SSi Forum

Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hello, I just watched Hinterland on Netflix and was very disappointed when I realised it had been made in Welsh, but I could only watch the English version. I live in Poland, so I never watched the series when it was on originally. So I went on YouTube and learned more about how they’d made the series, and then I started thinking about how sad it was that I’d never learnt anything about Wales from my time in school, much less the language, and I thought that I should start doing something about it. So here I am! As someone who’s very much a visual learner, it’s an interesting methodology. So far, I haven’t had any problems remembering the Welsh words - the biggest problem has been remembering what I was supposed to say to start off with! Perhaps because I’ve learnt other foreign languages to a high level and don’t tend to translate in my head what I want to say? Well, I suppose that’s a discussion for another place. Anyway, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this out and show me a new way :slight_smile:

Haia @karen-sayce a chroeso! If you go to S4C/Clic then choose the Byd-Eang (Worldwide) category, look for the series Craith. It’s along the lines of Hinterland, but in Welsh and it’s fantastic! Scandi Noir set in Wales that will have you on the edge of your seat.

Sounds great! Thanks very much for the tip. Perfect for the long winter nights ahead :slight_smile:

Greetings from Bangor California… yes california = ) Family of 8 over here learning welsh via Duolingo for the past few months… Today I saw someone mention something about SSIW on duolingo and decided to check it out. Very nice to hear real people say the words and not just a robot!! Looking foward to hearing tomorrow’s lesson