Comments on the Six Minute a Day course

@betty-heath Welcome to the forum, Betty! I definitely used the pause button when I first started learning. It was hard to make my mouth form these new sounds and words, and it was a lot less stressful for me to pause. You may discover as time goes on you can fly along without it :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure that somewhere in the old course Iestyn said it was okay to swear at the tutors :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

Oh no. Sgwrs Cymraeg in Melbourne is on Chapel ground…:smiling_imp:

1 Like

No, no, the SSiW tutors :slight_smile: I told Aran a while ago we need a lesson that teaches us how to swear in Welsh - essential for those of us who don’t live in Wales, because how else are we going to learn? :joy: :wink:

Try the Irish May the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat
Edited to make a link that works…

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr am eich amser i Slack…thank you very much for your time in Slack :+1:

1 Like

Are there still different courses? I only found one, a £10 a month course. It doesn’t seem to have a name like these courses you are saying. Does it come with tutors?

There are different ways of working through the same material. They all just require a £10 a month (or £100 for the year) subscription, but there are other options as well.

If you’re interested in having sessions with tutors then you need to be in the ‘structured’ course which takes you through Levels 1 and 2, either at a rate of 1 Challenge per week (6 Minutes a Day) or 2 Challenges a week (6 Months). Below is a link to the 6 Minutes options that are available. If you’re interested in doing the 6 Months version, you’ll need to email admin@saysomethingin.com and ask about that, or you can just take out the subscription without joining a course and you have access to all the online material to use independently.

https://discover.saysomethingin.com/welsh3c

Thank you!!

1 Like

I’m new here so unsure how to post. I started the 6min course on 23 Dec, completed Challenge 1 and promptly caught covid badly enough to lay me out. I come back to the course to find it nagging me for Challenge 4! This is somwhat de-motivating as I have no chance when it comes to catching up. Can I reset anything to get back to Challenge 2,?

I’m tagging @Deborah-SSi in case I miss anything, but I think if you login to the website, you’ll be able to use the ‘View Previous’ button to go back and read the text of the emails you missed and you can re-send them to yourself from there as well, so that should get you back to challenge 2. You can also ask to pause the emails while you catch up if you need to. If I’m wrong, Deborah will be able to advise.

Sorry to hear you had Covid @IanH. I hope you’re a lot better now. It’s up to you whether you just allow the emails to keep coming and save them, working through them as and when you’re ready, or you contact admin@saysomethingin.com and ask for your emails to be paused temporarily, or to be set back to Challenge 2. We can adjust either way for you.

I’ve searched for this answer but can’t find it - I’m doing the “Six Minutes a Day” course, so getting a new challenge once a week. I’ve seen it recommended in a few places to not keep repeating the challenges unless you really need to, but is there something else I should be doing until I get next week’s e-mail? Or should I go ahead and repeat it while I wait for the next?

Hi @chandra_s, the Six Minutes course sends you an email each Monday with the Challenge for the week, plus some additional tasks.
Some people work along at that suggested pace, either just doing 10 minutes of the Challenge each day, or repeating it a few times if they wish. While it’s not necessary to repeat as the material itself is repeated for you in following Challenges, it’s not a problem if you’d like to do that.
Other people like to move on at a faster pace, so they use the ‘Learn’ option above and choose ‘Challenges’ to work on independently. They either ask to be moved ahead in the course from time to time, then work through the emails they’ve jumped over, or they allow the emails to come according to the usual schedule and have another run through the Challenge for the week as a way of seeing how much they’ve improved in the meantime.
Have you joined the 6/6 Support Slack group? It’s a good place to discuss these kinds of questions and to join in the online Q&A and Welsh practice sessions.

1 Like

I’ve just signed up today after completing the trial (‘Learn One Sentence in Welsh’). I hope I’ve made the right decision. Eek! I look forward to getting Aran’s weekly emails starting from Monday next week.

Croeso @Bill_Evans ! If you’d like to start straight away instead of waiting until next Monday, just send me a message in Slack - Deborah (SSiW)

Hi. Thank you. I am ok to wait. Much appreciated. But, I haven’t received link for Slack. That would be helpful to get on there soon. Diolch yn fawr iawn. Bill

1 Like

Check your spam folder. I think sometimes the Slack emails end up there. If you can’t find it, I’ll send you another one.

Nope. Nothing there. Sorry. If you could send again, that would be great. I’ll confirm receipt. Ta. Bill

@Bill_Evans I’ve just sent you another one now. See if that one finds you.

Sorry. Nothing in Inbox, or Spam, or Trash.
You are sending to bill_evans@btinternet.com
Thanks. Bill