SSi Forum

Breakthroughs: Does anybody have small successes/breakthroughs speaking Cymraeg they want to share?

I should also say it’s been the most pleasurable learning experience I’ve ever had and the one in which I feel I’ve made most progress.

Coming back two years later to update on this reply – turns out that date and all subsequent dates went very well, and we were married earlier this month!! Who knew this is where my Welsh learning journey would take me?! :heart:

Llongyfarchiadau! Congratulations!

This is very minor but I thought I would share it on here anyway. I’m in the Clwb Cardiau Post and took a postcard I’d written to the Post Office for a stamp to post it to Germany. The lad behind the counter looked at it and said, “! can read that!” All my Welsh immediately deserted me, then I managed to say “Ah, ti’n Cymro! Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu am blwyddyn,” at which he also looked a bit confounded and said (in English) that he used to be fluent when he was at school and did all his GCSEs in Welsh. That was it, but it was my first encounter with a Welsh-speaking person “in the wild” (I live in Bristol) and it made me smile. And him too, which was really nice.

Da iawn Ruth! I hope you see him again and you can have a brief Welsh exchange with him. It might encourage him to try and remember more!