Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I’m confident I’ve heard “fedra i” in level one. But not 100% sure.

You can say ‘medra i’, but it may sound more natural to say ‘fedra i’ - which is just like ‘mi fedra i’ but dropping the ‘mi’. :wink:

1 Like

I think you say “medra i” after certain things … “if I can” = “os medra i”

Emphasis on “I think”, pinch of salt time.

2 Likes

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on using it… Thanks :blush:

Don’t be shy!! Croeso!! See if there is a subject that interests you! “What’s outside” hooked me in! If you have a question e.g. not sure what @aran or @Iestyn said, or meaning of what you heard on TV try hitting the magnifying glass logo and type in a word or phrase to see if it has been mentioned before. Look at FAQ.s and, when in doubt, ask @tatjana who is the nicest person in the world, has infinite patience with idiots like me, lives in Slovenia and likes rugby! She is a techno wizz!!
p.s. where are you? There is a thread for being put on the map and if you are outside Wales, there is a petition for those who want S4C to carry on its good work!!

1 Like

Ayayay … @henddraig:slight_smile:

Really useful ‘How to’ stuff and other great posts is the topic where you can get every single useful information about this forum, Growth Club and some additional useful stuff so go ahead and read this first.

@CatrinLliarJones are you maybe so kind and globally pin this “Really useful stuff” topic. It is only pinned but not globally pinned what would be super useful for each member of every section of this forum. Thank you in advance.

And, of course, a very warm welcome to the forum @marie_ondabeat.

1 Like

Aaaarrrggggghhhhh It’s not letting me for some reason and now it seems I may have totally un-pinned it? So sorry! Not sure what I’ve done! :frowning:

Maybe @Kinetic can help?

1 Like

You have proved my point, @tatjana, with this posting!!! So less of the “Ayayay”!!! :sunny: :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you very much @henddraig and @tatjana :smile: I’m looking forward to using the forum much more often!

1 Like

Ok quick question - I’m sure I know the answer i’m going to ask anyway.

I started with level 1 last wednesday and I’ve just finished it. I found I got about 3/4 of the stuff in level 25 correct and the remaining 1/4 was a case of “oh yes of course it was”.

I am lucky in that I learnt welsh in school albeit a long time ago and did try learning without much success 25 years ago so much of it feels familiar.

So should I spend time consolidating level 1 or move on to level 2. I’m off on holiday for a week very soon and it seems an ideal opportunity to plough on. What would people advise.

I should add that I know a welsh speaker and try the odd phrase with her and indeed text her things I know how to say in welsh without worrying about the spelling!

As you said, you know the answer.
Go on and don’t try to “consolidate”. It will consolidate if you use what you know " in the wild". If you go on in this pace you will finish Level 2 by next weekend and you’ll be able to chat with your friend fluently.
So if you’ve finished Level one and two within less than three weeks, don’t forget to reward yourself for this achievement and share your success with us.

3 Likes

Da iawn ti @petermescall! Llongyfarchiadau!

And … @brigitte said it all … :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr iawn. O’n i’n mynd i ddechrau’r cwrs nesa ond do’n i ddim yn siwr. Dwi’n mynd i ddechrau heno efo gwydr o win!!! Dwi di mwynhau dysgu cymraeg a dwi’n gobeithio trio siarad efo fy ffrind wythnos nesa.

3 Likes

Lesson one. Level two. Faster. A lot faster. I’m in work next week then on holiday in Thailand for a week. I’m going to try to get through level two by then. Suggestions please for next steps. I can try things a couple of times a week with a first language speaker. We are going away for a weekend too. I will have finished level 2 by then. Is it realistic to think we could just speak welsh all weekend?

Is that in the company of a first-language Welsh speaker?

I would say that if it was just you and another learner, that you might soon run out of vocabulary, and it would be hard to resist the temptation to revert to English.

With a (patient!) first language speaker, you have someone to use as a talking dictionary, so your chances of survival (in Welsh-only) are higher. :slight_smile:

Pob lwc ta waeth! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not neccessarily. If another learner is of a higher level then it might be you wouldn’t run out of vocabulary but eventually learn more of it.

I believe you could have something like “weekend bootcamp” @petermescall and, well, you’re amazing in deed!

1 Like

I did say she’s a first language Welsh speaker so it should be fine.

I am feeling very, very inadequate! I suppose I am just very, very lazy! I started Level 1 ages ago to re-learn Cymraeg to help with the hiraeth caused by living in Yr Alban, I switched to Challenges and am still doing the first set of those. At your speed I’d have finished and be entering Eisteddfodau by now!!

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying it. Some days I feel I can say anything. Other days I feel hopeless! I’ve just gone to wetherspoons for breakfast and feel I should at least say thank you in welsh. I’m doing it all the time now. People don’t half look at you strangely sometimes!

1 Like