Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Shwmae pawb

I was wanting to say something along the lines of ‘they have not done very well with with how much time they have had’ and I have had problems with the ‘how much time they have had’ part.

I have never seen wedi used in possession, can it be used?
Or would I have to say it more like ‘with the time they had, continuous kind of past’ --> 'faint o amser oedd gyda nhw, something like that?

Diolch yn fawr i bawb am ddarllen

I think the second option sounds most promising. You could maybe say something like:

gan ystyried cymaint o amser oedd gyda nhw.

Any improvements?

2 Likes

I’d say something like ‘faint o amser oedd e nhw’n cael’ - I’m sure I’ve heard somewhere that in Welsh you ‘get’ time, as in ‘ges i amser da.’ :smile:

1 Like

Maybe there are more ways than one of saying this.

dydyn nhw ddim yn gwneud dda efo faint o amser mae nhw wedi cael.
(but i’m not confident with this).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I like Netmouse’s answer, but in general, I don’t see why you couldn’t use “wedi” with “cael” in some circumstances, meaning “have had” (or “have got to have…”).

However, in this case, I presume they had this time over a long period…more of a continuous thing, so “oedd” sounds right. It was not a single occurrence of “having” (or “getting” or whatever).

But “Mae e wedi cael ei sglodion” - “he has had his chips” :smile:
(However, probably not used idiomatically like that, as it is in (British) English), ond dw i ddim yn siwr am y peth. or, e.g.

“Mae e wedi cael ei frecwast” - “he has had his breakfast”. (not 100% sure about the mutation, but it sounded ok to my “ear”, for better or worse).

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies :slight_smile:

The issue with possession was more with the gyda structure, e.g. I was thinking I had never seen mae wedi rhywbeth gyda fi or anything like

This also ties in with other structure like ‘to have to’
I heard ‘fi wedi gorfod’ for ‘I have had to’, is this necessary for this tense (don’t know its name) or is there a way to use rhaid i fi, without rephrasing and using the past tense like @netmouse used?

I think they are pretty much the same issue in terms of how you can use the structure

1 Like

You can say ‘oedd rhaid i fi’ to mean ‘I had to…’ That’s covered in one of the courses somewhere…I can’t remember where.

I’m not sure if this is the place for this!!
@aran I found Challenge 14 of Level 1 really mind bending and 15 a blissful change!!
But, when I use search to find a subject in a thread, I’ve started getting Spanish mixed up with th Welsh threads!! Is this because I’ve moved to the new format? @tatjana can you help?

1 Like

As others have said, definitely more than one way to go about this - but being as literal as possible, you’d definitely be fine with:

‘Dydyn nhw ddim wedi gwneud yn dda iawn gyda faint o amser maen nhw wedi’i gael’.

But netmouse is spot on that ‘gan ystyried’ would be a bit more natural… :sunny:

Nope, this is just because the search tool searches the whole forum - so if there were threads in th Spanish section that had the terms you were looking for, they would be in the results - this is more likely to happen if you search for something general like ‘listening exercises’ (which are relevant to our Spanish and our Welsh learners) and less so if you’re looking for something like ‘Welsh grammar’… :sunny:

1 Like

I’m trying too hard to get that ‘I have had’ possession direct translation from saesneg I think, and by trying to think of cael as ‘get’ to not confuse it with ‘gyda’ has got me ignoring it!

Thanks for the replies pawb :slight_smile: I think I’ll try add some of these sentences to my brain’s Welsh alternative structures section

2 Likes

Excellent question, as lots of alternatives were suggested, and i’m thrilled mine was not to far of reasonable.
There is just a chance i may be improving.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I believe you were not on (only) Welsh part of the forum when searching but in “general chamber” where all categories are displayed so you’ve got the results of the whole forum. When I was in Welsh part I never got the Spanish (or any other except Welsh for that matter) results. So you might look at where you are first before searching if you don’t want to get mixy wixy results. :slight_smile: (Oh, sorry, It’s Friday and I’m in the good mood!) :slight_smile:

When Radio presenters give a website addresses, are they really saying ‘blind slice’ instead of the English ‘forward slash’ [/]
what am I really hearing?

I believe what they are saying is “blaen sleis(en)” which would be the Welsh for forward slash. Blaen is front or fore, and sleisen is slice (the noun). I would guess that the latter is borrowed from English.

6 Likes

indeed.

Slice of cake in Welsh may be closer to ‘tafell o gacen’

1 Like

To @aran I cannot remember how to switch from South to North in the new format! When I find the De version of a challenge oddly pronounced (to my ear) or using words I don’t know, I like to try Gog and usually end up using a mix!! I thought there was an easy switch, but I can’t seem to find it!! The more I do, by the way, the more Gog I seem to be!!! @tatjana can you help?

1 Like

If you talk about technical part, the switch is here:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I actually finally found the switch I wanted. I hadn’t scrolled down far enough!! Prize for biggest idiot goes to aged dragon!! :wink:
Thanks for quick reply, by the way!!

1 Like

Can I try the new format, or is it only available to mods? If available how do I switch?

Good afternoon, I was just wondering, where could I find those free listening exercises, for the beginers Aran was mentioning. Or did I misunderstood something? Maybe I am not accurate enough to find it…