Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

“Dacw ti”.
“There you are.”

2 Likes

So I am not alone then. I reached the 6 min point in Challenge 14 and ‘my…’ I can see is about to give me a lot of headaches. The early Challenges were fine and with a little effort I could tick them off quite quickly. Challenge 13 took me a couple of months and 14 looks to be no different. I will do it though. Give me (more) time.
Diolch for your reply

Aha! Thanks. I’d heard “dacw” before, but it’s just not a word I think of myself.

A question to @owainlurch, I think, but maybe someone else has this information so I’m posting it here: are there Keys or a Teacher’s book available for the “Welsh Rules” textbook? It’s really excellent, but I’m afraid I can’t tell myself whether my answers to the exercises are correct or not!

Not quite what you asked for, but I see there is this:

http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?ISBN=0862437113

Welsh Rules Exercises
Heini Gruffudd Other books by Heini Gruffudd
2,000 graded exercises for translating, mutating, changing to negative and plural forms, changing emphasis, correcting errors, and choosing words yourself. Published alongside Welsh Rules, but may also be used on its own
ISBN: 0862437113

@aran Because of my gog/de dichotomy, I tried a bit of Challenge 13n. I expected to hear ‘merch, y ferch’ for woman, but, well, my question is, “What are you saying?” It doesn’t sound like merch, menyw or gwraig … Sorry to be a pain!!
p.s my problem with menyw and y fenyw is that I can’t help thinking of lists of restaurant dishes and places to meet!!! Clash of Cymraeg and French!!

Thank you! I’ve got this one too, and it does have keys to the exercises, but I would really love to get the answers for the Welsh rules book, as it has a great deal of exercises in it.

We learn dynes for woman in the Northern course :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m afraid not! As far as I know, anyway. The exercise books published alongside “Basic Welsh” and “Cymraeg Da” are the only ones with answers. I agree it would be better if they did! I’ll try and double check tomorrow with someone who should know for sure, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a key to them.

Thank you! I suspected that:( Well, maybe they will fix it in the next edition (I hope so).

we also learn ‘merch’ in the Northern course, to mean ‘daughter’ !

oco is used everywhere in Glamorgan welsh from the early part of the last century in place of Dacw which I always thought was more like over there in the distance sort of thing. Interesting to hear dacw ti as there you are, but dacw ti as they say

Perhaps I should have made it clear that “aco” is a slight variant of “acw”, which is not the same thing as “dacw” (all in use since well before the nineteenth century) but the usage of which has somewhat converged in certain dialects, but I was trying to keep my response a simple answer to where it is derived from. :blush:

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest some simple S4C programs for a learner to be watching? I’m only on level 10 right now, but realistically am several levels higher (just haven’t worked through them yet!), and studying intermediate night classes, if that helps. I’ve been trying Holi Hana, since that’s what our Welsh teachers used to show us, but I probably only under 20-30% of that, so if anyone can suggest something better that’d be great!

You could do worse than “Dal Ati” and “Dal Ati Bore Ma”, which are both aimed at (adult) learners.

Some people like children’s programmes, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I’ll definitely check those out, thanks!

I agree with the kid’s programs idea, if you get S4C and are in during the day just watch them all and decide for yourself which ones suit you better. Some use a more northern language, some more southern and some more of a mix. Peppa pig, Sam Tân, Ben a Mali and Llan-ar-gollen are some of my favourites as are kid’s quiz shows like Pyramid and Dan Glo. Try them all.

1 Like

Oh, that’s what @aran said! I couldn’t make it out at all!! Probably because I don’t like the idea of being a man with an ‘es’ to show I’m female!! Especially as I think our ancestors were much more likely to honour and obey women than most other societies were, or even are!!!
to @Hydwyren
I watch kids TV. with my little dog. We like Hafod Haul, but get cross when the writers put in things like Jaff y ci painting a picture which no dog, even a genius could paint, if only because dogs see a different colour palate! I don’t like children being misled!! Y Dwysoges Fach is translated from the English, but I do like the antics of Cagla and Pus, even thought they are even more unlikely than those in Hafod Haul!! At least these are cartoon creatures and it’s only really Pus yr gath who is totally anthropomorphised!

1 Like

I watch a lot of S4C programmes for children and it helps me a lot! I tend not to choose programmes that would perhaps help me the most, I tend to watch shows that I like! I love ‘Marcaroni’ for Welsh nursery rhymes and ‘Ben Dant y morladron’ because I love anything with a pirate theme!

I have a feeling that the former usually, if not in fact always, coincide with the latter :wink:

2 Likes