Announcing: our new '6 Month Welsh Speaker' course

To paraphrase a couple of minds better than mine, perhaps inspiration for us all:

Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

You can do it! - The Waterboy

To be is to do - Satre

To do is to be - Socrates

Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

Looking forwards to Monday, let’s get it on.

4 Likes

Probably seeming a bit dim here, but can I sign up to the 6 month course as a complete beginner? I have absolutley no welsh language knowledge (yet), but its something that I would really like to change.

Firstly, Hiya and welcome to the forum.

I believe that the course is for new starters or returners etc, who want to jump in and commit to 6 months of intense training.

I’m sure someone will confirm one way or the other.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely… :slight_smile: It’s designed to work even for absolute, complete beginners, who have never previously heard a word of Welsh…:slight_smile:

And also for intermediate, maybe up to intermediate+… :slight_smile:

Thats Brilliant,

Thanks for your quick reply, I shall sign up straight away :smile:

2 Likes

I’m in!
Hoping 6mws will help make up the shortfall in my self discipline.
It’s my best chance to be more dragon.
Looking forward to tomorrow.

3 Likes

Aran,

Thank you so much for your quick, straight and honest reply to my posting. I’m now thinking that I may indeed wait for an intermediate course to be offered. Being about to start Course/Level 3, with both Courses and Levels 1 and 2 behind me, I don’t want to go in a direction that may ultimately slow me down.
I don’t know how to decide this. The cost is not the problem, nor is the time required an obstacle. I just don’t want to spend a large amount of time doing mainly revision, which is an ongoing part of the Levels anyway. Maybe you could give us rough guidelines as to who should do this 6 Month course, and who should wait for an intermediate course?
Either way, I wish you tremendous luck with this new venture, and I do hope that an intermediate course will eventually be offered.
Diolch yn fawr iawn a noswaith dda!

1 Like

Looking forward to this, at Level 1 Challenge 12 now and I think I have been putting in at least 4 hours a week already for about 10 weeks. I haven’t spoken to anyone yet* but from the experience I have from learning Gàidhlig to fluency - (including a four year Gaelic/French degree as a mature student) I know that I am making remarkable progress.

*That will change with the course obviously and I will (very politely) track down Welsh speakers here in our small town in the Highlands of Scotland, heard of two since I told friends in a Gaelic conversation circle that I was leaning with the SSiW challengers.

1 Like

Eeeeek… to be honest, I don’t know how I’d make that call. I think it’s more about how much patience you have, rather than anything external I could identify… if we imagine that the first 3 months of the 6 month course would be pretty slow/easy going for you, then it’s a bit of a roll of the dice as to whether or not the ‘Deep End’ course would be ready within the next 3 months (it’s not impossible, but it’s probably not exactly likely)… mmmmmm…

We could say - jump in, try the 6 month course, if the ‘Deep End’ course is ready before you’ve finished, we’ll just move you over to it… I mean, one thing’s for sure, it can’t actually slow you down - if you look at a week’s task list and decide it’s all too easy for you, just move on past it…

@desscholes - great to see you in here, Des! Sorry, I owe you an email, I know - been a bit drowned in stuff here, but I’ll get to it eventually… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m thinking of doing this.
I got up to about lesson 9 of Level One about 7 months ago but haven’t done any of the challenges since, and probably need to review them. I meet up every few weeks with some other learners and have been doing so for almost 2 years, but have found myself stagnating, and have major issues with confidence.

I just seem to be terrible at unstructured learning. I’m always planning to do another lesson later, and despite the fact I have the time, later never seems to be now. If it weren’t for the group meet ups I probably would have given up long ago.

My only hesitation is that I’m in Australia and 6PM-7PM Thursday evening would be 5AM-6AM getting up early for the first session would be possible, but I leave for work at 6AM so I’d always miss the second.

But the timing is perfect. I’m doing a trip to the UK/Wales in September/October, so finishing the course would line up nicely with my trip.

3 Likes

Signed up last week. Great to receive the first Monday email today, diolch! :+1:t2:

1 Like

I just signed up and I’m very excited! I think it will help immensely to have a structured “class” rather than being left to waffle around on my own.

Yayyy! :grin:

Havn’t looked through all the replies so I’m not sure if this question has already been asked.

Does this new six month course follow the same pattern as the SSI challenges.
Would it be oossible to have a taster video for people to see so they don’t waste your time in signing up and then not following through with the course and wanting to claim a refund.

I have just signed up.

I am very excited about this as it will challenge me. I started doing SSIW in 2016 but without anyone to speak Welsh to I let it slide a bit. I live in Somerset and hope to move back to Wales this year… I was born in Wales in Tredegar but although my grandmother spoke Welsh she did not pass this on to my mother and so I lost out on being able to speak Welsh as a child - I am now in my 60’s and I am determined to be able to speak Welsh!!! This course has come at a brilliant time for me.

Hello, I did course 1 and 2 and a bit of 3 a few years ago. I am doing canolrad 2 course currently but am struggling with momentum and don’t seem to be getting anywhere. I like a previous poster am struggling with listening.
Would this course be suitable?
Could I swap to an intermediate course when available if more suitable?
Thanks
Janet

Hi, I just received the email about the new 6 month course this morning. I’m going to give it a go because I need a more structured approach. I’ve been dipping in and out of Course 1 for a long time but never seem to complete it. I am hoping that a set of weekly tasks will structure my learning better.
I live in Milton Keynes and don’t get many opportunities to speak Welsh locally. I have been travelling into London once a week to the London Welsh Centre for classes.
Looking forward to getting the first email next Monday.
Thanks,
Colin

I wouldn’t worry too much about that - the group calls are an add-on comfort blanket, really - the meat of it is the task-setting - and we’ll be using the group call environment to try and help trigger finding conversation partners - but that’s not time dependent.

We’re also planning on making recordings available - and we’re hoping to be able to add sessions that work better for Australia time in the not-too-distant future… :slight_smile:

@Ludo - glad all the moving pieces have worked! Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

@sororp - really looking forward to hearing what you think of it, and if that turns out to be true - hope so! :slight_smile:

@RobMorgan - the speaking/learning part of the 6 Month course is the SSi challenges - we’ve built a framework around that designed to push people through the material more successfully, but also to trigger patterns/habits that we’ve seen making the key difference in our intensive residential courses.

I’m open to a taster video - what do you think should be in it that isn’t in the current explainer video? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I quite fancy this. i’ve just started Canolradd passed level sylfaen but seem to have had a brainwash and forgotten it all. I am really lacking in confidence to speak and have been highly recommended yousk

1 Like

I can’t watch the video at the moment (Works computer says nooooo) I will watch when I get home tonight.
I have completed level 1 in the past and get flustered every time i try level 2, end up leaving it for a while then starting halfway through level 1 again as i have forgotten more than i learnt. (This has been ongoing for a few years!)

Do you think this would be suitable? I am around Welsh a lot as its my partners first language I just lack the confidence to join in. I will watch the video when i get home to see if i could commit etc and what the course is all about properly.

1 Like

Just registered due to start this coming Monday. Looking forward to the course.

1 Like