Clonc-edigion Revived

Looking forward to meeting on Sat 7th March in Crwst. I love their cakes. !

Hwyl am y tro
Beth

1 Like

I hope to see you all on the 7th in Crwst. I’ll pop in the day before and they might reserve a little corner for us.

1 Like

Excellent initiative :clap: :smile:

I haven’t been to any meetups before, but since I’m studying in Aberystwyth this year (and I think buses are free on the weekend) there’s a slim chance I’ll be able to come along to this one. It would give me a good excuse to explore a bit more of Wales too!

2 Likes

You’ll be very welcome. :smile:

The bus station is just a block away from Crwst, so not very far to go! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m lookinng forward to cloncing at Y Crwst, Aberteifi / Cardigan at 11 am this Saturday (7th March)
If @wendyjames is able to pop in, as she kindly offered, and warn them of our arrival, my estimate from recent posts is that there will be 5 to 8 of us.
Tan toc, pawb :smile:

1 Like

I’ll call in to Crwst on Friday to see if I can reserve a corner for us.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Wendy

I’m really looking forward to this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to Crwst today but they don’t reserve tables in the daytime. They said it shouldn’t be a problem though and if there is no space for larger groups you can sit on the bar stools and wait for a table. @HuwJones See you tomorrow

3 Likes

Thanks for trying, Wendy :smile:

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Six of us here at the moment. A bit noisy but we’re by the window to the right if anyone wants to join us.

2 Likes

Help that there Deborah has hacked my forum account. Just think of the damage she could have done to my reputation. Seriously though was a great clonc and I’ll write more about it when I get back on Tuesday.

1 Like

I only said you were “a bit noisy” Huw :rofl:

1 Like

I have just returned from a very sad family event in Scotland and am particularly glad to think back to the excellent Cloncedigion meeting in Aberteifi just before I left.

First of all, Wendy was absolutley right about our venue, Crwst. It was, as she predicted, noisy and very busy. We stuck with it though, and, with a lot of eye contact and lip reading, the conversation began to flow. The Portuguese Custard tarts (Pasteis de Nata) and other lovely cakes did a lot to compensate for the noise and bustle.

At first we shared our table with a two-language (not the same as bilingual, is it) family of a Welsh speaking mother and English speaking father, a baby and a bilingual child. We pounced on the father as soon as he mentioned that he wanted to learn Welsh. I told him about SSiW and Deborah generously donated her very last card. One of the Crwst staff turned up at our tablle and expressed appreciation of our commitment to learning Welsh.

The topics of conversation ranged from terrifying Ugandan raptors to suub-atomic microbiology all conducted in confident and inventive Welsh. As usuual the "“byd bach” phenomenon cropped up. I discovered that Sara not only knew my microbiologist friend from our hippy days in 1960s UEA but that he had been her second supervisor. I also discovered that our new member, Susy, and I shared the same alma mater, Aberdeen. The facts that we were at least 2 generations apart and she read Celtic Studies while I did Physics did not diminish oour kindred feeling. I had the pleasure of Susy’s company for the first leg of my journey North when I dropped her off in the Aber campus (much to the confusion of my satnav :laughing: )

I am looking forward to our next meeting very much but am fully aware that we may be obliged to postpone it till the current pandemic has passed.

Diolch o galon, ffrindiau.

3 Likes

Welcome back Huw. Sorry to hear about the sad family event, but glad we got a cwtch in before certain virus fears make it out of bounds for a while.

It was a very interesting meetup with such a range of topics. I look forward to the next one, but a quieter venue would be good.

1 Like

Is Clonc still on going during this period, or are you guys on hold for now? Diolch! :slight_smile:

We haven’t planned our next meetup yet, but I think we should take a break until things are looking a little more certain.

3 Likes