What's outside

Thank you @margaretnock

Yes, I am quite upset these days whitnessing all this mess all around on the World’s scene, however I tend not show this on here and I am trying to react calmly as much as possible even to the most bad or “stupid” things.

Well, but running around with photo camera always camls me down and I can sometimes stand at the window or somewhere outside for an hour or more, taking shot after shot as it all seams so beautiful to me. No, I don’t look only through the objective of the camera but with my bare eye(s) aswell and there are wonders around even on a cloudy sky or on ordinary grassfield. You just need to look around and take a closer look. I love summer evenings when there’s almost dark already, sitting on our balcony and listening to the sounds of the evening … :slight_smile:

It’s my pleasure to be of any support to whoever needs it and people just need some encouragmenet at some points so I’m extreamly happy I am able to encourage at least someone.

Back to topic course … I’ll probably post again about storks when they start to learn to fly which I believe will be prety soon. They will probably be on their leave at the end of the July or beginning of August and interestingly enough … youngsters leave first and the cupple stays for a day or two and only then the old couple goes back down to Africa too. :slight_smile:

Thank you once again …

3 Likes

I meant bird box!

Hehe, it definitely looks like it but he didn’t seem to be in that much of a hurry. (Unless they can’t go any quicker!) They just have such a funny leggy sort of gait - I’ve never seen it before. Ones I’ve seen in the woods always just curled up in a ball when they noticed humans ogling them.

Wow, that is some view from your window! Gorgeous! Maybe having that view makes your long bus rides to work worth the trip! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AnnaC as I drive for a work and back it is a bit different view in which direction you go. Going south you can see more or less flat landscape with grassfields and little forests but going back to north the mountains are in front of you all the time. So, yes it worth the time driving and observing especially when sun rises behind the mountins up and lit the tops with rays. :slight_smile:

@margaretnock I know what you meant. And thank you for your beautiful and kind words once again. :slight_smile:

@netmouse hedgehogs can be very quick and very noisy expecially at night. We have them around our house all the time but more in the Autumn when they search for last bits of food before the snow falls in the Winter. If it’s young hedgehog you better not try to touch it because it can happen mother would not like to care for it anymore after that. Otherwise they can be quie non-scared at all and don’t mind too much about people as long as they only watch them. :slight_smile: Well, what I never saw is that one would carry a peer on its back. If you can’t imagine what I mean …

This is how we’ve learnt in Kindergarten and primary school that hedgehog is collecting its food. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am glad you do not suffer from the scourge of the evenings - the Scottish midge!! :imp: Incredibly small, with terrible bites!!
p.s. Do I gather that you’ve had your vision fixed?

No, @henddraig, unfortunately my vision will never be fixed. But, you know that saying: “Who is not able to see with their eyes, they see with their heart.” I’m certailny trying to go with that. If I am successful in that or not, the others may tell, not I … :slight_smile:

Noswaith ma …

Linden tree (coeden pisgwydden)

It is blooming right now and bees are hard at work. It smells very nice in deed.

I’ve go ta supervisor … It’s neighbours (actually my cousin’s) and not mine and, sorry, I forgot what bread she is.

Hazelnuts (cnau cyll) are that big already. Just a bit and I will ba able to grab some for eating. I love early hazelnuts not too ripe yet.

Lettuce (letys) is growing quite well in our garden and we ate it some already. Are you curious how we prepare lettuce? here’s a little video about how (created by me, of course, (who other should that be) quite a while ago).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Now you’ll hear my voice!!! (haha)

And now something especially for @henddraig - clear view of our mountains behind our house.

Hwyl!
Tatjana

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your video! I love the light in the linden tree photo. Your mountains are beautiful.

And you have a really nice voice, too :slight_smile:

Haha! It is cracked in the last part of the video. But thank you!

1 Like

I didn’t notice that! I agree with @AnnaC, it’s lovely!
Nawr te…
1, I thought you mentioned driving to work, which implies reasonable vision! (I lapsed my Licence due to poor peripheral vision in my right eye.)
2. Linden trees are called Limes in UK, despite not being anything to do with lime fruit! Cymraeg ? I think - bisgwydden! They tend to be used to line streets in cities and they drop something (sap? pollen?) on parked cars! They used to get grimy with soot and now probably get killed by diesel fumes. Sad.
3. Gorgeous mountains, gorgeous views. Diolch yn fawr iawn! If it ever stops raining and we get a bit of sunshine, I’ll try to get a back and front view from our house! (Sheer slope up hill at back! Pretty valley at front with roofs of recent bungalows shutting out a lot!)

1 Like

Sap and pollen are certainly possible but it is more likely to be honey dew,
That is sap which has been sucked from the plant by green fly or it’s (aphid) relatives and is then passed out of them in droplets.

Heddiw - today.
Luckily someone was near me with a camera phone.

Llifbryf Mawr y goedwig - Giant wood wasp.

Mae’r llifbryf mawr y goedwig yn llifbryf enfawr.
Mae’r fenyw yn ddu a melyn ac mae ganddo ‘pigo’ hir; hyn mewn gwirionedd ei ovipositor trwy mae hi’n dodwy ei wyau i mewn pren, yn enwedig pinwydd.
Mae’r larfa yn byw yn bren o goed pinwydd, lle maent yn treulio hyd at bum mlynedd yn datblygu.
Wedi dod o hyd ger coedwigoedd pinwydd, neu leoedd lle mae pren pinwydd yn cael eu defnyddio.
(Fel lle fi oedd yn gweithio heddiw). maent yn ddiniwed i ni.

The Giant Wood Wasp is a massive sawfly.
The female is black and yellow and has a long ‘sting’; this is actually her ovipositor through which she lays her eggs into wood, especially pine.
The larvae live in the wood of pine trees, where they spend up to five years developing.
Found near pine woods, or places where pine timbers are used.
(like where i was working today). they are harmless to us.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Oh, I meant by bus and so did @AnnaC probably. So, no, I don’t drive by car though. I might say I travel by bus to work rather then drive to work. :slight_smile:

I found coeden pisgwydden in dictionary so I thought it’s probably the right one.

Thank you .

Hardly wait to see. :slight_smile:

I am surrounded by pine trees, but have never seen the fly! Janet used to work in the forest, but anything wasp-like would have caused her to depart fast![quote=“tatjana, post:1657, topic:971”]
Hardly wait to see
[/quote]
Don’t hold your breath! We are having weather the Scots call ‘dreich’ (pronouced ‘dreech’) i.e. dull, wet and temperature which reminds me we are north of Moscow!

Having lived in Scotland, and married to a Scot, I well recognise dreich, I think it translates as diflas in Welsh.

1 Like

Even to the fact that my ap gave ‘diflas’ as ‘boring and tedious’ as well as ‘dull and miserable’!!
Now, Janet gets up before me. This morning she saw a bird she absolutely had to snap!

Now many of you are thinking, "Why on earth was she so keen to get a picture of a starling - drudwy, they are so common?
Well, my Bird Book seems to think so too. I looked for their range because I hadn’t seen one since moving here 13 years ago. Janet has lived here since 1962 and had never seen one here before!! The book has all Scotland coloured green for them as here, but we beg to differ! Could this be global warming?
Oh, @ramblingjohn Janet says she saw this one with two brown birds. The book shows a picture of a brown bird and seems to say that is how they look when moulting. Could the one above be a grown-up chick and the brown ones she was too late to snap, its parents?
Later this morning, Janet finally put out some feeders, only half full to see how we went, and a fat candle. She didn’t think the birds would find them for a while, but…

Oh, the fat candle did get takers too, just not while I was there with ipad! All by self at left, robin goch fach!!

6 Likes

The brown ones will be the youngsters.

Heddiw - Today.

Sgorpionllys y gors - Water forget me not.

Cribau’r pannwr gwyllt - Teasel
bydd’r planhigion yn dechrau blodauo’n fuan - the plant will start flowering soon.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Diolch John! I looked online and found pics showing young brown starlings and this morning we finally saw Mam, Tada a phlant! Also, on checking my efforts from yesterday, I found… not a good shot, but still one I didn’t realise I’d got of Mam or Dad eating seeds! -

I am not sure who, or even what bird is underneath, but the starling is on the feeder!
We saw ‘our’ vole again yesterday and Janet got a movie on her phone, from which we hope to get a still! I know I have seen a mouse in the same area, (long tall, big ears, pretty little face!), but maybe vole has frightened it away?!
I tried to grow teasels in our gardd wyllt. They did lovely for a year or two and then died - i know not why!!
Later:
Well, here goes, but it is not a good picture, I find it helps to tip my screen & increase the contrast!

Not, I think, a mouse. When I look up ‘vole’ I get llygoden which is mouse!! Help!

5 Likes

It looks like a mouse to me, the nose looks relatively blunt and i think i can see a hint of white on the under belly. (but yes a better photo would help)

Heddiw - today.

yr coeden dderw - the oak tree.

Chwilen hirgorn ddu a melyn - yellow and black long horn beetle.

Mantell dramor sy’n dod o Affrica - Painted lady which has come from Africa. (looking rather journey worn).

Picellwr cyffredin benywaidd - female common darter. (click on image for full size).

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Sorry about the quality - it is always dark just there and he or she scuttles fast! (I think aiming for my radishes!). Now, John bach, mae ddrwg gen i ond… I still think ‘vole’ - in fact, llygoden bengron goch - bank vole! I will not post the Latin name as well!!
Reasons:

1. I saw a little mouse there once and its ears were much bigger and its tail longer. This is the long-term resident which we always thought was a vole.
  2. I looked up pics of wood mouse and bank vole on Google and the vole ones are much. much more like ours than the mouse ones!!

I’m not saying I’m right, just that I think I am just now!!!

yr coeden dderw - the oak tree.
I will not show your pic to our baban bach. He might get jealous!!! Seriously, lovely tree and lesson for us that ours will still be there long after the house unless someone comes with an axe. (It will be ‘either-or’ because there isn’t room for little tree to grow really big.) Apart from anything else, the ground there gets pretty steep pretty quickly and it’s pretty wet!

1 Like