Does the course provide useful Castilian content for a Latin American speaker?

Quick question: I’m using SSi to learn Welsh, and my partner has heard me using it and also singing its praises. She already speaks really quite fluent Spanish, but having grown up partly in Mexico she tends to use some Latin American pronunciation and vocabulary which European Castilian speakers sometimes comment on rather judgementally. She has to go to Madrid for work in a few weeks and was wondering about trying to use SSi Spanish to brush up on more specifically European Spanish. Is this likely to be useful to her? (The only relevant thread on the Forum I’ve found is this one, which suggests to me that it might not be very helpful.)

Far as I can tell, the pronunciation in the course is largely Latin American rather than European; as such, your partner probably won’t really benefit much. Besides which, if the people she’s working with are going to be judgemental about her speaking good Spanish but from a different place, then frankly they’re probably going to find some reason to be nasty regardless and probably aren’t really worth hanging around outside of work anyway. I suppose it depends on whether it’s the kind of ribbing that I might give an American for saying and spelling everything wrong in English, or whether it’s actual nastiness.

Fake Edit: Please note that I do not believe American English to be automatically incorrect; I just like to tease Americans about it ;).

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a combination - more European than American, but probably not enough to make very much difference to an already confident Spanish speaker.

I’d say she should just stand her ground, talk how she normally talks, and ignore or roll her eyes at anyone who is rude enough to comment… :slight_smile:

3 Likes