What's outside

I would not claim i’m right either and feel sure will both be happy what ever the outcome.:slight_smile:

Heddiw - today.

Blaen brigyn - Buff tip. (i can only guess this moth had just emerged from it’s pupae and climbed up the plant to expand and dry it’s wings, it looks so pristine i was lucky to pass at the right time).

Gwibiwr bach - Small skipper.

Gwenyn mêl yn hedfan tuag blodau o efwr, yn barod i gasglu paill a neithdar.
Honey bee flying towards flowers of hogweed, ready to collect pollen and nectar.

Gwenyn mêl arall gyda codennau paill braidd’n llawn.
Another honey bee with pollen sacks fairly full.

Pryf sgorpion - scorpion fly (i think this one is a female as the abdomen is not re-curved like a scorpions tail which is how the male got the species it’s name).

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Tatyana, I can see the lovely mountain pictures, and the trees, but for some reason where the stork pics should be I see only blank spaces:(

John, most winters wood wasps fly out of the woodpile in our house, fooled into thinking the warmth from our log burner means it us spring and they can stop hibernating. They are magnificently fierce looking, but do no harm.

1 Like

Definitely strange as when i go back over a month i can see all of @tatjana s photos, including the storks, i could copy and paste them here but don’t like to interfere with other peoples posts.
What i also notice is they must be linked to an outside store (i think) as some have little numbers to their right hand side which i see on none of my photo’s which are uploaded to the forum server.
I’m sure, Tatjana fach, bydd yn esbonio yn fuan.

Cheers J.P.

Well, I’ve scrolled up to my first Stork photo and also to my last, but everything is in its place so I really don’t know what could go wrong but it has obviously do something with your computer or browser.

Janet took this bore 'ma. It isn’t a brilliant view, but it is one of what we think are drudwen ifanc (young starlings).

@ramblingjohn My hairdresser who has lived all her life in mid-Argyll, has never seen a starling. Do you have any idea why they are so rare here? I was once in Huddersfield one evening and I saw what I believe is common in Aberystwyth, hundreds, thousands, flyng in from all over, family groups gathering and chatting… like the Eisteddefod or Sioe Frenhinol or Cardiff on match day!!

4 Likes

Drudwen ifanc. It is definitely a young starling as the adults were still feeding it along with the rest of the brood.

4 Likes

I see the storks! Not sure what was going on, but today there were still blanks where the photos should be. I tapped the blank space in frustration and a new window opened with the photos there. The window was a Dropbox one. Then I went back to this page and the photos were ther. Magic! ( to me, but I’m sure it makes perfect sense to you techies out there.)

They look straight out of the cartoon seren sent us a link to:)

Dw i ddim yn gybod beth yw hwn!!
The rains have come to the area where I work and they have been pretty substantial I was looknig in one of the large puddles which has formed in an area that is usually very dry and dusty and saw these…Lots of them. They look pretty prehistoric and also interesting, so I though I would put them here.

6 Likes

Is there any way you can find out? Locals? Books? (though based on my bird book, that might not be very helpful!), on line?? If you find what they are, please do tell us!! I think that one is lovely!!
p.s. to @tatjana I grow lolla rosa lettuce instead of green, but from then on, if I didn’t hate vinegar and dislike too much salt, we’d do about the same, As it is I use a small amount of ‘smoked salt’ from Halen Mon and lemon juice instead of vinegar!

2 Likes

Looks like a horseshoe crab to me…but as far as I know they’re only on the coast.

1 Like

arall

4 Likes

Gaeafau dydd iawn!! Nice winters day, This is where they were living.

4 Likes

Ahh, dw i’n gybod beth yw hwn,
Triops australiensis Shield Shrimp
http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Crustaceans/Common+freshwater+and+terrestrial+crustaceans/Shield+Shrimp#.V3uX1_l96Uk

5 Likes

Oh wow! In a way, not unlike leatherback turtle!!

1 Like

Well that is a rather good question, as first i didn’t know they were rare up north, but as you now have them in your garden it prompts me to think maybe their territory is migrating north which has been noted for some butterfly species. (time will tell).

Heddiw - today.

Exuvae - the empty case of a gweision y neidr - dragonfly larvae which has crawled up the plant as the final instar of it’s developmental form and emerged from the case to fly away (a good example of the wonder that is nature).

Barf y gafr sydd yn datblygu hadau - goats beard which is developing seeds.

Barf y afr sydd wedi agor, gyda hadau barod i fynd ar y gwynt - goats beard which has opened, with seed ready to go on the wind.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

I don’t know that they are, only in mid-Argyll!! However, there is a virtually permanent occupation of our fat candle. Janet has seen 4 young ones. I am only sure of 2 and I cannot be certain how many are determined to eat every morsel of fat candle, but the one I see mostly is beginning to get more like its mam and tada in colouring, especially its wings! I am not sure whether all 4 are offspring of the two adults I’ve seen or if there is another family! The usual occupier of the fat candle was very fretful about the arrival of a collared dove, until he/she worked out that dove was only eating seed and was no threat! The little birds don’t seem nervous of either species, but the dove was a bit circumspect in its approach!

1 Like

Heddiw, - today. (early start to open moth trap, the weather was dull so rather to many dull photos).

Gwenesgod ol-adain dywyll - smoky wainscot.

Catoptria pinella - Pearl grass veneer. (couldn’t find a welsh name for this so used the Latin).

Gwyfyn dotiog - Dot moth.

Gwyfyn cynffon gwennol - Swallow tail moth.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

So many different types of moths that I never even knew existed before. Thank you J P.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I still find moths disconcerting - flappy - give me reptiles any day! Here, this is a threesome. The other one of four would not get into the same picture!
edit: it has come to my attention that the blur on the right hand side is the other one in flight!!

Also, this bran lwyd - hooded crow
is much paler than they usually are. Any ideas why?

6 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Well as ever the British will end up saying “it’s been a funny old year”.
A well attended butterfly meet in July and yes it was cloudy with occasional spells of sunshine and not hot, so we would not expect to see the special butterflies people had come in the hope of seeing, never the less it could always turn out to be a day of interest with potential surprises (true for any day).

Gwibiwr mawr - Large skipper.

Just to set the scene: for the last two autumns i have been looking for a fungus that i have seen in the past but failed to find it.
Remember today is July, so i was very surprised when i happened upon what may be interest to other people here, diddorol i bawb arall - interesting to other people!

What we actually have in the photo is two species of fungi - dau rhywogaeth o fwng.
The large one is the very common earth ball Scleroderma citrinum.
Growing around (from the same base) is Boletus parasiticus (much less common/ rare).
Note: from the Latin name the bolete has always been considered a parasite on the earth ball, but modern thinking/observation has called this description into doubt, some people are convinced the relationship is mutual (comensal).

One example of the joy for me that is modern cameras (i tell people it’s like having a new pair of eyes).

Tarianbryf - sheild bug (but which species, this caught my eye on an oak branch, and i have never seen a white sheild bug. when i got home and put the photo on a big screen i notice what i had not seen in the wild. To the right of the bug is the empty case it has just emerged from, like many things they have a kind of external skeleton which they shed as they grow and develop a new one, (or is it an albino!!!) need expert advice on this.

Cheers J.P (ain’t funny old years interesting).

6 Likes