Cwpan Rygbi'r Byd - 2015 - Rugby World Cup

I am starting this because there was general agreement in various strands where the subject of the World Cup came up, that we need it as a Topic and it is soon to start. Also, I was shocked to see that some hotels in Cardiff are putting prices up enormously for dates when matches are played. One example given was a room normally £92 going up to over £490!!
In contrast, a lovely lady was telling of an exchange scheme whereby she’d been to New Zealand and stayed with a family and now she was to entertain fans from outside Britain. That way, instead of going back remembering Cardiff as a rip-off, folk will remember it as part of a huge rugby family!!
I’m afraid I can’t offer anyone hospitality, living where I do and given my state of health, but I give good wishes to all coming to Cwpan Rygbi’r Byd!!!

3 Likes

Yay I cant wait for this. Although as I’ve said before, I find it hard to see anyone but the All Blacks winning. Damn Kiwis. And the ads have started very slowly, but it appears I will at least get all Wallabies games, and a few others on free-to-air :smile:

1 Like

Yay, come on the All Blacks … or Cymru … or the All Blacks. It’s hard when you have allegiances to more than one country :smile:

3 Likes

But it does give you doublethe chance!

1 Like

And when Cymru plays the All Blacks I get excited at every point!

2 Likes

Technically speaking, I think it gives Dee about 1.1 the chance…:wink:

2 Likes

anyone that doesn’t have a Quade Cooper has a better chance than the Wallabies. So talented but always seems to find a way to bugger it up.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll see your Quade Cooper and raise you a James Hook - Intercept-Passes-R-Us.

I use this system to always win the 6 Nations. If England win, yay, I’m English. If Ireland win, yay, parents and brother live in Ireland. If Wales win, yay, Tom’s happy. I reckon with those three it gives me a greater than 50% chance!

2 Likes

Cymru am byth!

(ummm … Slovenia didn’t qualify but was (let say somehow) very close. :slight_smile: so … Cymru for me but if not Cymru, then AllBlacks are the ones. :slight_smile:

I already see myself glued to the computer screen, being totally quiet and just wait occassionally when Halfpenny kicks penalty repeating in my mind “Ti’n gallu i neud e … Ti’n gallu i neud e!” and he does it … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Warren agrees with you and hasn’t put him in the 31!!!

1 Like

Disaster! Ofnadwy! Losing Leigh and Rhys before the games even start!! I had this nasty feeling about playing in black, but I didn’t expect mourning to start at once!!! Is it possible that either lad will be able to play at all? Does anyone know any young full backs?

Aside, possibly, from losing, I don’t think that could have gone worse.

1 Like

Yah. What I the least expected was loosing Halfpenny. it is a disaster and all doesn’t look too good. I don’t actually think those games in last moment were really neccessary, were they?

When games are played so near to the way more important championships (no matter rugby or anything else) I’m always a bit afraid of someone of “key function” to be injured and would not be able to perform when really needed …

Why they played in black at all? This was not good choice. For God’s sake among so many colors just black has to be the one of choice?! I feel black only goes with AllBlacks and nobody else …

I feel a bit guilty too as I didn’t watch the game. I just somehow have a feeling that if I would this wouldn’t happen …

And about almost loosing the match: I had many times said in previous years elswhere on twitter and FB “Beware of Italians! They’re better and better.” I know them. They’re my neighbouring country and I know they’re determined, passionate and they don’t give up just too easily and also they’re not afraid of anyone when it comes to sports. If they loose they might be devastated at the moment but they’re stronger next time which goes on and on and on until they actually succeed. However we all have bad moments of course.

Hope Welsh bad moments turn to good at the end. We in Slovenia have a saying: “Na konc’ gajžla poč’.” what would mean something like “The whip cracks at the end.” So, you never know what might happen. The championship didn’t start yet so we mustn’t loose hope just yet, also for the sake of player not just us. :slight_smile:

Nice of the Italians not to bother playing against Scotland, and deciding to turn up against us. Sigh.

Gareth Davies is a very promising 9 for the future, but the World Cup isn’t really for new caps. Rhys Webb hasn’t broken his ankle, apparently, but it could be ligament damage - it seems as though it won’t be clear if either of them is out until later in the week.

Liam Williams is a completely bonkers but actually quite good replacement as a 15, and there’s precious little in it with Biggar’s kicking against Halfpenny (except for not having the same range) - but again, the loss of experience is a huge blow.

Considering that the pool was already on a knife-edge, this definitely leaves us looking the least likely to go through.

Yah, one couldn’t dream of such one even in most bad dreams. On a knife-edge is really suitable expression …

1 Like

Especially as Leigh isn’t just a full back and place kicker. but a generally good player with an instinct. Not quite Shane Williams and not Barry John, but heading that way!! He’s not far off JPR as a full back!
@tatjana
I’m not sure why the alternate kit is black, but having a coach from down-under may have something to do with it. I actually prefer black to the dismal grey we had at one time, but I do think red and green stripes might have been better, or quartered red/green?

1 Like

haven’t heard about the injuries apart from here. will have to have a look at walesonline after. Ordered couple cheap new rugby tops for my son and me today. Theo ne I had brought over already is a bit long in the tooth and ready for special retirement - 14-15 years service :smile:
but damned if the exchange rate isn’t a killer. 40pound quite quickly turned into 100-odd bucks :frowning:

1 Like

In the 1970s we used to reckon 2 dollars Australian = £1!!! It is a pain but if your currency has gained that much value, you must be doing something right!!! I just bought one of the zipped tops they wear for the anthems and it cost me £59. I wouldn’t have paid more!!
Leigh is definitely out for the entire Cup and I’ve just heard that Rhys Webb is too! I would love a young, new talent to emerge!! Gareth and Barry were only about 18 or 19 when they started!!! :smiley:

Gareth Davies is an excellent 9 and will play a lot of games for Wales, I think. But experience at 9 is a big, big part of a good run in the World Cup.

I’m gutted for Halfpenny - he was obviously hit really hard by the conversion he missed at the end of the semi-final in 2011, and to be robbed of the chance to try and go one better must be really, really tough for him.

1 Like