All human life is there

I joined the Welsh Speaking Practice group in March 2018. During the first heady week, I talked to 12 people in 6 countries, and I was hooked.

It’s been a blast. I’ve chatted to a novelist, a rock star, a magician, a stonemason, a midwife and a sheep farmer, to name just a few. I’ve been serenaded on the flugelhorn, the mandolin and the harp, and an opera singer reduced me to tears with her Welsh singing. People have shown me their (or other people’s, which was cheating) home-made things - a greenwood chair, voodoo dolls, plums in red wine, and even a bike.

I’ve chatted to people in their living rooms, kitchens, offices, garages, garden, swimming pool and a wooden box. And sometimes in the early hours, I’ve switched off my camera and had a chat from the comfort of my bed. I’ve said hello to curious partners and kids, and been interrupted by boisterous dogs and hungry cats.

100 different people in 23 different countries (by my eccentric definition) have chatted to me in Welsh. It’s been a particular thrill to chat with absolute beginners, stumbling over, ‘X dw i. Dw i’n byw yn Y’, and, a few short months later, have to ask them to slow down a bit because their Welsh is now better than mine.

Many of these 100 are people I’ve spoken to only once; I hope you’re still enjoying learning Welsh, and it would be great to catch up with you at some point. Others have become regular conversation partners and friends, and a few of us have had the chance to meet up in Wales.

SSiW, and its open chat group, WSP, remains the kindest and most encouraging place on the internet. If you haven’t yet had a Welsh conversation with another human being, you can’t do better than joining the group and asking who’s available to chat. A reminder that to join, you simply send an e-mail to: admin@saysomethingin.com with WSP in the heading.

There are more than 700 people in the group now, so my weekly Chatathon is no longer necessary. But I’ll be popping in regularly to see who’s around, and hope to talk to old and new friends very soon.

P.S. For those who prefer group hangouts to one-to-one chats, there’s Siaron’s Show and Tell on Mondays, Film Club on Tuesdays, and Singing Session on Thursdays… or you can open your own hangout and invite people in!

14 Likes

Which platform does this group run on?

It’s on Slack.

2 Likes

Hey @BronwenLewis, you’ve been one of the very first people I spoke to on Slack!
I’m sure many like me are grateful for your patience at listening our terrible Welsh. :wink:

Last week I was about to call you during the Chatathon but as soon as I was ready to call you…a blackout in this area shut the computer and the Internet down completely!
Now I’m writing this I realize it sounds almost like Jake in the Blues Brothers (for any fans of Belushi and the movie around the Forum, and for a smile).

Thanks a lot and, well, I hope to meet you there again in random hours anyway, and in Wales too! :slight_smile: :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Diolch Bronwen for being such a kind and patient conversation partner! You did so much to help me boost my confidence in speaking. :sunny: Oh, and your post card mailed days ago…

1 Like

This is good timing for me. I reached the end of level 3 and still haven’t spoken to anyone…:sweat:

Learning Welsh is the easy bit - speaking it is the difficult bit because it’s nothing to do with knowing the words, it’s all to do with having the confidence to use the words aloud. Do give WSP (Welsh Speaking Practice) on Slack a go, there are plenty of people there to practise with, all with different levels of Welsh (and confidence!), and building confidence there really does make speaking Welsh “in the wild” when you get the chance so much easier. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s easy to put right!!! Talk to you soon!!!

Hello! I know this is an old thread but it popped up on my feed this morning… probably all the speaking advice I’ve been looking at! I’d love to chat to you yn Gmraeg at some point, although I have to warn you about my poor level of Welsh at the moment! Would you mind that?

Thanks,

Lucy :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind my mistakes, I’ll overlook yours! Get in touch…

1 Like