What's outside

Yn yr ardd y penwythnos 'ma - in the garden this weekend.

Telor yr Helyg - I think - Willow Warbler

Bronfraith - Song Thrush - yn mwynhau cyrensen ddu - enjoying a blackcurrant.

My best guess is Bidog y Poplys - Poplar grey. I have been enjoying the great photos of moths from @ramblingjohn not just for the amazing diversity of colours but their names too. I especially liked the Cwlwm Cariad - True lover’s knot. Poplar grey isn’t quite so romantic sounding.

6 Likes

Oh, John, I’ve been waiting tor the light to be right on our old rowan in the back (not wild) garden, because its berries are the best for years! But your pic is exactly as it looks!! I will wait until I can get a good view of all its lichen in the autumn - it stays green without leaves!! The problem with light is that when well lit, the sun tends to be such that I can’t point at the tree without pointing at the sun, due to the slope!
p.s. It’s not just the rowan bearing fruit, our Victoria plum has more than ever before, I just hope they last until ripe, one has dropped already!

2 Likes

This is clearly a cultivar, so, one might think, not wild. However, I was looking at it with the sun shining on it, and I thought, “To think you were grown from a packet of seeds marked as ‘Dwarf Nasturtiums’!”, which seemed to make it worth having a go at a pic, though with the sun shining on my screen it was hard to see what I was doing!
Oh dear it’s not in focus!

edit: Gosh! I’ve got 3 likes! I must post more out-of-focus pics of plants climbing down hoses and up railings!

4 Likes

I came across this Gwennol y Bondo - House Martin - outside my back door this afternoon. I’d heard a bang & think he may have hit the window. I looked away momentarily & he was gone, so I’m assuming all’s well that ends well. Nice to be able to see his feathered legs & toes.

8 Likes

The like’s may be for what you wrote :sunny:

Heddiw - today.

Grug y mel - Bell heather.

Criciedyn hirgorn tywyll benywaidd - female dark bush cricket.

Chwydden goronog - knopper gall (now appearing on acorns (worth looking for)).

Ddau gloynnod byw, Gleslyn cyffredin, gwrywaidd ar y dde, benywaidd ar y chwith. - two butterflies, common blues, male on the right, female on the left.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

I take it that butterflies are no longer allowed any privacy! Beautiful picture, though.

Well, it’s just a question of what i am lucky enough to see.
I try not to repeat species unless i get a better image or group photo, or different stage of development, oh dear there seems to be a lot of exceptions.
It would be a lot easier if i could identify the hundreds of pretty plants i see.
Anyway, it’s been some time since we have seen an image of your garden delights :blush:

Heddiw, on i’n lwcus i cael amser wrth ochr camlas - today i was lucky to get time beside the canal.

Hadau onnen - Ash seeds (another tree looking abundant this year).

Aeron gwifwrnwydden - Wayfaring tree berries.

Mintys y dwr - Water mint.

Cyngaf mawr - Greater burdock.

Mulfran ifanc - young cormorant (it seemed curious at the amount of staring people it attracted (unfortunately the light was wrong from this angle for a good photo)).

From the other side you can see much better detail of the feather pattern (click on images for full size).

Gwyn gwythiennau gwyrddion ar dail o danadl poethion - Green veined whithe on nettle leaf.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Hello, John. I was only teasing; I just thought that if I were one of those butterflies I would prefer not to be disturbed!! I haven’t gone digital yet so I don’t get my pictures until I finish the roll. We have rowan berries still green, spring cabbages planted in the autumn and only just mature after an awfully long, wet winter, damsons still green, etc but some lovely raspberries which we ate instead of taking their picture!

1 Like

Was he/she auditioning for Autumn Watch perhaps? I get the impression that all this posing went quite on a long time!!
To @raymondkefford Where are you? It’s been a long something here in the west of Scotland, but it was only one day of Summer!

We are several hundred feet up in the Pennines near where the M62 crosses from Liverpool to Hull. Winters are bleak, Summers are usually beautiful but not yet this year.

I used to commute one day a week from Harrogate to Huddersfield on the Trans-Pennine train! There was only one occasion when it didn’t reach us and a kind driver took four of us to Wakefield to connect with the London-Newcastle line! But I remember some very cold weather even there! (I believe they were just beginning to build the M62 when I was last in Huddersfield!)
Have you signed the petition for proper funding for S4C? If so, thank you! If not… :smile:

And once, when walking some of the Pennine Way, with my then 11 year old daughter, she managed to get stuck in a bog in Saddleworth Moor. I did, after a while and a lot of adrenaline, manage to rescue her, fully aware of the history of the place, how remote it is and how high it is above sea level.

I looked up where this is. It looks like a beautiful place, but that sounds like a fairly terrifying experience!

To @raymondkefford I think I owe you :-

To @margaretnock
Absolutely horrifying! Terrified for your daughter and trying not to think about who might be in that bog and whether you would disturb him! I am not sure that I would ever have been willing to walk on Saddleworth Moor after Brady and Hindley were found out and the failure to find at least one body was known.

1 Like

I assumed you were, :slight_smile:

Yes; it was still doing so when i left.

Not a lot of new and interesting things at the moment.

Mae’r chwydden geirios wedi dechrau ymddangos rwan, o dan dail derwen. - the cherry galls have started appearing under oak leaves now.

yr ail genhedlaeth o Melyn y rhafnwydd yn ymddangos - the second generation of Brimstone are appearing.

Melyn y rhafnwydd ar ysgallen y gors - Brimstone on marsh thistle (those with keen eyes may see it’s proboscis).

Easier to see in this image .

But not a flattering photo of this beautiful butterfly. (click on images for full size).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Another strange day when i failed often - Diwrnod rhyfedd arall pan fi wedi methu yn aml.

To start, i knew a steam train would be stopping at the local station.
i took some photos.

Tren ager neu trên stêm. (i then move to a more elevated position to get some film of the train leaving.

Woops, 7 seconds and my batteries finnished. (ho hum, mumble grumble, silly me).

Inspired by posts elswhere on the forum, i looked for a mole but didn’t see one so i made up this image which may make some ones day @henddraig

useful number if you want to study chemistry - Rhif ddefnyddiol os ydych’n am astudio cemeg.

Dyfrlliw brwyn - Rush veneer.

Now a bit of a surprise as two aircraft appeared overhead practicing aerobatics.

Awyren - aeroplane. (unfortunately there was enough breeze across the microphone to blot out the sound of the aircraft).
Now i must admit, i don’t know the welsh for loop the loop - Nawr mae’n rhaid i mi gyfaddef, nid fi yn gwybod yr Gymraeg am ‘loop the loop’.
Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Nice! It took a few moments but the penny finally dropped!

2 Likes

As a chemistry graduate many years ago, this tickled me John :slight_smile:

Stu

1 Like

And it made me laugh as well.

1 Like

Yes, more on my lack of need for it now on the other thread! Meanwhile, Diolch a dyma fe:-

small and sweet!! (From a well known book!)

1 Like