Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

As a person who lives in Yorkshire but is moving to North Carmarthenshire next year , this was reassuring to read :blush: Thankyou for sharing your story. I hope this will be me one day! I only started learning Welsh on Duolingo 3 months ago and have gone through a couple of weeks of SSIW . But your post is giving me the motivation to start properly and get practising!

4 Likes

Good luck with the move! I’m sure you’ll have a great time

Recently I have been actively listening to conversations between some colleagues, who know I am learning Welsh and I allowed me to listen. I can pick up the meaning of the sentences, and can follow the conversation. Hoping in the coming weeks, I can converse with them. I have picked and inserted words into conversation daily.
And I have started to notice that I can translate words live, and speak them out loud when required.
Small steps :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This week I was in Llambed on the Ebrill BĆ”tcamp where collectively we had some great breakthrough moments. For me the best was when a couple of us fancied a pint before turning in for the night and were under strict instructions to keep it all yn Gymraeg (does dim sneaky Saesneg!). In the bar the girl behind the bar understood Welsh but was reluctant to speak so we ordered in Welsh and she replied in Saesneg. Tables turned
bloke from Basingstoke forces local Welsh girl to understand Welsh😂

6 Likes

I’ve heard the legend of the pub where everyone ‘switched to Welsh when we came in’, but not the one where they switched to English! :rofl:

Not sure if it counts as a breakthrough, but I’ll certainly celebrate it as a small success: i did my first edit on CY Wikipedia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m a champion procrastinator, and to prove it? I have been using challenge mp3s I downloaded back when the first 15 were free
 in maybe 2018? Ish? And I actually started using them seriously
 at the beginning of March this year. (Not a total freeloader - I plan to pick up a year’s subscription when I reach the end of these files.)
But anyway.
The other day I had a kinda cool first. A family friend (English, lives in Caerphilly with Welsh wife and son) was on the phone and my mother told him I’d been learning Welsh. Immediately he grabbed his son and insisted he come to the phone and judge my Welsh. Mother handed her phone to me.
Two total strangers suddenly handed phones, awkwardly glaring at parents (I assume friend’s son was glaring too - I couldn’t see him).
I managed to admit dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg uh
 am biti mis.
He said hey, that’s good Welsh! (Not good enough he felt he could reply to me yn Gymraeg, I guess
)
I said diolch yn fawr.
Then I was done, completely froze, handed the phone back to my mother.
:laughing:
I feel more than a bit of a dork for dropping the conversation like a hot potato, but you know what? I spoke Welsh to a real live Welsh person and he didn’t laugh! He said it was good!
Yay

7 Likes

That’s a brilliant start @verity-davey! And hopefully you’ll get to meet him sometime in the future and you’ll be able to say a lot more than that by then. Da iawn ti! :clap: