A ridiculous idea - I need help!

What a brilliant idea. Let’s hope it gets lots of media coverage and you can attract some ‘Celebrity’ speakers to the Hangout.

As someone who has been hugely inspired by SSiW if course I will be there.

2 Likes

Making a note to check in to Slack and Shwmae when it’s Monday night here in NY, late night over there. If I can navigate Slack, which has stumped me a couple of times.

1 Like

Hi @Iestyn - will you be streaming via YouTube as well (in the same way that the current 6MWS do?) this gives a pretty good chat facility too.

Myself and @Novem do this quite regularly with our hangouts, so if you need any cyngor there, you only need ask :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK Back from an absolutely amazing Bwtcamp with some fabulous people, exhausted, and ready to go!

The Shwmaeathon is now official - it will be happening. Not only that, but I have just become a Shwmae Su’mae Champion… How exciting is that?

And so, diolch yn fawr, @Nicky, I will be picking your brains very soon, and possibly pushing you for a practice session before the big day. In 14 days time, I will be in the 9th hour of the Shwmaeathon, and possibly still sane…

4 Likes

Any time!

The beauty of working from home is that I’ll try and join the hangout for as long as possible as well!

Very exciting. I’l be ready to participate how and when (within reason). I’d appreciate a step by step guide on how to participate, though. I’ve rejoined WSP slack and setup google hangouts for the purpose so what next? :smile:

1 Like

Hello Huw!

Iestyn will probably clarify if anything is different on the day, but if you connect to welshspeakingpractice.slack.com on the day, you will need to browse to the #hangouts channel on the left hand menu.

When Iestyn starts his hangout, he will put a link in that channel. Clicking that link, (can’t guarantee for your mad Linux build though!!) should open a Google Hangouts window hosted by Iestyn himself.

I believe the only requirements are a Google account of some persuasion (for the Hangout - although I’m sure you can join without one. I’m always signed into Google, so I’ve never really had to check)

I’ve generally found that Chrome/Chrome-subtitutes are the best browsers for compatibility with Hangouts. Others have mentioned Opera and Firefox but I’ve not used them to test.

1 Like

It would be very strange if Chrome wouldn’t be the best suitable since it is that of Google itself. I think (as much as I could see) you can access hangouts also directly from Gmail if you have one so there’s a lot of possibilities as long as you have Google acount.

The best thing with google is that you can login with the Gmail (Google acount) wherever into the Google services you want from hangouts, G+, AdWords, Adsens, YouTube and all other thingys, name them. :slight_smile:

I’m also constantly signed into Google so there might be differences also I have my Google acount connected with a lot of services, especially on the mobile devices.

If you’re on mobile device everything might be simpler with the hangouts app but the simplest is still having the app on the PC.

Happy Shwmae-ing @Iestyn! For now I’m bound to be there at some point of the day probably when I come back from work.

2 Likes

@Iestyn Probably an idea to add it to the WSP events-calendar channel beforehand too - that way everyone will get a ‘heads up’ when it’s about to start :grinning: (and be able to look up the date if they forget when it’ll be :wink: )

5 Likes

To add to what @siaronjames has suggested, might it be an idea for @Iestyn to put his full introductory post (possibly tweaked a little) on the events-calendar channel well in advance - and it wouldn’t hurt if it went on 1 or 2 other channels as well, such as maybe general chat or announcements. Not everyone who uses WSP sees these Forum columns, and possibly better to have a little over-publicity for an event like this than not quite enough?

8 Likes

Syniad gwych! I’m up for it!
Mi wna i ddweud wrth Grwp Sgwrs a Pheint Dyffryn Nantlle am y peth hefyd.
Dolch @Iestyn

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, @Nicky - popeth yn glir (Thanks - everything clear).

I have already set up Google Hangouts and come across the fact that they don’t seem to like Firefox so I shall use Chrome or Chromium (Ubuntu) if that works, too.

Wela i ti yn Aberteifi Dydd Sadwrn (see you Sat)

3 Likes

Great idea! I’ll definitely join in.
Dw i newydd ymddeol felly unrhyw adeg.

2 Likes

Great Idea Iestyn, Looking forward to saying “shw mae” and seeing the face behind those dulcet tones.

1 Like

Okay, having just ascertained that the UK and we will both still be on Summer (“daylight saving”) time on that day, I’m in. I’ll need an invitation to join slack (which I keep forgetting to ask for) and I will be available any time from about 3pm UK time (9am here) to about 9pm UK time (3pm here). [Confusing enough? :thinking: ]

3 Likes

Hello @Sionned. I’ve sent an inivation to the last gmail address I have. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @HuwJones! Got it!

1 Like

Hello. How do we get an invitation to join slack please?

1 Like

email your request to admin@saysomethingin.com and you’ll get an invite back - then just follow the instructions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

13 posts concerning the spurious Slack limit and our attempts to provide Iestyn with more reliable numbers were merged into an existing topic: Shwmaeathon - who and when?
I hope that makes sense. :crossed_fingers:
Huw