Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Bore da bawb!

Rob here, from Y Barri.

Several failed attempts over the last 35 years, so off I go again , waiting anxiously for the moment when I hit the “hump” - the moment when most of the words in a lesson are new to me.
Anyone on here going to be on the bus to Caernarfon on the 27th?

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Rob.

SSIW is a great method to learn so - good choice…and pob lwc- good luck!

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 85% is old advice for when people were doing the challenges on their own, just to give an idea, but more recent research has shown that it’s not actually necessary. The SSiW method gives you plenty of practice as you move through, but if you reach a challenge where you struggle to get ANYTHING out in the gaps, then it’s fine to run through again, or even go back a couple of challenges and have a run up so to speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

I’m a retired American of Welsh descent living in Virginia. At long last have taken the step of learning Welsh. So far, I think this course and this method is working, is fun, and I hope for continued success.

5 Likes

Shwmae pawb! Michaela ydw i. Rwy’n byw yn Ne Cymru. (I hope that’s right :laughing: )
I am so pleased to find this great tool and community. I have a very exciting year ahead of me, as I have been given an amazing opportunity to take a sabbatical year to learn Welsh. I am feeling a little apprehensive but overall I am optimistic.
The other day I bumped into my old school teacher and told her my news. She suggested I check out ‘SaySomethinginWelsh’ and so here I am!

Challenge 1 has got me hooked. Talk about a needing a brain break after that though!

I have lived in Wales my whole life, however only learning Welsh once a week for a hour in school, never got me anywhere! I now need to improve my Welsh for my job, but I also wanted to do this in memory of my VERY Welsh Papa (grandad) - Emrys Jones (https://emrys.wales), who would have been so proud.

Looking forward to seeing my Welsh improve every day/week/month.

Pob lwc a hwyl fawr am y tro!

4 Likes

Hello @keith-10 and @Michaela-Cambrensis! Welcome to the forum and pob lwc with your Welsh learning journey! This is a friendly place, so please feel free to bring your questions and share your struggles and victories with us. :smile:

4 Likes

Hi all, I have been debating joining this community for a while so I have jumped in today. I’ve been listening to Welsh all my life (from the Valleys to Swansea) but have never had any confidence to speak it to others - looking forward to gaining some skills to help me in work and with my children :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @gemma-13! We’re glad you joined us! :grinning:

2 Likes

Well I have done the 10 minute second lesson and while I recognise what is being said and think I can remember what to say I am sure that my accent is horrific! It is going to be a little while before I feel brave enough to say anything in front of my Welsh speaking colleagues! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi I am Dawn…am thoroughly enjoying this Welsh Language course. I am an old lady (in Australia) who loves to study…particularly languages. I find that if I write the Welsh words down in a note book I have something to look at whilst picking up grandchildren from school, waiting for appointments etc. This way I always have the words in my mind. Now pronouncing these words is a bit of a struggle, actually a BIG struggle. Very impressed with the delivery method of teaching, something new for me.
Cheers
Dawn Ball

3 Likes

It’s probably not - most of our learners end up with really good accents, because they spend so much time listening carefully to the model phrases… :slight_smile:

I actually have to remind myself that everyone is learning, because from the recordings I’ve heard, everyone sounds so natural.

2 Likes

I kept putting off that listening practice. I finally clicked on it, listened for about thirty seconds, then paused it and said, “This is horrible. I may die.” Also, it’s said faster than what I could comprehend. I don’t catch much of it.
Going to listen to it for the third time. Maybe someday I’ll get it.

Me most of the time: I’ve got it figured out! I know when C mutates into G!
Me during a lesson: Medra i cofio…
Seriously, what is it about doing the lessons that makes my brain slow down and forget everything I’ve ever known?

Aran: I’ve got to stop for about a month.
Me: Ond dwi ddim isio stopio!
Note that I also have the habit of practicing in bursts, then not touching the recordings for a while. I feel like such a hypocrite…

“Dwi’n mynd i ddeud rhywbeth arall… os dwi ddim yn fethu.” :roll_eyes:
I have no memory of “pob” being in these lessons. I also worried about whether it was “pob fis” or “pob mis”… and didn’t give thought to whether “pob” mutated into “bob”. Oops. :crazy_face: (Hmm, it’s not mentioned in the vocab list for some reason. :thinking:)
Okay, I know we didn’t do “blwyddyn”. And now “amlach”. You’re really mean in Challenge 6, @aran.

1 Like

Hi, I’m a retired lady living in Shropshire. My family moved from Liverpool to Corwen in 1962, so for some years I was exposed to a great deal of Welsh language, including lots of school lessons and Urdd activities. I am able to understand spoken Welsh to some degree and have an enormous Welsh vocabulary somewhere in my brain, but I feel unable to speak Welsh as I am unsure of grammar, particularly verb structure. I hope SSi will help.

Because of my early exposure to a foreign language, I have found that language learning has been quite easy for me, and have learnt Latin, French, Russian and Spanish to at least O level (Spanish to degree level) and have a ‘nodding acquaintance’ with other languages. My 4 year old grandson is trilingual in Japanese, English and German, so languages are very important in our family!

I’d love to attend a Bwtcamp in the future and look forward to learning to speak Welsh better soon. Hwyl fawr am nawr!

Lesley

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the important bit… :slight_smile: 5 minutes a day and your brain will adapt surprisingly quickly. Everything else you report is completely normal, and suggests you’re a) doing very well and b) over-thinking it a bit…:wink: Relax and keep going - you’ve got this… :slight_smile:

Hi @lesley-6 - and a very warm welcome to the forum! It’s going to be fun watching your Welsh come back to life - we’ve seen that can sometimes happen much more quickly than people are expecting… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi. I am really enjoying this learning one sentence in Welsh. I love a challenge. My husband & I moved to Anglesey 3 months ago and live amongst Welsh speakers so I decided to learn. I also volunteer at RDA so will be able to use Welsh (hopefully!!) in my job. :blush:

3 Likes

Hello/Croeso, everyone!

My first language is (American) English, but I majored in French in college and studied Latin and Ancient Greek for my Classical Studies minor. I’ve dabbled in a lot of languages and Welsh is the most recent one to fall victim to my hubris. (To be honest, I don’t know quite why I decided I wanted to learn it; I live smack-dab in the middle of the United States and, to my knowledge, I have no Welsh heritage to speak of.)

I started the Welsh course over on Duolingo and have been having far more fun with it than I expected. On Twitter, I found a lot of people recommending this site as well, so I decided to check it out! It seems like a really great community.

Looking forward to learning more in the future! Best of luck to you, fellow learners :hearts:

5 Likes

Croeso! Welcome to the forum @amanda-14 @dawn-8 @lesley-6 @janet-wynn @5mewalke :grinning:

You will find a lot of us live in the US, so there are people to practice with in closer time zones and there’s an event coming up in Milwaukee soon.

2 Likes

Greeting to you all…I am Dawn and I live in outback Australia (Parkes in New South Wales to be exact.)We are about 600ks west of Sydney. I have no idea why I am attempting to learn Welsh and of course being out here in the bush there are no Welsh speaking people, so I guess I will just bumble on regardless…I have very little tech knowledge so am not sure how I will go communicating with any of you…I wish you all success. D

4 Likes

Hello all, I’m from Wrexham (North Wales), and although I learned some Welsh throughout school, I had no interest in retaining the language at all at the time. 25 ish years later, having joined the Froncysylte Male Voice Choir (as a top tenor), I decided I no longer wanted to remain a ‘plastic’ Welshman, so this is my venture into learning it for good.

I’ve applied for a job at a local educational institution, and Welsh is a desirable skill. I have too many reasons to learn Welsh, than to not!

Unfortunely, all of the Welsh songs and hymns I’ve learnt (as beautiful as they are) haven’t proved much use in everday life, however I’m hoping that my ability to pronounce any Welsh I read will stand me in good stead for learning the mechanics of the language. We’ll see!

To all of you who’re not Welsh by blood, I wish you all the best in becoming Welsh speaking adoptees! You have my sincere respect!

Hwyl fawr ffrindiau!

GoTG

5 Likes