Welsh produce in England

Hi,Shwmai to you all, I was walking by the canal near my home in Staffordshire today,when a boat went past with a sign on it saying “Speciality Welsh cheeses for sale” Unfortunately it didn’t tie up so I was unable to accost the owners and try out my Welsh on them.Not many opportunities near my home .Perhaps I’ll see them passing again__ though they may not speak welsh anyway. I haven’t posted on the forum before,it’s more daunting then learning Welsh! my IT skills are rather basic but I love reading the posts

5 Likes

A very warm welcome to you, Maureen - you seem to have cracked the IT side of things - and we’re always very happy to see new people posting, so I hope it’ll stop feeling daunting for you very soon :sunny:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @MaureenBeeson. Some basics of how work around some thing on the forum you might find here: Really useful ‘How to’ stuff and other great posts

Have fun and happy learning and posting.

2 Likes

Hi Maureen. Welcome to the forum. What a shame you missed out on the caws and possibility of siarad. Better luck next time!

1 Like

Croeso Maureen. :slight_smile:

Off the top of my head the only Welsh produce I’ve noticed in my part of Lloegr is the Anglesey sea salt, and that was in Waitrose, so not much change of a siarad, unless to myself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome, Maureen! I’d love to see a boat go past me with caws Cymraeg, or anything at all Cymraeg, but it’s since I live in the US it’s not likely to ever happen! :slight_smile: I hope it stops near you sometime in the future!

2 Likes

Lots of stuff leaks over the border, Menyn Cadog, Gorwedd Caerfili, Tan y Castell Welsh cakes, Jones’s crisps. The Mws Piws smugglers are the ones to watch out for😀

2 Likes

Lots of stuff leaks over the border

Diolch byth that Blodyn Aur Welsh Rapeseed Oil does too :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

You have now reminded me that Rachel’s butter also finds its way to Waitrose, one reason why I found “menyn” so easy to learn (as it’s printed on the packet), and I’d been subliminally implanting it years before I took up Welsh seriously.

2 Likes

My son sent me a picture of Colliers Welsh cheese available in a supermarket in Melbourne, Australia, so Welsh produce travels further than England.

3 Likes

Sure does - Halen Môn in our kitchen, must have for sauerkraut!

1 Like

Besychsur? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If it turns up on the Crinan Canal, Argyll, Yr Alban, I’ll let you know!! (Very unlikely, sadly!!). I remember once following a ‘South Wales Transport’ coach a long way along the winding, narrow A82 over “The Rest and Be Thankful”. When, at last, I had a chance to pass, I waved frantically, and hoped they could see my Cymru plate!! (I was still living on Gower at the time!)
Croeso, Maureen. Do not be shy!! :smiley:

1 Like

couple of years ago I saw Murroughs tea for sale in Tesco, Penzance.
I bought two boxes just because of the packaging

4 Likes

[quote=“llanddinol, post:10, topic:3453”]
Colliers Welsh cheese available in a supermarket in Melbourne, Australia[/quote]
I’ve seen those a number of times in a supermarket here in Missouri, and sometimes bought them.

[quote=“maikaefer, post:14, topic:3453”]
couple of years ago I saw Murroughs tea for sale in Tesco, Penzance[/quote]
I’ve bought that here at a specialty market (World Harvest) a while back but they haven’t had it for a while now.

2 Likes

Last Christmas, Santa left me some cheese from Snowdonia.
http://www.igourmet.com/search/search.asp?keywords=wales&search.x=0&search.y=0

and some Welsh Cakes.
http://www.welshbaker.com/Croeso_Welsh_Cakes

3 Likes

Wow, I had no idea I could find Welsh food in a U.S. supermarket. Now I’m going to start checking local markets! I want the tea, too!

I’ve been thinking about trying to make my own at home, but I wouldn’t know how authentic they were. I may have to order some of these :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know there is Welsh beer and Welsh whisky even.
Would it be silly to ask if there is any Welsh wine?
(I’m guessing not, though).

1 Like

Wine trail it is … :slight_smile:

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/attractions/food-and-drink/award-winning-wines-of-wales

2 Likes

There are quite a few vinyards in Wales. The wine produced at the vinyard in Tintern Monmouthshre has won prizes for its quality.

2 Likes