Another daft question - SSiW v Duolingo

c’mon, let’s do it!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @stephenbranley … continually amazed at the depth of knowledge and inspiration available on this forum :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, unfortunately you also see the very annoying league tables if you decide to follow people. You will find all our Duo names on the thread that I linked to above. The more the merrier. Duo doesn’t allow for any interaction though, which is a shame. I believe that the Duo course is going to be re-written to align with the new version of the Mynediad etc. courses. What a task!

@stephenbranley, your record is impressive. I agree that SSiW is easily the best for speaking, but the more learning sources the better.
Sue

2 Likes

The league system was one of the reasons I made my profile private. I used to like the clubs and belonged to a Welsh one for a while. I could actually interact with people on that one, and we could chat in Welsh. I’m not sure how leagues were an improvement.

1 Like

I clearly don’t know what I’m doing with Duolingo (very new to it). I’ve followed you @JD_Hogan-Davies, but have no idea if my profile is private or public… Another question – is my Duolingo name my username?

Thanks,

Liz (semi bewildered)

The leagues were a terrible idea. It just encourages people to go for as many points as possible rather than actually taking their time and taking in what they’re supposed to be learning. I couldn’t care less what league I’m in and whether I’m going to be relegated or promoted. I want to learn at my own pace.

2 Likes

You can make your profile public or private in Account Settings -> Privacy

I’ve seen the Leaderboard but I didn’t understand how it works, and I keep on simply ignoring it.
:laughing:

By the way, I haven’t even completely figured what are those bubbles almost everybody here on the forum have on their user picture yet - but I guess it’s just I’m really not into this badges kinda stuff! :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Liz,
I think that your profile is public by default. Yes, I think that your Duolingo username is what you need. I did a search for Liz-Price and found 13 people, but none of them are learning Welsh, so no good. If you have a name and another name in brackets, then I think that you need the one in brackets, but I can’t remember for sure.
Sue

Ah, now that I can help with!

1 Like

Alright, thanks!

However I guess I’ll wait till I can be rewarded with a Datblygu badge or free tasting of Penderyn! :sunglasses: :laughing:

Ah, ok, maybe my username, then … it’s LiitlePlucker :blush:

1 Like

I’m not a fan. I don’t mind a little friendly competition within a Welsh club, but I’m not in it to win meaningless games.

2 Likes

Hi @Liz-Price, I have found you. My, you have been busy! Impressive.
Sue

1 Like

I have always used HOFFI when I am in North Wales. Have never used Liciwn i for I would like. I generally say Swn i /faswn i hoffi/licio or mi hoffwn i

1 Like

I would like to join in too. I started used duolingo but got bored with it. If we are supporting each other I will try again.

Hi @michelle-snell,
This forum is the best place for supporting each other. Interaction on Duolingo is practically non-existent now. We are ‘following’ each other, but that just means that we can see how much everyone has done in a given week or month. We can’t communicate with each other.
I get bored with Duolingo, but I find it useful sometimes to practice spelling etc. Anyway, if you fancy following us, you can search for us using the usernames that we gave on the other thread. I am Sue360.

Some of us are very active, and some seem to have given up. Duolingo is like that.
Much more important, how are you doing with SSiW? Going well, I hope?
Sue

Thank you :blush:

How do we make an actual Duolingo group? :face_with_monocle:

Ah, sorry, just read your post above…seems like it’s not possible.

There used to be clubs whose members could communicate with each other, but these were scrapped, to the dismay of many. The emphasis now is on competing with people you don’t know, who are learning different languages. Sad. I shall probably complete the tree, since the content is good and the volunteers who created it are dedicated and generous teachers. After that I shall probably walk away. There are better ways of practising reading - such as books. I do owe a debt of gratitude to Duolingo though. Without it I would never have thought of learning Welsh.
Sue

2 Likes

Not only different languages, but at different levels of different languages. So while you might be getting through one very long, quite complex lesson at Level 25, you’re competing with people just starting out at Level 1 choosing which picture matches a word and getting through 5+ lessons in 10 minutes.

2 Likes