Exeter Welsh Chat for Learners / Grŵp Sgwrsiau Cymraeg De Gorllewin Lloegr

Hello Steffan
At this stage my feeling is still to go ahead with the meeting on 28th…
Catherine

Hi Steffan
I’m probably with Catherine on this at the moment, but I suspect that government advice might have changed by the end of the month. I’m sure we’ll need to consider the situation nearer the time.
Sandra

Dear All
We will, of course, be postponing meeting as a group until this has all blown over. See you all in August or maybe September when we will all be fluent!!
#rhuglerbynmismedi
Bydd yn 'ofalus pawb.
Steffan
@CatrinLliarJones

Diolch Steffan. Dw i’n gobaith pawb yn aros yn dda.

Hi Steffan
I’m afraid I’m jumping ship for the time being. I haven’t done any Welsh for months so I am going to stop my monthly payments to SSIW for the time being. I enjoyed the meeting with you and Sandra and wish you all success when life gets back to normal. I hope you have kept well.
Best wishes Jane

Hi Jane, no problem at all. You are of course still more than welcome to meet with us even if SSiW isn’t running. My email is steffanparry@gmail.com if you want to keep in touch.
Hayley
Steff

Hi all, I’m in Heavitree and I’ve just started my SSIW journey but I’ve been learning via Duolingo for a few months. Fingers crossed that by the time meets are possible again I’ll be able to have a conversation!

Hello Emma
Welcome to the group! Sorry for my delay in replying. I manage the group and this conversation and you’re more than welcome to join us when we meet again. It sounds like you’re doing great with Duolingo and SSiW on the go so I’m sure you’ll be able to say a few things, even if not then do come along, we’re a very casual bunch.
I will be posting soon about how people feel about meeting up again and when that might happen so do feel free to chip in at that point.
Hwyl
Steffan

Helo Steffan a SSiWers o Gaerwisg
Dw i’n gobeithio eich bod i gyd yn iach. Dw i’di bod yn ceisio amarfer fy Nghymraeg yn ystod y cyfyngiadau symud. Wythnos diwetha ysgrufennes i ebost at ffrind Cymraeg fy chwaer sy’n byw yng Nghernyw. Ysgrufennes i ddim ond dwy paragraffau - ond treuliais i’r bore yn ysgrufennu nhw. Anfones i’r ebost, ac atebodd ffrind fy chwaer "It was lovely to get your email but I don’t speak Welsh’ !
Dw i’n edrych ymlaen at eich gweld eto yn fuan…
Cofion gorau
Catherine

Hello Steffan and Exeter SSiWers.
I decided to try to write something in Welsh…so here’s what I meant to say!
I hope you are all well. I have been trying to practice my Welsh during lockdown. Last week I wrote an email to a Welsh friend of my sister, who lives in Cornwall. I only wrote two paragraphs but it took me all morning to write them. I sent the email and my sister’s friend replied: "It was lovely to get your email but I don’t speak Welsh!

I’m much looking forward to seeing you again soon…

Best wishes
Catherine

PS Steffan do you have any thoughts on when we might meet next?..I do hope it will be soon, even if it that means an open air meeting… I would really like to try to speak some Welsh in real life, and the group seems such a supportive and friendly place to do it. … Best wishes Catherine

Bore da Catherine!
Da iawn chi am ysgrifennu at ’ch ffrind yn Gymraeg, efallai bydd hi’n dechrau dysgu rwan.
Diolch am y neges, dwi wedi bod yn meddwl am ailddechrau’r grwp yn fuan. Mae grwp bach Cymraeg wedi bod yn cyfarfod yn fy mhentre trwy’r Hâf, lle dach chi’n byw? Dan ni’n cyfarfod bob wythnos mewn ein gerddi.
Mi fydda i’n ofyn iddi nhw heddiw am cyfarfod fel grwp Caerwisg eto. Oes syniadau efo chi?
Hwyl am y tro…

Well done for writing to your friend in Welsh, maybe she will start to learn as a result?
I have been thinking about restarting the group in Exeter. A small group has been meeting in my village through the summer, where do you live? We meet each week in our gardens.
I’ll ask them today about meeting again as the Exeter group and how that might work. Do you have any ideas?
Speak soon
Steff

S’mae Steff
Mae’n ddrwg gen i fod yn araf i ymateb. Dw i wedi bod yn brysur iawn y wythnos 'ma. Dw i’n byw yn Brixham. Dw i’n medru gyrru ond mae fy nghar i’n hen, a fel arfer dw i’n dod i Gaerwysg gyda’r trên. Dw i’n mynd i ysgrufennu yn Saesneg rwan, achos mae fy Nghymraeg i ddim yn ddigon da!
It is good that you have a group of Welsh learners who meet in the village… I have asked around in Brixham but have not met anyone else here who is learning. When I thought about it a bit more I realised just how hard it is to come up with ideas for meeting again in Exeter, however much I would like to: meeting outside would be the most obvious thing but it is weather dependent and that makes it difficult to plan, even more so as summer is coming to an end and the evenings are getting shorter. People’s appetite to meet up also varies so much at the moment: personally I don’t feel entirely comfortable about having to give my name and contact details just to be able to meet someone in a café for a cup of tea. And to be honest I’m not even entirely sure how many people are allowed to meet nowadays and in what circumstances. I feel sad that I had just discovered the Exeter group as lockdown hit…it seems that the longer I go on without actually trying to speak Welsh face to face the more of a psychological barrier there will be, but neither am I ready to do the online Zoom-type stuff which I don’t enjoy even in English! I guess for those who are physically able, maybe we could meet somewhere like Dawlish or Exmouth for a walk with the emphasis on trying to speak Welsh…it might be difficult for some of us without dictionaries etc to hand but it might be worth a try? Anyway I do hope that in time a way forward for the group will become clear…and if and when we can meet I would definitely like to be involved again.
Best wishes to you and the other Welsh learners in the village group and hopefully we can keep in touch via the forum at least!
Catherine

Sh’mae Catherine

I would be happy to meet with you in Dawlish to try to stutter through some Welsh! :wink:

Best wishes

Sandra

S’mae Sandra
Mae’n dda clywed gynnoch chi. It’s good to hear from you. Perhaps we could arrange a time during September to meet…dach chi’n rhydd ar ddydd Sadwrn? Are you free on Saturdays?
Best wishes
Catherine

Hei Sandra a Chatherine, rho 'wybod i mi os dach chi’n medru cyfarfod. Mi fydda i’n trio dod. Let me know if you are able to meet, I’ll try to come along. See you on Saturday Sandra?

Hi Catherine

Firstly, many apologies for not replying sooner - I keep forgetting to check the page now that Exeter group isn’t meeting!

I am generally free on Saturday afternoons, if that’s any help. The weather’s not so good now, but hopefully there will be some fine days still to come. Best wishes, Sandra