Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch.

I guess I just want and try to learn the correct form at least once. Later on I will automatically be making too many mistakes any how.

And sometimes travels just manage to confuse us. Thinking about my visit to Garn Fadryn I got a bit confused…

1 Like

In Garn Fadryn (or Carn Fadryn), the Madryn softens because Carn is feminine - so it’s not being caused by where the name is being used in a sentence… :sunny:

2 Likes

It’s a tiny question, it’s the wrong place, but… did anyone else notice the bright blue water bottles at the Leaders’ Conference in Washington DC? Ty Nant???

Shwmae pawb!

Does any one know how to say ‘get along with/ get on with’, as in ‘we get along with each other very well’ yn y Cymraeg?

I have spent the last ten minutes looking through all manner of dictionaries, online and other, and have been unable to find anything. Would appreciate any help :slight_smile:
Flynn

Cyd-dynnu’n dda gyda rhywun?

1 Like

Hello all.

I’ve recently re-started the SSIW course again, finding it great but I have a question or two (related though).

How often do the weekly practicises for listening get updated? https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/weekly/listening

I ask this because It’s stuck on Welsh C116 Listening South1 for maybe a month now for me…

If it’s not getting updated, is it possible to get links to download the previous weeks instead?

I have tried listening to Pobol y Cwm but I can’t understand half of what they are saying :smile:

Thank you.

This was one of the translations I found similar, but it translated it as more like ‘to pull together/ work as a team’, Can it also mean to get along with in the sense people who find each other’s company agreeable?

It seems odd that dictionaries I have tried are devoid of this quite common word/phrasal verb, unless, do other people use another way of saying the same thing?

Mr Alun Rhys Cownie in his “Dictionary of idiomatic phrases” gives this translation for “getting on well with smb” in the sense of liking them and finding it easy to interact with them. He even has an example “Er bod hi’n hoffi’r gwaith doedd hi ddim yn cyd-dynnu efo’i phennaeth”. That’s a rather recent dictionary so I trust it:) But perhaps there’s a better way of saying the same thing?

2 Likes

Exactly. In my version of the same author - A Dictionary of Welsh and English Idiomatic Phrases by Alun Rhys Cownie - it translates from English to Welsh thus:

to get along well with her - cyd-dynnu â/efo hi

4 Likes

Cyd-dynnu is fine, but in ordinary speech you’d be more likely to hear ‘tynnu ymlaen yn dda’… :sunny:

Ah, that sounds like a hiccup in our workflow - I’ll give it a nudge and see if I can get it moving again - thanks for the heads up!

In the not-too-distant future, we’re hoping to discontinue the daily/weekly practises, because as learning tools they’ve largely been superseded by the listening exercises in Level 1 - we haven’t quite got there yet, though, so they’ll be available for a little while yet…

3 Likes

Diolch pawb! :smile:

Sounds like a good dictionary to add to the collection

Just to be awkward, I wonder if there are any other common possibilities? (I was rather hoping to find an expression I recognised already!)

I was fishing for exactly this a couple of days ago with another learner, and we finally settled for “Mae nhw’n deall eu gilydd yn dda”, which I guess isn’t quite the same.

For the record, Bruce says:
to ~ along [well] with s.o., cytuno/cyd-fynd yn dda â rhn, cyd-dynnu’n dda â rhn, bod ar delerau da â rhn, gwneud yn iawn â rhn, Occ: tynnu trwy rn yn iawn.

Umm, nothing that comes immediately to mind… um. There’s a phrase ‘enaid hoff gytun’ to describe someone you get along with particularly well… but really, we’re into ‘how many ways are there to express this kind of sentiment’, and the answer will usually be ‘plenty, and feel free to invent more’… :sunny: But tynnu ymlaen is definitely what you’ll hear most often… :sunny:

@kinetic thinks there might be a hiccup happening here somewhere, because he’s been updating them, and the dates should be on the download pages - so I’m tagging him here so that he can check this out… :sunny:

2 Likes

Hi @danh,

What exactly do you mean by “stuck on”? Do you think the content of the file is definitely the same, or are you by any chance going off the filename? The file will always be labelled “Welsh C116 Listening South1” - that “1” at the end will never change - but the file itself gets replaced every weekend. The last update happened just two days ago, late on Sunday evening - I did it myself :slight_smile:

I’m afraid previous weeks’ practices aren’t available; they get deleted whenever the new ones are uploaded.

3 Likes

I haven’t checked the contents that will be my next step, but I marked the listening exercise as completed a while back and it still says “You’ve completed this session” . I guess i should just ignore that. It was the green tick and label saying " You’ve completed this session" that made me think it was “stuck” :grinning:

EDIT - I have just checked and the listening exercise is different… So I guess I made a mistake, mae drwg gen i.

But, it would be better if the software let you mark it as completed, then reset back to un-completed when the new listening exercise is uploaded.

Thanks for the help by the way

1 Like

That’s a very good suggestion, and definitely an oversight on our part - the session completion stuff was really with the actual lessons in mind - so we either ought not to show it on the practice stuff, or to reset it for fresh uploads - thanks very much for pointing that out… :sunny: :star:

1 Like

In the Android app the sesson (even Listening practices) are shown when they were played the last time what clearly means one listened to them already. Marks with the lessons stay forever if not something comming in the midst, but while refreshing listening exercises, the marks are vanishing what literally means the listening practices are new (different) from the time you’ve last listened to them. However the app content needs to be refreshed manually (refresh tab top right of the screen).

So, the app has some advantages no matter that new BETA we’re testing or that one which is officially out for grabs on Google Play …

Oh, and one more thing regarding some other thing we’ve discussed here aswell at one point:
I remember one was asking about “wedi blino” a while ago and if @Iestyn says in one of the lesson that it literally means “I have tired” in Cymraeg. I’ve searched at that time for that part as I’ve remembered very clearly it was there but just couldn’t find it. Now, repeating the lessons once again I came caross that part where Iestyn introduces (well rather mentions) how “being tired” works in Cymraeg. If this still is of any interest to someone, this is in Course 1, Lesson 20 at about 21:52. He says literally this:

… Just one quick pointer: Did you get caught out by “We will be tired?” Remember, “tired” uses “wedi” . You say “I have tired” in Welsh so there is no “yn”. “Byddon ni’n cofio.” but “Byddon ni wedi blino”. Watch out for that in next few exercises and if you get it right, well done! …

Well, now you know …

2 Likes

Literally,“Dw’i wedi blino” is “I am after tiring” isn’t it? Nearest English being ‘I’ve tired’. :sleepy:

Well, I’ve just written literally what @Iestyn says in the lesson. I’ll leave up to him to comment on this though (if he’d want to and have time of course).

I just wanted to poit out that explanation exists and that I found it since there (somewhere) was quite a discussion that it’s not explained why we say “wedi blino” and not something differently.

@aran I think I’m losing my marbles!! I’m sure there are listening practices and possibly speaking ones in the Challenges as well as the lessons, and I can’t find them! Help please!