CACEN Meetup South East England

Diolch Dee, dw i’n gobeithio dy fod ti’n iawn rwan

Yn y cyfamser

Hylo Pawb

After a summer break which has seen many if us travel far and wide, not leadt to that den of culture, the Eisteddfod, it’s time to gird our lions. Our lions once more.

The meetup will be in Albourne West Sussex. If you’d like to come along, please PM me for the address

As always, please bring a plate to share.

How about this time’s theme being ‘the most significant thing that happened to me this summer’. True or otherwise.

It’s time for another round of speed dating as well. Except this time each of us will be someone famous and the other half of the pair must ask questions to wrench the identity out of us in 3 minutes. Guesses to be written down and the correct name on a postcard so no-one will overhear. It may work, it nay not

Enjoy the rest of the summer

Hwyl fawr
Mx

2 Likes

Twpsen
The date is Saturday 17 September 1:00 to 4:00 pm

1 Like

Brighton weekly meetups

The Black Lion is temporarily closed for several weeks for refurbishments.

Weekly meetups continue at Carys’s home nearby. New joiners welcome. Please let me know by private message if you’d like the address

@markwatkinprice Pryd bydd y cyfarfod nesa plîs?

Hylo Pawb

Dates for your diaries - we have broken with tradition and for a change are planning ahead
Saturday Oct 22 Brighton
Sunday November 27 Brighton
Saturday December 10 Havant

Details will follow, but if you’d like to come along as a newbie, learner, or returner, please drop me a private message for the location

Hwyl fawr

M

1 Like

Hylo Pawb,
I have just posted the message below on what may be the wrong subject site. Sorry for any inconvenience.

We had a really interesting meetup last Saturday. We had a visitor from Northern India, the Khasia region. It transpires that Welsh Calvinist missionaries went there in the 1850’s to preach. they gave the area an alphabet (Welsh) so the local people could learn to read (The Bible), they gave them education as well as medicine. the Welsh are regarded with a huge amount of warmth there. Our speaker’s name is Wan and he is making a film documentary about the Khasia men who went to France during WW1 to support the British war effort. He came to speak to us about all this and show us parts of the new film - all extrmely interesting and exciting as this seems to have been a part of Welsh history that has been lost.A 1995 BBC documentary on the subject is at http://raiot.in/bootleg-gwalia-in-khasia-classic-bbc-documentary-on-khasi-hills/1

Meanwhile, our next meetup will be on Saturday 7th January in Brighton (Please PM me for the venue). We will meet at 11:00 in a pub, have 2 hours of hwyl then lunch. It’s sort of a late Christmas and to celebrate the fact we have three birthdays in the month. Anyone who wants to come will be welcome. Lunch can be ordered there at the time , no need to prebook.

Nadolig Llawen

Mx

1 Like

Following the success of the CACEN group’s post-Nadolig multi-birthday celebration luncheon, here are the dates of the next 3 meetups, so put them in your diaries now for the avoidance of forgetfulness.

As always, gossip, news, and some sort of story to get us exercising our tongues. Maybe we should have a theme – what about ‘The Thing in the News that most cheered me up this week’

Shared lunch as always. If you’d like to come, send me a private message and I’ll forward details of exact locations.

Saturday 4 February Seaford

Saturday 4 March Uckfield

Saturday 8 April Chichester

Plus: the weekly Brighton conversation meetup continues Mondays from 8:00 pm to around 10:00 at what used to be the Black Lion, Patcham but recently changed its name to the Miller & Carter. If you turn up unannounced, we’re the table in the corner where the laughter is coming from.

Hwyl

Mx

1 Like

Hi Mark,

are you meeting tomorrow in Patcham (23re Jan).

diolch,

Ben

Hi Ben
Great to hear from you
I regrettably can’t make but I have emailed Carys, Val and Sally to keep an eye out for you
Meetup is 8:00 onwards
I hope see you next week
Hwyl
M

1 Like

CACEN Meetup Saturday 4 March 1:00 to 4:00 near Uckfield East Sussex

Being close to Dwydd Gwyl Dewi, the theme for our around the table ‘news’ is our favourite/most personally important moment in Welsh history. As much or as little as you want to say, with or without props or script. You also have the right to remain silent if you’re a bit uncertain, but I hope not as all contributions add to the fun.

For exact location please send me a private message.

Don’t forget to bring a plate for a shared lunch.

Hwyl am y tro

Mx

1 Like

CACEN Meetup dates

Hylo Pawb

The next three dates for your diaries are
Saturday 8 April Albourne West Sussex
Saturday May 6 Chichester
Saturday June 10 Brighton

Times are 1:00 to 4:00, and please bring a plate of something for a shared lunch. If you’re new to SSIW and/or the language, you will be more than welcome. We are a group with abilities ranging from complete novice to later learner and a couple of mam-iaeths to whom we look for linguistic guidance. Don’t be alarmed - the emphasis is on hwyl, cameraderie and food.

If you’re new and would like to come, please PM me and I’ll send you the location.

Cofion cynnes

Mark

1 Like

I wish I had known about this a year ago… I lived in Portslade, but moved Wales in November. My parents are still in Hurstpierpoint though, so I will keep an eye on this and if your meetings happen to coincide with a time I am visiting them (school holidays normally), I will see if I can join you!

1 Like

Hope to see you, Olwen, meanwhile we in the group envy you moving home. Keep an eye open for Cardiff and Barry meetups if you’re in those areas, and there are many others on the forum. Perhaps Dee can add you to the email list for notifications? (Dee?)

2 Likes

I can’t actually add people, but people can add themselves. Just go to How can I get access to the SSiW weekly email? in the FAQ above, and there is a link to sign up - or click here.

1 Like

Diolch Dee
M:)

1 Like

Hylo Pawb

Meetup Saturday 8th April 1-4 pm

It’s that time of the month again. Time for another Cacen meetup, this time in Albourne, near Hassocks. If you’re on our group mailing list, you will have received the location details. If you’re new and would like to come along, please drop me a private message and I’ll send you the necessary info. Don’t forget to bring a small plate of food for a shared lunch.

I have forgotten what the chat theme is this time, so I venture to suggest - newyddion personol y mis and ‘the smallest space I ever got into’. OK it’s surreal, but you could lie about it.

The emphasis is on hwyl and just the opportunity to have a bit of practice in safe surroundings and genial company.

Hwyl fawr

1 Like

Hylo Pawb

The next Cacen Meetup will be Saturday 6 May 1:00 to 4:00 pm. It is likely to be Chichester but I will post another forum entry closer to the time to confirm whether Chichester or Brighton.

Please bring a plate to share for lunch and the theme will be ‘The thing I like the best is…’ which opens up all sorts of opportunities for creative fiction or downright lies.

We are a mixed group of individuals along the continuum of language learning, so whatever level you have already achieved, you will be welcome. Please drop me a Private Message if you would like details of the location for the next session, or also of our weekly meetup in Brighton. In a pub.

Hwyl

Mark

2 Likes

Hylo Pawb

The next meetup will after all, be Chichester. Edrychaf ymlaen at eich gweld chi.

Saturday 6 May 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Please PM me for location details.

2 Likes

Hylo Pawb

The next Cacen Meetup will be on Saturday 10 June in Brighton 1:00 - 4:00 pm in Brighton.

As always, the focus will be on hwyl and Welshness. We range from complete beginners to returners and mam-iaiths, so whatever level you are at, you will be welcome.

Please bring a small plate of food for a shared lunch and PM me for the exact location.

Don’t forget we also do a weekly meetup at a pub in Brighton - maybe see you there too.

Hwyl fawr
Mx

3 Likes

Any meetups over the summer?