What's outside

Oh. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

I love this! You sing very well. :slight_smile: Thank you in deed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the song @ramblingjohn! Croeso cynnes i Gymru @tatjana.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

A large flock (at least 50) of starlings has been reported down in Ardrishaig. I have failed to find any information about what causes these to leave an area or return after many ( about 40+) years. So far we are nowhere near the numbers which I once saw take over the entire centre of Huddersfield, but, while one family is lovely, especially once in 40 years, zillions is not so easy to live with!!! Any ideas anyone, as to whether we are likely to reach ‘cursing them’ conditions in a year or so?

1 Like

Very hard to predict, as populations move around (apparently randomly) and can grow or shrink.
I went to north Wales this week, and on passing the Osprey (Gwalch y pysgod) nest could clearly see 3 large chicks (soon be flying) on the nest (with adult nearby).
Those where near Dovey junction a good 60 miles south of my destination.
Great, i know what they look like and they seem to be doing fine.
Imagine my surprise early Wednesday morning when standing on the patio at Plas tan y bwlch, when i felt sure that was an Osprey which went flying by, I queried this later with a member of staff as i was afraid of making a mis-identification, the reply was, oh yes we think there are six in the north now.

Plas tan y bwlch has many surprises, this time an indoor bat (ystlum) which was returned to the outside.

By carefully closing doors, we gradually steered the bat into the common room, with that door shut and all windows open it eventually flew outside to freedom once again.
I suspect going by size this was a horseshoe bat but it never landed for a good photo.
I now have 350 photo’s to sort and label and will post a few here tomorrow.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

A few photos from my time at Plas tan y bwlch (includes Copyn alert).

Gem smotiau aur - Gold spot.

Carpiog derw - Scalloped oak.

Gleysn serennog - Silver studded blue.

Brith llwyf - clouded magpie.

Godre golau - Bordered beauty.

Gwennol - Swallow.

Chwilen gladdu goch a du - Sexton beetle.

Sioncyn gwyrdd cyffredin - Common green grasshopper.

Copyn y gors - Swamp spider.

Gwlithlys - Round leaved sundew.

Llyffant y gwair S.P. - species of leaf hopper.

Cleiswyfyn brown - Brown china mark.

Siobyn bwaog - Black arches.

Rhywogaeth o ichnewmon - species of ichneumon.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

John - you find such lovely moths! The photos you post are just wonderful. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

2 Likes

If all my least favourite creatures were as pretty, I might lose my phobia!

2 Likes

you are too kind, the course i was on trapped 140 different species in a week (all released unharmed), plus out to different environments each day, leads to a huge opportunity for photos.
on i’n mynd allan gyda pawb arall heddiw i gwilio a dysgu enw am ychydig o blodau - i was out today with other people to see and learn a little of flower names.

Cribau’r pannwr gwyllt - Teasel.

Briwydd felen - Lady’s bedstraw.

Geuberllys - Fools parsley.

Y ganrhi goch - common centaury.

Yr wydro wen - White melilot.

fel mae fy mgymraeg, mae 'na fordd hir i mynd (wastad mwy i dysgu) - Like my welsh, there is a long way to go (always more to learn).

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Any idea why ‘goch’?? It doesn’t seem at all red to me!! :slight_smile:
There is certainly always more to learn! It makes life interesting however long one lives!!! :smile:

1 Like

Possibly got it’s name before Welsh included ‘bink’.

Cheers J.P.

But to my eye it is pale lilac!!!

Second batch of things seen while at Plas tan y bwlch.

Ypsolopha sequella.
I put this in for fun, a very small micro moth know as the bunny moth because the black shape on it’s back is likened to a playboy bunny, (for those who have watched welsh TV, i think it looks like wibly soch’s shadow).

Ermin bach ceirios - Bird cherry ermine.

Helyglys hardd - Rosebay willowherb.

Emrallt mawr - Large emerald.

Celyn y mor - Sea holly.

Llin y llyffant - Common toadflax.

Teigr cochddu - Ruby tiger.

Perlog - Mother of pearl.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Exactly like! Should be gwyfyn wibly in Welsh!!

I’ve not been posting any snaps lately as we’ve struggled to get broadband yng Nghymru. But we have it at long last so here goes.

Some neighbours - cymdogion

& a fly & a moth which I have tried to identify.

Noon fly? I was rather taken with his golden wings - adenydd aur.

Brith y cyrens - the magpie moth

5 Likes

These aren’t the best pictures but I was watching this House Martin - gwennol y bondo - looking out of his rather dirty nest looking for his Mam.

Still looking … ble mae hi?

8 Likes

A little local wandering and then six moth traps running over night, the early start held much excitement which proved to be worth while (here is a small selection).

sioncyn y rhos - Heath grass hopper.

Brychan cyffredin - Common carpet.

Mantell dramor - Painted lady.

Moca bedw - Birch mocha.

Cwlwm cariad - True lovers knot.

Cathen helyg - Sallow kitten.

Pyrausta aurata - Mint moth (no welsh name, the English name refers to its food plant).

Moca gwridog - Maidens blush.

Ol adain felen hardd - Beautiful yellow underwing. (really pleased when this appeared as i had only seen it once before).

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

By the way, I’ve realised that my laptop mutes red colours! I saw one of your pics on my ipad and realised at once that it was much more on the red end of the spectrum there than here on laptop!! I haven’t a clue if I can adjust this! Maybe when she’s back on the Forum @tatjana may know?

Heddiw - Today.

Edafeddog lwyd - Common cudweed.

Ysgallen siarl - Carline thistle.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Cerddinen - Rowan.

Yr Derwen 31/07/16 - The Oak today.

Pannog felen - Great mullein.

Llydan y ffordd - Greater plantain.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes