Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp, September 19th - 26th

I remember clearly that lag of my brain processing what is being said before my reply…happily you’ll find it’ll speed up over time. Enjoy the Bootcamp!!!

1 Like

This I am told is normal. It is a lot easier to speak a language than to understand it when it is spoken to you.
I find that as well. When I have trouble like that I ask people to talk slower as I say my ears don’t work very quickly. Conrad

1 Like

Hi Conrad, yes Dot is my first name, short for Dorothy. Am looking forward to Bootcamp now - relax, relax and enjoy! Yay. Dot

Great to hear that at least some bootcampers have got the bootcamp spirit already: Relax and Enjoy is the bootcamp motto!

One of the challenges of bootcamp is overcoming the undeniable fact that you are all second language Welsh speakers. Things like not understanding anything for the first few days, getting frustrated because you can’t say the precise thing that you would say if you were speaking English, and having sometimes amusing sometimes confusing mis-understandings are all part and parcel of taking your second language to a first language environment. (I’ve just come back from France where I “suffered” (read enjoyed!) the same kind of experience,)

All the concerns expressed above are totally normal, and a normal part of not-having-been-on-bootcamp-yet, so don’t worry about any of them.

And look at the prize: You will be short-cutting the usual Welsh learner’s experience, which is years of occasional conversations, where each conversation is like starting out anew, and each gap between conversations is measured in weeks or even months.

Our first ever bootcamp was run with people who had barely completed 10 lessons of the first course, and everyone survived (which is good) and enjoyed (which is an excellent bonus).

I’m really looking forward to meeting you all - everyone has such different exeriences and backgrounds, and I don’t think I’ve ever been on a boring bootcamp.

3 Likes

Yes, everyone has that problem at some point. Are you doing the listening exercises from Level 1? If you do them on a daily basis, they’ll make a world of difference for you :sunny:

1 Like

Now @Iestyn imagine 2lnd language speaker to 3rd language speaker. … WHAT A CHALLENGE! …

So that no one will feel self conscious about making mistakes can I tell you about a beauty I made. I said " ro’n i’n cerdded am pump mlynydd ddoe" A 5 year walk yesterday did perplex the other person, meant miles
Conrad

6 Likes

Excellent, well done that man :thumbsup: :star:

Dot,
Diolch iawn for the offer of a lift. I have got to give it some thought since I have tickets for the world cup rugby match at Gloucester between Tonga and Georgia at 12pm on Saturday 19th but I may get someone else to go in my stead. I’ll get back to you shortly.
Nic

Hi Nic, I’m late looking at all the posts for Bwtcamp, but if it helps at all, if you could get to Cardiff (or somewhere close by) I’ll be driving from there and would be happy to give you a lift?
I’m starting to get proper nervous about this, we’ll be there in 2 weeks! Rhaid i fi ymarfer!

1 Like

I’ve just logged on here actually to see if anyone could use a lift from Cardiff. In case that might help anyone, I’ve plenty of room in my car. And a sat nav so we might not even get lost!
Dw i’n edrych ymlaen a dw i’n nerfus o hyd!
Do I need to bring anything in particular, I’ve seen a post on this thread about bringing bedding, does that mean a sleeping bag, etc? Anything else?

2 Likes

There is a post by @hewrop somewhere on this forum (don’t have the link to hand) that advises using GPS co-ordinates rather than a postcode to accurately find the Canolfan.

Try doing a forum search on “Tresaith satnav”, or imaginative variations.
If you don’t find it, I will try to myself later.

1 Like

Here you go guys …

If you click on the link besides my post it will carry you to the original topic.

3 Likes

Lindsey and Dot,
Thanks very much for your kind offer of a lift. It would seem to make sense for those of us coming from the South-East to group together and have a practice natter on the way: though I really wouldn’t worry about it; everyone is very nice and after the initial shyness, everyone will be siarading yn Cymraeg au naturellement heb becso. The other thing is that, having been before, I actually know where it is!
So, by way of formulating a plan, if you and Dot would like, I could pick up Dot from Swindon, then pick Lindsey up O Gaerdydd and you can experience the true luxury of my Rover 45 with its burr walnut veneer fascia and four wheels (five if you count the spare, which I do sometimes; when things drag a bit and there’s not much going on - you know?)
I have reluctantly given my £60 rugby ticket to my daughter, who will probably just watch the Tongans do their Hacka and then leave, so I could start out any time. If we need to be there at 3pm, Dw i’n tybio (like that word) dyleni adael at about 12pm, pick up Dot at 12.30 and Lindsey at about 1.30.
What do you think?
Nick

1 Like

I realise that SaySomethingInEverything is Aran’s stated aim, but in the same sentence? :laughing:

5 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

Only a week until Bootcamp! Dw i’n edrych ymlaen at gwrdd a chi gyd! I have been looking forward to this for so long, and am eager to finally be immersed in Welsh, with no option of resorting to English.

Safe travels everyone, and I’ll see you soon!

Bronwyn

4 Likes

Shwmae pawb!

One more name for next week’s bootcamp list! I’ll be coming over from Germany at the end of the week, and should arrive in Tresaith in good time for the 4pm start on Saturday, provided the buses from Aberystwyth (to Tan-y-groes) stick to the timetables I’ve found on-line. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Peter Cripps

3 Likes

Looking forward very much to hearing how it goes! :sunny:

Hi Nic, Sorry I have only just seen this message. More than happy to car share if you are still up for it. The only thing is that Swindon is going in the wrong direction as you will be coming to me to go back past Gloucester. If you are happy with that then great, otherwise I am happy to drive and pick others up on the way. Let me know. Dot

2 Likes