Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

If you go to the download page for every 5th lesson, you should see two files listed (two big play buttons with download links) - the second is the listening exercise for everything up to that point (I thought we’d put a title for them on the to-do list, but it seems to have disappeared, so I’ve put it up at the top of the list - by early next week, those 5th lesson pages should have a ‘Listening Exercise’ title above the second file… :sunny:

I’ve managed to make the plunge into Level 2 (Gog) challenges these past few days. Is it just me, or am I hearing a faint “s” after the “t” in words like “plant” and “eto”? Same goes for an ever-so-faint “r” after “ch” in “chi”. As a perfectionist :sunglasses:, I want to make sure I’m not picking up on a nuance that doesn’t actually exist (I noticed last autumn whilst visiting relatives on Ynys Môn that they too seemed to add an “s” to the end of Llantrisant–the village in which my great-grandfather was born.) Diolch yn fawr!

It’s just you, I’m afraid… :sunny:

I guess a ‘t’ can kind of sound a little sibilant, although I’m not sure where the imaginary ‘r’ might be coming from - but they’re both little audio ghosts that you don’t need to worry about… :sunny:

Texting in Welsh on mobiles.
I’ve just noticed that my ageing Android phone has the annoying habit of automatically capitalising the letter ‘i’ when it’s on it’s own, not to mention the poor things English based spell checker when writing in Welsh. How do you undo it? I know on proper computers you can install Welsh character sets, can you do this on Android too?

1 Like

I’ve just tried to train my Android that certain things are certain ways. That includes forcing it to accept Welsh words that I use a lot in texting, and remembering to tell it “no, I put it like I want it!” (the little white swish-arrow) when it tries to change things. The more often I do that, the better it gets at believing what I’m writing is intentional. But if there’s a Welsh character set out there, it might be useful, especially for things like letters with a to bach.

Diolch! Probably doesn’t help that I typically do the challenges whilst driving around Upstate New York–where we are far more likely to hit a white-tailed deer than a hard ‘t’! :wink:

2 Likes

I may be being particularly thick, but what should the file end up in my downloads as? I mean its name! I can’t find anything that seems to say Listening and 15s.

It’s C1WelshListen01.mp3 - if you roll your mouse over the big play arrow, you should be able to see the file title at the bottom of your browser window :sunny:

I am thick! I thought 01 was the 1st practice after lesson 5, 10 would be after challenge 10 and 15 after 15!!
edit: @aran, I think you’ve done a typo!! I found Listen03s and it was the one I wanted, where 01 is the first one after Challenge 5, I think!! However, it was your answer that helped me find it!!

1 Like

You might be able to get by by installing another language keyboard for a language that does not have spellcheck - that would avoid autocorrect.

For example, a Klingonist I know of said that she used to use the Icelandic keyboard to type Klingon on her iPhone because it had no spellcheck that would auto-miscorrect things for her. (But then they added Icelandic spellchecking at some point, I think - not sure what she uses now.)

Have a look around. Minor languages probably work best :slight_smile: I have Slovak on my iPad to type real Slovak with, but since it has no spellcheck I sometimes use it to type other languages as well.

2 Likes

A really excellent bilingual keyboard for Android is SwiftKey. You can tell it you type in English and Cymraeg and it will do gesture typing and predictive text for both, remarkably well. (For instance, it can tell which language you’re typing in, and will automatically know whether to capitalise an “i” or not.)

3 Likes

@aran Can you tell me the web address I should log into to get to SSiWelsh? I always end up in Spanish and it occurred to me that I just click on the icon my web server put up when I used it so much! If I change to something else, I might get straight to Welsh when I log in!?

www.SaySomethinginWelsh.com? :sunny:

Diolch yn fawr iawn @aran I thought that was what I was getting but no!! Now I used your link and wowee… Welsh straight away! No Spanish!! Dw’i hapus iawn!!

1 Like

Hello. How do I find the speeded up listening practices for the challenges in the new format please? Thanks Anne

@aran told me this quite recently. I’m not sure that the first is speeded, but for each, when you get to Challenge 5,10,15 etc you get two big arrows and two download offers. The top one is the Challenge and the bottom one is the Listening Practice. When it arrives as a download it is called

The following ones are Listen02, Listen03 etc!!
Hope this is helpful!
To @aran tt would be really helpful if it said
Challenge
before the top one and
Listening Practice
before the bottom one!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Slight confusion with these two sentences:
‘Mae gen i car newydd’ & ‘Mi ges i car newydd’
Are they the same meaning, to me they seem similar, but with ‘ges’ [cael] being more about the process of recieving the car, and the former just about possession?

Also use of ‘gyda’ now I’m going a bit Southern, is it used for both ‘gan’ and ‘efo’ ?
"Mae car newydd gyda fi’ & "Dwi mynd adre gyda Lisa’
“Mae gen i car newydd” & "Dwi mynd adre efo Lisa’

2 Likes

As far as I can see, you have answered your own question, and as far as my knowledge goes, you are perfectly correct! :smile:

(Well, except to make clear that “ges i” is past tense - i.e. “I got”, not “I get”).

2 Likes

Thankyou, I just needed someone to tell me I was on the right lines and not going mad! I meant ‘ges i’ as past tense! Oh, so "Dw i’n cael car newydd’ is ‘I am getting a new car’ [as in in the process of] ? Am I beginning to get my head around ‘cael’ ?
btw I am not getting a new car yet, it is just for practice.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn Henddraig.
I have now found the ones in level 1. Will there be some for level 2 in future? I seem to remember Aran saying they would be x3 …?!