Beddgelert

Shwmae!

My boyfriend and I are going to Beddgelert this weekend, it will be my first time in North Wales (planning to strike up a few conversations!) Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations - restaurants, things to do etc - while I’m up there? We’re already planning to do the obligatory hike up Snowdon! Thanks for any suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There are plenty of nice cafes and resturaunts around and fantastic scenery.
Hopefully someone has the lowdown for recommendations.

Beddgelert is a little diluted language wise these days, but very friendly. Obviously go into the park to see Gelert’s Grave. If you are into walking, there are plenty of other mountains, but care is needed with some.

In my experience, the most Welsh speaking places are from Llanberis to Caernarfon and then onto Anglesey. There’s no need to speak English in these places. The shopkeepers support SSiW. :blush: They are also great to visit. Don’t miss Stryd y Plas in Caernarfon and Biwmaris on Anglesey.

1 Like

We went on a lovely walk around Beddgelert a few years ago that didn’t involve going up a mountain if that’s more your thing. You head south kind of following the railway starting near Bedd Gelert itself, then loop around and over towards Llyn Dinas to the north and back into Beddgelert. The path is easy to follow.

@treymccain or @treymccain-1 may have more info, I seem to remember him posting a pic on twitter a couple of weeks ago.

Edited to add: I’ve just found this …

And in english …

1 Like

Beddgelert is not too far away from the hub of the Welsh language, being Caernarfon - we called in to visit Beddgelert on our way home from Caernarfon about this time last year.

Can really recommend Caernarfon, especially the Welsh Rarebit in The Black Boy Inn if you have an hour to spare. You won’t fail to bump into Welsh speakers everywhere, and pretty much every single shop will serve you in Welsh - even the bigger shops like Costa and Subway.

Bangor, although a bit less Welsh speaking (although at this time of the year lots of students will have left for their holidays, so it might be more prominent) has a pretty good High Street if you’re in the market for doing some shopping.

1 Like

We went about 4 years ago, we had a good meal in Hebog and The Saracens Head was decent pub grub (simple). The ice cream from the other side of the bridge is really good!

It’s a lovely litle town! While you’re up in that neck of the woods, Betws-y-coed is a lovely town, Llanrwst will be home to the Eisteddfod in August. A bit further afield Llandudno is a lovy seaside town (not that Welsh speaking), and Conwy is great if you like castles.

Also, how challenging do you want your walk up Snowden?

The Watkin path is the quietest route normally but has a bit of a scramble to reach the summit. You walk past old quarry buildings and workers houses.

Also, after your walk the Pen-y-gwrid hotel is great for a drink. In one of the rooms the ceiling is signed by the climbers who summited Everest with Edmund Hillary.

Challenging is ok! Thanks for the suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr pawb for all the tips and ideas! :grin:

Hi Rosie,

We just spent a week based in Beddgelert so we could go hiking when we flew over for the Parti in May. There are some great hikes from the little town itself.

One takes you on a grand circle from Beddgelert’s grave across the river to an old copper mine, then onwards to a lovely lake. Once you get there you will see a steep path leading upwards to the right. Take it and you end up in a lovely valley with several choices–from a short steep return to the copper mine then retrace your steps to the town, or, as we did, a longer circular route down to the river and along it back to Beddgelert’s grave, crossing the railway just before the end. By then, you may be ready for a fantastic ice-cream or beer in a pub–or both.

Another lovely ‘walk’ continues along that lake I described, via a delightful cafe at its far end, then onwards to another lake and keep going as far as you want.

We loved the Devil’s Kitchen hiking area where you have a choice of easier and tougher hikes. If you are going to do Snowdon, then I guess you will be able to tackle the tougher. Our only disappointment–all this was going to lead up to a hike up Snowdon on our last day, but apart from pouring rain (no big deal–we are used to that) the visibility was less than 50 ft, the wind blowing a gale and as it turned out the route we had planned to take was washed out in places at the higher elevations. I hope you have better luck with that, but there are plenty of other options anyway and no regrets–we made a sensible decision.

Hwyl,
Mari

1 Like