Announcing: our new '6 Month Welsh Speaker' course

Hi Aran,
I started SSiW in the autumn and am now at challenge 10. I live in Vancouver and do not have anyone to actually speak Welsh to, so this new 6 month course sounds great.
My question is that I am heading to Wales for the month of March and as it would be harder to maintain the commitment when on holiday would I be able to start in April?
Thanks,
Ruth

1 Like

@Aran,
Iā€™m going to think about it for a couple of weeks before deciding whether to do this marvellous-sounding course. I will be travelling during this period and wonā€™t have time anyway to deal with it until then.
Again, diolch yn fawr iawn for the help; I really appreciate the personal touch despite your apparently answering every other posting on this entire Forum (plus running the coursesā€¦).

1 Like

Ah, yes, thatā€™s pretty much our specialityā€¦:wink: It all comes down to pain - there are some painful things you have to do before the speaking becomes easier - and most people/courses avoid them, because theyā€™re painful - but if you have a good charge at them, even though they are painful, it turns out the pain doesnā€™t last very long - and then youā€™re into the delight of using your Welsh more confidentlyā€¦ :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s possible it could be the breakthrough for you, Emma - the first half will be nice and easy revision, but weā€™ll set some habits and patterns that will be leading you towards more usage - and then youā€™ll have too much momentum to avoid Level 2!

Looking forward to seeing you in Slack and the group calls! :slight_smile:

Yes, of course - weā€™ll be carrying on taking registrations all the timeā€¦ :slight_smile: I should add that itā€™ll probably be Ā£10 or Ā£20 more expensive by then - weā€™re going to be going up to Ā£100 step by step over the next few monthsā€¦ just so you donā€™t have an unwelcome shock! But I think thatā€™s probably better than having a month where youā€™re not sure about getting the tasks doneā€¦ :slight_smile:

Always a pleasure to talk to forum membersā€¦ :slight_smile: :sunny: Take your time - thereā€™s no hurry with itā€¦ :slight_smile:

[Yeah, itā€™s been a slightly busy couple of days - Iā€™ve even had some stern words from the children about screentimeā€¦ :wink: ]

2 Likes

Sounds like an excellent idea.
Is there a choice of Northern or Southern Welsh?

Yes - the 6 Month framework uses the existing SSiW lessons, so you have the usual choice between northern and southern - and then the follow-up work doesnā€™t depend on dialect - even when it gets to the point of finding practice partners, it makes very little real difference whether youā€™re practising with someone doing the same dialect as youā€¦ :slight_smile: [In fact, Iā€™m going to be encouraging people to build a network of practice partners that includes the ā€˜otherā€™ dialect.]

1 Like

Maybe perhaps the first lesson?

The first lesson is already freely available on the siteā€¦ and Iā€™m not sure how we could really give a taster of the private support area or the group videosā€¦ we could show some of the onboarding emails, but again, theyā€™re really meant to work as a series, rather than as standalone eventsā€¦

Thanks. Can you give me the link. Canā€™t seem to find it.

To the first lesson? Click on ā€˜Coursesā€™, then (when youā€™re over on the website rather than the forum) click on ā€˜Coursesā€™ again to open up the pop-up, then ā€˜Level 1ā€™, then ā€˜Challenge 01ā€™ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I would love to sign up to this course but the site wonā€™t let me sign up?

1 Like

So, if you have done all of the available lessons but still havenā€™t learnt any welsh, would this help? I canā€™t seem to get it in my head at all :frowning:

Heather, did you just email me? If you, youā€™ve got an answer waiting - and weā€™ll try and troubleshoot it with youā€¦ :slight_smile:

Um - if youā€™ve done all the available lessons and havenā€™t learnt any Welsh, I think weā€™ve failed you pretty dramatically, and you certainly shouldnā€™t be thinking of doing anything else with us!

More generally (because I genuinely donā€™t think you could possibly not have learnt any Welsh if youā€™ve done all our available lessons!) - weā€™ve said from the top that this isnā€™t for intermediate+ learners - if youā€™re well into Level 2, or have finished Level 2, then you should be focusing on getting into conversations as often as possible (and/or hanging on for our ā€˜Deep Endā€™ 3 month set up which we hope to launch by the summer)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hi. I have signed up for the 6 months intensive. My one worry is about the weekly Thursday session. Sometimes I am out of the UK but will want to carry on the course. Are there chances to download to access later?
My ambition is to be able to deliver my cycle training courses in Welsh schools confidently and be able to hold conversations with pupils and answer questions about the course

Donā€™t worry about the Thursdays - theyā€™re a helpful optional extra - it doesnā€™t matter if you miss some.

When youā€™re out of the UK, if you download a few of the lessons (from the site, here) in advance, and keep your listening exercises going, thatā€™s the absolute CORE stuff - and you can always catch up with the other tasks when you get back - or, of course, do them while youā€™re away, if youā€™ve still got access to emailā€¦ :slight_smile:

Just signed up. Think this going to be perfect for me. Been slowly making my way through level one when this popped up. 6 months to speakingā€¦ sounds brilliant! Looking forward to it, thanks Aran

1 Like

Great! Itā€™s going to be hugely enjoyable getting to work with so many enthusiastic and determined peopleā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently doing the Pellach correspondance course from Spain (I know, itā€™s weird practicing Cymraeg in sunshine :slight_smile:). Iā€™ll be back in Caernarfon again soon so Iā€™m hoping the ā€˜Jump in at the Deep Endā€™ course will work for me. Do I need to complete level 1 and 2 of the SSI welsh first? Iā€™ve done a lot of level 1 but not completed it as I went on to do the 2 Spanish levels. Which incidently has helped me in my conversations over here far more than I expected.

3 Likes

Still kind of forming this in my mind, but I think it would be a good idea to say that the Deep End course is for people whoā€™ve finished Level 2ā€¦ otherwise, having a leisurely start on the 6MWS course would probably work fine for youā€¦ :slight_smile:

[Jealous of the Spain thingā€¦ :wink: ]

The Pellach doesnā€™t finish until mid June. Iā€™ll be doing the last half in Prifysgol Bangor in a classroom. No more hot sunshine. (:cry:) Iā€™ll work on finishing level 2 as Iā€™ll have a target of when your course will be available. So no panic. In Caernarfon I go to a fantastic panad a sgwrs in Y Felinheli every week so that should help get me ready too.

1 Like