Bofi dal or bod dal

In challenge 5, 25 to 27 minutes in, bod dal suddenly replaces bofi dal. Totally lost and stuck on this challenge now. Is this one of those suggested deliberate errors?

Which you use depends on the structure of the following part of the sentence. If youā€™re joining something that would usually start with dw i then that will become bo fi when you put something in front.
If youā€™re joining something that starts with mae like mae rhaid i fi/mi then you use bod in place of the mae
e.g. ā€œI think that I still speak Welshā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl bo fi dal yn siarad Cymraeg
ā€œI think that I still have to goā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl bod dal rhaid i fi/mi fynd

2 Likes

Hmm. Have I missed something?. I canā€™t recall this being introduced as a pattern before it just cropped up in challenge 5ā€¦ Iā€™ve now gone back to start of challenge1 to go through it all again. which is disappointing as I thought I was getting somewhere, To save me having to repeat can anyone tell me which challenge *dw iā€™n meddwl bod dal rhaid ā€¦" was introduced.or explained. I must have missed it somehow.

bod is introduced in Challenge 3, then mae rhaid i fi or rhaid i mi is introduced in Challenge 4 and dal is from Challenge 1.

As you move through the course youā€™ll find that not everything is explained explicitly. You are given the building blocks then an example will come along combining them or showing you a different way of using them. This gives you the opportunity to start seeing how things work for yourself, a skill that is vital as you get into conversations and listen to more spoken Welsh.

I guess Iā€™ll have to try and find an answer somewhere else then. This has thrown me completely. I can ask my Dysgu Cymraeg tutor at Bangor University when we start again after half term and have a break for now. Maybe the grammar section in the course book may help. Diolch.

As Deborah said, which one you use depends on whether itā€™s dwi or mae that is being replaced by the ā€˜thatā€™.

Try splitting the sentence into two without the ā€˜thatā€™ like this:
ā€œI think. I still speak Welshā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl. dwi dal yn siarad Cymraeg
ā€œI think. I still have to goā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl. mae dal rhaid i fi/mi fynd

Although both English sentences split this way start with ā€œI stillā€, in Welsh the second one actually literally translates as ā€œThere is still a necessity for me to goā€, which is why in itā€™s split form it starts with mae (not dwi) and why when adding the ā€˜thatā€™ it is simply bod (not bo fi) because the ā€˜fiā€™ is later in the sentence.

3 Likes

Diolch (which, to lighten the mood, I accidentally said to a Co-op cashier in my home town Poole, Dorset and got the response ā€œyouā€™re welcomeā€).
I nearly get it but having the word mae in a phrase about the first person (i and mi) is strange when mae is the present tense 3rd person form of bod. Aaaargh!
By the way, is there a transcript of the challenges to look at when listening?
Diolch eto Siaron a Deborah.

In English, yes. In Welsh, no! :wink:

There is not an official transcript as the idea of the course is to learn aurally rather than visually. However, other learners have produced material that you might find helpful here Vocabulary from Challenges
Iā€™d recommend only looking and listening simultaneously after trying the challenges without any notes first though. Try to use notes as consolidation rather than trying to learn from them - our ears are able to learn much more efficiently than we give them credit for and our eyes naturally overpower them when presented with visual material.

3 Likes

. I agree totally with needing to listen only first but seeing the transcript after might helpā€¦Thanks again

1 Like

Would you be able to show me what the unsplit sentences would be with the ā€œthatā€ in them please.
Sorry to be a pain but I need to be able to move forward.

They are the examples Deborah posted earlier -
ā€œI think that I still speak Welshā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl bo fi dal yn siarad Cymraeg
ā€œI think that I still have to goā€ - dw iā€™n meddwl bod dal rhaid i fi/mi fynd

1 Like

AROS - is there now a challenge 4 and 5 recently published?! I finished Her 3 a few months ago and there was nothing after that (ie 25 lessons x 3challenges) . Diolch yn fawr, Jan x

No, level 3 is the last one but there are advanced listening exercises you can do, or some people work their way through the old course for extra vocab - and some do the opposite region to the one youā€™ve done in the levels too.

1 Like

Aha diolch I thought for a minute there was some exciting news Iā€™d missed! Hwyl, Jan x

1 Like

Hi Ian

I had many moments like you when doing SSiW (and still do outside of SSiW, now Iā€™ve done L3!). I loved learning languages in school, but Iā€™m quite ā€œtraditionalā€.

When I came across issues like you mentioned, I did sometimes try to find explanations, as Deborah kindly provided. I did find that relaxing about things I didnā€™t understand, or that seemed ā€œwrongā€ did actually help a lot though. I was sceptical initially! I went from ā€œarghhh, why on earth is it XYZā€ to ā€œoh, thatā€™s different - interesting. Iā€™ll just say it; itā€™ll make sense in the futureā€.

Itā€™s a bit of a leap, but I do feel it worked. SSiW definitely doesnā€™t give the learner everything, but itā€™s not meant too. ā€œJust say it, and donā€™t sweat itā€ was my mantra!

HTH

4 Likes

Thanks HTH,
That was very helpful and I understand exactly what you mean. Itā€™s getting the balance between understanding everything and, as you say, just using it and letting it unfold.
Diolch,
Ian

2 Likes