Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Helo @bushra! I see you found the solution in the 6/6 Support Slack, so hopefully you’re onto Challenge 2 now :slight_smile:

Thank you! Day 4 now… I’m really enjoying this approach to language learning.

2 Likes

I have just done my second day - and it has been good, though when I repeat the longer sentences, I will often miss out a word. My hearing is not good, I am not quite sure I am hearing/ pronouncing right. Getting old! We retired here several year ago, and it is impossible to access classes, so this is brilliant. i would love to have someone near to practice with

2 Likes

Hello! My name is David, I live in Dolywern in the Ceiriog Valley, North Wales. My wife is Welsh speaking
and I have started to learn Welsh in order to be able to join in with family conversations and understand Welsh TV. I am looking forward to speaking with other Welsh learners. I also sing in a Welsh choir and it would be good to understand the words I am singing!

3 Likes

Shwmae!

My name is Dan, I live in California, USA. I have no ties to Welsh. None of my family is from Wales and I don’t personally know a single Welsh speaker, but for some reason I am fascinated with the language. It calls to me somehow. I have studied other languages and disliked them. But, I am very excited to learn Welsh with this program. I just finished day two. I have also been learning Welsh with Duolingo. So, good luck to everyone in their Welsh journey.

Hwyl

3 Likes

Keep an eye on this thread to see if there are any ‘meet ups’ organised near you:

My first post. I’m a Scottish Gaelic speaker and have for long been interested in learning some Welsh - but not made any breakthrough in early efforts. I’m impressed by the tasters and like your style of presentation and your philosophy, and felt I was starting to make a little progress but I’m confused as to where to go now. If I stick with Say Something, what lies ahead? Can I continue to get daily emails? Is the 6 mins a day the only option? I’m not ready for live tutor sessions yet but would like to continue with the type of material I got in the 5 taster sessions where I can do things at my own pace. Any advice would be gratefully received. Diolch.

Welcome Allan!
You can see the full content of the current options here https://discover.saysomethingin.com/learnwelsh6
but it’s also possible to subscribe at the basic rate, get the weekly emails but continue at your own pace without doing the live tutor sessions to start with if that’s what you want to do. I’m sure @Deborah-SSi can advise further.

In the meantime, if I may be a bit cheeky… another new member was asking about translating into Scottish Gaelic here Help for translation into scottish gaelic - perhaps you could help him out?

1 Like

Diolch. I’ll have a look through the options when my brain is fresh. I replied to your correspondent about the Gaelic question.

2 Likes

Thank you Allen - we like to help each other out on this forum!

Remember, whichever path you decide to take, this forum is always available if you need any support :slight_smile:

Croeso Allan! To add to what Siaron has given you, the 6 Minutes course is the way to go if you want to receive weekly emails (we don’t have daily ones after the taster). With that comes registration in our SSiW 6/6 Support Slack workspace where you can post questions and get to know others, set up chat partners, and also join the online group sessions. We have Q&A sessions in English, followed by basic sentence creation practice for absolute beginners; we have NEWYDD sessions for those in the first few weeks or lacking confidence to start speaking; we have lots of general Cymraeg sessions to practise conversation; and we have a few Advanced sessions once you reach that point.
The 6 Minutes schedule gives you one 30-minute Challenge (audio lesson) per week to work through at your own pace. You can do it a little each day, or in longer sessions and repeat it a couple of times - that’s up to you. You can also move ahead in the Challenges by using the ‘Learn’ then ‘Challenges’ option on the website, or you can go more slowly, just saving the weekly emails when they arrive until you’re ready for the next one. It’s quite flexible, so whatever suits you.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to give it some thought, I am only able to give small amounts of time at unpredictable times and want to work at my own pace at the moment. Definitely not ready for group sessions/tutor work yet.

Bore da. Dw i’n likio how this course is presented and I’m really enjoying it even though I’m only a few sessions in. I just wanted to ask, when the guy says dysgu the last vowel sounds quite far back in the throat, but I can’t really hear it when the woman says it. Just wondering if it’s a personal or regional thing, or maybe my headphones :grin: diolch yn fawr

1 Like

Yes, the u sound is technically further back in the throat, but it is also a personal/regional thing - you’ll hear some pronounce it that way but by no means everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m used to a more formal way of learning languages, so I really miss not having the grammar explained, just being told not to worry about apparent anomalies. But I’m sticking at it!

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Hi, Dan. Your story is similar to mine in terms of no Welsh heritage, just an interest in Welsh and Wales. I started in April. Good luck with your learning!

2 Likes

Hi Rich
I am now subscribed and am on lesson 2. The lesson stopped after 8 minutes and whether I press pause or play there is no response. My wifi is fine.
Regarding the previous cloud conversation, old course lesson 3 queued, nothing I did made any difference, following the advice given, which was why I subscribed, thinking it would grant access. It still doesn’t download, and no other lessons are ticked.
Dw i dal isio yrmarfer, dysgu a siarad Cymraeg, ond fedra i ddim, achos fy dosbarth i isn’t yn chwerthin gyda fi! O na! Beth rwan, plis?

1 Like

When you’re subscribed you should be able to access (and download) all the material through a web browser. Click on ‘Learn’ in the top bar and then on ‘Challenges’ - you’ll be able to access all the challenges of all the levels and the old course material from there. If the problems you’re having are through the app, then at least going the browser route will let you in to the material while any app glitches are being sorted out.

1 Like

Hi @yr1arall

Ok so that’s odd. So firstly whilst we are figuring this out - as per Siaron’s excellent advice you should be able to use the material via the website - so your learning isn’t impacted.

I guess I would double check with you that this material is working for you first - this would indicate that your subscription is all up and running OK?

Secondly that you are logging onto the App with the same log in details?

I would try logging out of the App and back in, to force it to pick up your latest subscription status - if you haven’t already…

And if it still isn’t playing ball - something is in a knot - I would delete the App and reinstall…

One of these things should sort it - there are a LOT of app users out there!

Let me know what happens.

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like