Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

I kept putting off that listening practice. I finally clicked on it, listened for about thirty seconds, then paused it and said, ā€œThis is horrible. I may die.ā€ Also, itā€™s said faster than what I could comprehend. I donā€™t catch much of it.
Going to listen to it for the third time. Maybe someday Iā€™ll get it.

Me most of the time: Iā€™ve got it figured out! I know when C mutates into G!
Me during a lesson: Medra i cofioā€¦
Seriously, what is it about doing the lessons that makes my brain slow down and forget everything Iā€™ve ever known?

Aran: Iā€™ve got to stop for about a month.
Me: Ond dwi ddim isio stopio!
Note that I also have the habit of practicing in bursts, then not touching the recordings for a while. I feel like such a hypocriteā€¦

ā€œDwiā€™n mynd i ddeud rhywbeth arallā€¦ os dwi ddim yn fethu.ā€ :roll_eyes:
I have no memory of ā€œpobā€ being in these lessons. I also worried about whether it was ā€œpob fisā€ or ā€œpob misā€ā€¦ and didnā€™t give thought to whether ā€œpobā€ mutated into ā€œbobā€. Oops. :crazy_face: (Hmm, itā€™s not mentioned in the vocab list for some reason. :thinking:)
Okay, I know we didnā€™t do ā€œblwyddynā€. And now ā€œamlachā€. Youā€™re really mean in Challenge 6, @aran.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m a retired lady living in Shropshire. My family moved from Liverpool to Corwen in 1962, so for some years I was exposed to a great deal of Welsh language, including lots of school lessons and Urdd activities. I am able to understand spoken Welsh to some degree and have an enormous Welsh vocabulary somewhere in my brain, but I feel unable to speak Welsh as I am unsure of grammar, particularly verb structure. I hope SSi will help.

Because of my early exposure to a foreign language, I have found that language learning has been quite easy for me, and have learnt Latin, French, Russian and Spanish to at least O level (Spanish to degree level) and have a ā€˜nodding acquaintanceā€™ with other languages. My 4 year old grandson is trilingual in Japanese, English and German, so languages are very important in our family!

Iā€™d love to attend a Bwtcamp in the future and look forward to learning to speak Welsh better soon. Hwyl fawr am nawr!

Lesley

4 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the important bitā€¦ :slight_smile: 5 minutes a day and your brain will adapt surprisingly quickly. Everything else you report is completely normal, and suggests youā€™re a) doing very well and b) over-thinking it a bitā€¦:wink: Relax and keep going - youā€™ve got thisā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hi @lesley-6 - and a very warm welcome to the forum! Itā€™s going to be fun watching your Welsh come back to life - weā€™ve seen that can sometimes happen much more quickly than people are expectingā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi. I am really enjoying this learning one sentence in Welsh. I love a challenge. My husband & I moved to Anglesey 3 months ago and live amongst Welsh speakers so I decided to learn. I also volunteer at RDA so will be able to use Welsh (hopefully!!) in my job. :blush:

3 Likes

Hello/Croeso, everyone!

My first language is (American) English, but I majored in French in college and studied Latin and Ancient Greek for my Classical Studies minor. Iā€™ve dabbled in a lot of languages and Welsh is the most recent one to fall victim to my hubris. (To be honest, I donā€™t know quite why I decided I wanted to learn it; I live smack-dab in the middle of the United States and, to my knowledge, I have no Welsh heritage to speak of.)

I started the Welsh course over on Duolingo and have been having far more fun with it than I expected. On Twitter, I found a lot of people recommending this site as well, so I decided to check it out! It seems like a really great community.

Looking forward to learning more in the future! Best of luck to you, fellow learners :hearts:

5 Likes

Croeso! Welcome to the forum @amanda-14 @dawn-8 @lesley-6 @janet-wynn @5mewalke :grinning:

You will find a lot of us live in the US, so there are people to practice with in closer time zones and thereā€™s an event coming up in Milwaukee soon.

2 Likes

Greeting to you allā€¦I am Dawn and I live in outback Australia (Parkes in New South Wales to be exact.)We are about 600ks west of Sydney. I have no idea why I am attempting to learn Welsh and of course being out here in the bush there are no Welsh speaking people, so I guess I will just bumble on regardlessā€¦I have very little tech knowledge so am not sure how I will go communicating with any of youā€¦I wish you all success. D

4 Likes

Hello all, Iā€™m from Wrexham (North Wales), and although I learned some Welsh throughout school, I had no interest in retaining the language at all at the time. 25 ish years later, having joined the Froncysylte Male Voice Choir (as a top tenor), I decided I no longer wanted to remain a ā€˜plasticā€™ Welshman, so this is my venture into learning it for good.

Iā€™ve applied for a job at a local educational institution, and Welsh is a desirable skill. I have too many reasons to learn Welsh, than to not!

Unfortunely, all of the Welsh songs and hymns Iā€™ve learnt (as beautiful as they are) havenā€™t proved much use in everday life, however Iā€™m hoping that my ability to pronounce any Welsh I read will stand me in good stead for learning the mechanics of the language. Weā€™ll see!

To all of you whoā€™re not Welsh by blood, I wish you all the best in becoming Welsh speaking adoptees! You have my sincere respect!

Hwyl fawr ffrindiau!

GoTG

5 Likes

Blinkinā€™ nora Lesley, Iā€™m hugely impressed that youā€™re such a multi-linguist!

1 Like

Hi Dawn you have my utmost respect for continuing to learn with zeal, even in ā€˜old ageā€™! All the best with your learning, and I hope you continue to enjoy it!.

Llawer o gariad oddi wrth (lots of love from) GoTG.

1 Like

Hi there, I am new to this site and noticed this post with a KC-area Welsh society. Itā€™s good to see there are other Welsh language learners not too far from me. Thanks for the information!

2 Likes

Hi! I am Margaret Enger, nƩe Griffiths. I have always wanted to learn my third ancestral language - I already speak French - and this looks like a good way.

2 Likes

Hi, I used to live in West Wales (little England beyond Wales) and am ashamed to say never really learnt Welsh! I have now moved ( near Llandysul) and am in a relationship with a welsh speaker. All the family speak Welsh and change to English when I am around so would really really love to learn and speak Welsh !!!

4 Likes

Bore da!

After wonderful holidays in Caernarfon, Snowdonia and Anglesey (or should I say Ynys MĆ“n?) recently, Iā€™ve decided to take the plunge and learn the beautiful Welsh language. Seeing it on signs and in shops and restaurants, and hearing it spoken everywhere particularly inspired me.

As a long-time speaker of Spanish and French (for both of which I hold a degree), and with passable German, Dutch and Russian, I decided that Welsh would be a fabulous addition to my linguistic collection. Of all places, my mind was made up as I listened to locals chatting in Welsh in a microbrewery on the LlÅ·n Peninsula.

Really looking forward to this new language journey.

7 Likes

Hello, just wondering if the course is more aimed towards North / South speaking Cymraeg, as I live yn y De
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @elliott-cocker

There are separate North and south courses so you can take your pick!

Croeso

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do I choose? Do they split off at a certain point?Iā€™ve just done the second day and havenā€™t seen any sign of an option yet

Iā€™m not totally sure if the One Sentence course is split into N & S dialects like the other courses. If it is thogyh, there will be a push button saying Change to Southern (or Northern)

I think the one sentence in Welsh (are you doing that?) is a ā€˜tasterā€™ which is more standard/ northern welsh but everything in it will be usefulā€¦

ā€¦you can choose between dialects in whatever you choose nextā€¦

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

As others have mentioned above, the short taster course is currently only available in the northern version, but as soon as you get to the end youā€™ll be given a choice of north or south if you want to continue. There are a few minor differences, but you get those sorted in the first proper challenge.

1 Like