Clonc-edigion - The Touring Ceredigion Meet Up

This is great!

1 Like

@hewrop not related to the thread, but kind of related.

Did you say you lived in/or around Ystrad Meurig? We found ourselves driving through this morning whilst picking up a piano stool from someone in Swyddfynnon.

Would’ve said something in advance, but we just put the sat nav on from Aber, and didn’t realise it went through there until we were there.

We live in the metropolis of Ystrad Meurig itself but nearly a mile after the turn towards Swyddffynon at the crossroads by the church and the Edward Richards centre. :slight_smile:

Hopefully I should be able to make the 17th too – I had such a great time last time, so am really looking forward to it. It was really nice to meet some great new people.
For my part, I hardly ever come on the forum, so thanks for also advertising it through Facebook or I wouldn’t have known about it!
Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Carolyn
PS @Isata I’ll try to come to Mach on the 10th too – did you say it was 11am in Siop Alys?

3 Likes

10:30. Siop Alys (next to the Owain Glyndŵr centre). Hope you can make it!

I’ll put it in my diary! x

1 Like

I promised to give the lady in the Riverside Cafe, Tregaron, a rough idea of numbers coming on 17th so I’d like to ring her on Tuesday evening.
So far, I see from this thread that we have @carolynh, @Isata, @Deborah-SSi, @Nicky, @hewrop and possibly @AnthonyCusack?
Could people kindly post in this thread by Tuesday if they intend to join us?
Dioch pawb. I’m looking forward to it. :smile:

2 Likes

Hello! Hello! That time of the year so quickly? :smiley:

I will be there definitely. Lara is probably going to be there depending on her work rota that comes out tomorrow. But I’ll assume for number’s sake she will be there.

2 Likes

I won’t be able to make it. Sorry :frowning: do keep me posted though and thank you for the message :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BronwenLewis and I think @helenlindsay will be coming too. Are there any more Macheteers joining us?

3 Likes

Yes, I will be there. :coffee:

3 Likes

I should still be able to come. If anyone wants a a lift from Aber, just shout!

1 Like

And don’t forget the Machynlleth meetup is tomorrow (10th) at 10.30 in Caffi Alys. All welcome!

Alternatively, we could pick you up on the way if you like? We’ll be coming that way anyway.

I’m coming tomorrow! I’ll see you all there!

1 Like

I actually meant to come to Mach today but I accidentally woke up with 19 mins to get ready and get there!

See you all next week!

2 Likes

Diolch pawb. I have just let Riverside Cafe know that there will be about 7 of us arriving at about 11 am on Saturday 17/2/18 for Welsh conversation practice.

I intend to stay on for lunch and, having visited and seen their food offerings, I can recommend this to anyone else, especially if you have travelled some distance. (you can check them out here Riverside Cafe Web page )

Dwi’n disgwyl ymlaen 'ch weld chi gyd bore Dydd Sadwrn / Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday morning.
Huw

2 Likes

Well, I think that was a successful meet-up.

Thanks to @hewrop for not only finding the Riverside Cafe, which is easy to miss if you’re only a “passer through” of Tregaron, but also arranging the whole thing.

For those who weren’t there, we had a whole giant room to ourselves sitting around what I could only describe as a “board-room-esque” table. It was very nice to get everyone around the same table though, and have one giant conversation with random sporadic smaller convos breaking off.

Sorry I couldn’t stay for lunch, but being my birthday I’ve got a million and one things to do before going to Gwobrau’r Selar tonight!

Thanks to everyone for the bautiful rendition of “Penblywdd Hapus” at the start! A highlight of my Welsh career!

There were some whispers and suggestions about a North Ceredigion meetup next month, dare I even say it… possibly a meeting just outside the Ceredigion border!!!

Shall we use this thread as a bit of a “What Saturday would everyone prefer?”, “What venue would everyone prefer” type of discussion?

If we’re looking North, we’ve got some options in:

• Machynlleth - Caffi Alys? Possibly hi-jack the Mach-a-teers existing session as a one off, or arrange one for the week after?

• Tre’r Dol - Caffi Cletwr? Easy location, near to the Mach crew.

Any others for 10?

2 Likes

Yes it was a very enjoyable clonc. The 7 of us were joined by Mike from Tregaron who does not appear so much on the forum and we put the world to rights on a wide range of topics with only occasional recourse to the Geiriadur apps. We can also claim a mention in the “what have you done for SSiW” thread. The Welsh speaking owner of Riverside Cafe had spoken to a couple of customers about our Welsh conversational practice, so I went up to them and spoke to them about SSiW. I called @Deborah-SSi across because I knew she’d have a SSiW card on her person. I discovered that they were in fact Ystrad Meurig neighbours. :smile:

Talk about bach byd / small world! @Isata picked up the fact the I was born in Ebbw Vale and asked if I knew the suburb of Beaufort, (Head of the Valleys). “Know it?” I replied. “I was born there!”. It turns out that she is closely related to the family of funeral directors who have buried all my relatives. (I hope to negotiate a discount when it comes to my turn :laughing: )

Thanks to everyone for the “craic” but especially to the birthday boy, @Nicky, who had the original cloncing idea. :smile:

5 Likes

Yes, it was very enjoyable and a great location.

The Welsh-speaking host (owner?) was really friendly and supportive, and the younger woman serving who didn’t speak Welsh also now has an SSiW business card in her possession. I intend going there again when I have Welsh-speaking guests who fancy exploring the general Tregaron area.

It was lovely to meet Mike, and to hear that he found out about the meetup through reading about it in the weekly email! I always find it very motivating when I meet someone who reads it :grin:

I’m looking forward to the next one already, though March is looking pretty busy for me. I definitely can’t make the 10th, and I will most likely be late to arrive on the 17th and 24th, but happy to get to wherever by lunchtime and make an afternoon of it.

3 Likes