ATM's - Use it or lose it!

Indeed, together with quite a lot of customers from over the border for whom Croesoswallt is the nearest town (and their postal address town, too), pretty much all of Dyffryn Tanat and surrounding areas I believe.

1 Like

HSBC machine in Mark and Spencer in Cwmbran now has no Welsh. French, German and Italian though

When I complained M&S staff said nothing to do with them

Dw i’n siomedig iawn gyda nhw

That’s unusual for HSBC. Might be worth contacting them, rather than M&S… :slight_smile:

I recently complained to Natwest that one of their ATMs in Cardiff didn’t have Welsh as an option. They replied really quickly (it was on Twitter) to say they’d sort it. I shall, of course, be going back to check.

My husband (who doesn’t speak Welsh) and I have also taken to using the self service till in Tesco yn Gymraeg. It did seem a lot louder than the English, which I actually prefer - it got me some slightly confused looks from my fellow shoppers. Consider their awareness raised :smile:

5 Likes

Two things could be happening here. Firstly, I’ve found that if you put a credit card (as opposed to a cash card) in some ATMs they go all ‘touristy’ on you and offer overseas languages but not Welsh. I use this as an indicator that I’ve put the wrong card in - usually the card company will charge you interest on cash taken out with a credit card, which obviously you want to avoid if at all possible.

Secondly, although HSBC are good with their Welsh provision, they often update their ATM software with charity appeals, particularly for the Disaster Appeals Committee. When this happens it’s usual for them to forget to include the Welsh option. When the software returns to default, Welsh will come back. I’ve alerted them to this in the past, but I don’t think it registered, and I don’t want to get too shouty when it concerns urgent charity appeals.

4 Likes

I went in to the HSBC bank in Llandudno on Tuesday to pay for the Popeth Yn Gymraeg DVD and was pleasantly surprised to find that the majority of the staff there were Welsh speaking . I wouldn’t have expected that in Llandudno to be honest . It must obviously be company policy and I think that they deserve some credit for it.

4 Likes