ATM's - Use it or lose it!

I’ve recently (in the scale of my life!) changed mobile numbers so I rarely get cold calls nowadays!

Next time I’ll have to employ the Welsh answering tactic!

1 Like

OK, that took me a bit to work out - thinking ooh, there’s a new word in Welsh for me - ‘tactic’ - just check the dictionary to see what it means, oh, can’t find it… penny dropping yes of course its english…:confounded:

1 Like

Google Translate reliably informs me that the Welsh for “tactic” is… (drumroll please)

dacteg.

Which I’m sure will be in SSiW’s bonus football lesson in a few years time. I can just hear Iestyn’s dulcet tones now doing…

“The team would win if they changed their tactics”

:smiley:

3 Likes

I think I’ll just leave this here…

2 Likes

I’d say that’s soft mutated, I’ve seen it as tacteg a few times. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes…gweiadur.com has it as:

tacteg noun feminine (tactegau) 1 yn wreiddiol, y ffordd yr oedd milwyr yn cael eu gosod neu eu symud mewn brwydr fel rhan o gynllun ehangach, sef strategaeth; erbyn heddiw fe’i defnyddir am unrhyw sefyllfa lle mae un person/ochr yn ceisio trechu’r llall/lleill - tactics

2 y ddawn o ddefnyddio’r hyn sydd ar gael i gyflawni’r hyn sydd ei angen - tactics

1 Like

I made a flying visit to the Asda, Llansamlet (Swansea) ATMs this morning and can confirm that they have the Cymraeg option. Sorry to say that I chickened out of using the Welsh option as I was being “supervised” and wouldn’t have liked to face the consequences of the card being swallowed up due to a wrong move :grin:

And me, though I’ve been surprised lately to find a few cold callers with a bit of Welsh. A couple have said they can understand but not speak much, so I’ve politely told them in Welsh that I’m not interested in whatever they are calling about, and received a ‘Dim problem. Hwyl’ in return!

4 Likes

I’ve just bought something from WHSmiths in Broughton (Brychdyn) and the self service tills offer the languages, English, Welsh and French. Why French, I have no idea but there you go. :blush:

3 Likes

Airbus? :wink:

2 Likes

That’ll be it. Good call.

2 Likes

For those interested - my complaint with Tesco is still running, they’ve called me back a fair few times and are apparently looking at it quite seriously now…

…especially after I sent them a picture of a self service machine in Aberystwyth with… NO WELSH LANGUAGE OPTION!!!

5 Likes

I had a call from BT this afternoon (who is not my ISP) and proceeded to have a bilingual conversation. He spoke English and I answered in Welsh, but he appeared to understand most of my responses. I deliberately made some of them fairly lengthy as well. Are companies actually getting the idea they have to support Welsh if they want to deal with customers in Wales? That would be really nice!

7 Likes

Quite right!

On the plus side, Tesco, Asda and even Lidl (or is it Aldi - hard to tell) seem to be going towards ginormous Welsh words, with tiny English underneath. I’m not sure if that spills over into the checkout in places like Hay or Chepstow, but at least they are giving it a go.

Edit: Sorry, I take back any inference about a lack of Welsh speakers in such border towns. I’ve just checked and the percentage of Welsh speakers is much higher than I thought.

1 Like

That looks as if it ought to mean “sandwiches”, an irregular plural of brechdan :joy:

2 Likes

We had a meal deal from Tesco and I said to Trace that “dwi’n bwyta brechdan ym Mrychdyn.” All I got was a slight roll of the eyes. #truestory

4 Likes

Well at the moment the Morrissons in Oswestry is being refurbished and it looks like they’re making all the in-store information Welsh text above English.
Oswestry’s alternated between being in Wales and England over many hundreds of years. Hopefully this is a case that Morrissons recognise that there’s a significant enough number of Welsh speakers in the town to make the store bi-lingual even though its in England.
Back in the 1970’s people were asked about it in the streets of the town.

3 Likes

New self services in the Pound Shop in Neath don’t have a Welsh option though clearly running the same software. I feel a letter coming on!

3 Likes

Get it in. Unless we whinge, we won’t get it.

The guy I spoke to at Tesco said he’d been working in his team for about 10 years and mine was the first Welsh Language related complaint he had ever heard of.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes