbonio a helpu i mi dallt “rhoi’r gorau”? Dwim yn dallt “rhoi” + “gorau” = “give up”… Pam “gorau”?

Can anybody explain and help me understand “rhoi’r gorau”? I don’t understand the use of rhoi followed by gorau = “give up”… why “gorau”?

Is this a really poetic way of saying you gave your best, implying “to give up”?

I’d say that’s as good an explanation as any… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oeddwn i’n meddwl ond dim siŵr :slight_smile: Diolch i chi Aran am helpu eto :slight_smile:

1 Like