Format of skype practice

BTW, I learned (thanks to “Rownd a Rownd”(!)), that “felly” can be used in another way:

“Dim felly” to mean “not really” (in answer to a question), e.g.
"Wyti’n leicio pigoglys [spinach]?
“Dim felly”.

2 Likes

Oh thanks, that is a very useful expression!

Thank you. This flatters me however I’m not sure. You’re all learning so fast and I’ve just found out a week ago speaking with @brigitte that I’m talking worse every single time I talk with someone. I hate to admit but I’m (obviously) loosing my Welsh as fast as I’ve gained it and Christmas time is always the time of loosing the energy, passion and whatever comes with it for me instead of being oposite. I’m not learning anything at the moment. I write occassional tweet or FB post and nothing more. I hope with all those holidays behind me it will starting to get better. Yah, I feel guilty as you all put so much energy and everything in me learning Welsh and I am all without energy all of a sudden to continue learning. So, sorry, but it might happen I won’t be there though.

Oh, do post your list here so i have some chance to try and learn and remember.

This remembering words is a strange / frustrating problem (for me).
Tonight there were times you were searching for a word which i knew i knew but could not remember,
yet when you used the word Iwerddon , i understood immediately, yet this seems a word i would not use often at all (strange, some words stick and others slide).

Ah Tatjana bach, you could just listen and enjoy a bottle of wine (bet you cannot resist laughing at some point).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Thank you for the song! The one I mentioned was this:
Aderyn Du

Aderyn du ai blufyn sidan, ei big aur ai dafod arian
Ei di drosta i i Gydweli
I sbïo hynt y ferch wyn ei charu.

Un dau tri pheth syn anodd i mi
Sef rhifor sêr pan fo hin rhewi
A chodi llaw i dwtshar lleuad
A deall meddwl fannwyl gariad

Llawn iawn ywr môr o swnd a chregyn
Llawn iawn ywr wy o wyn a melyn
Llawn iawn ywr coed o ddail a blode
Llawn iawn o gariad ydwyf inne.

Aderyn du ai blufyn sidan, ei big aur ai dafod arian
Ei di drosta i i Gydweli
I sbïo hynt y ferch wyn ei charu.

Tatjana, this simply isn’t the case. Stop putting yourself down, and stop imagining that everyone else is doing better than you - everyone goes at their own speed. If you’re not doing much Welsh at the moment, then your Welsh will (of COURSE!) feel a little more painful.

Right, here’s a challenge - if you do Lesson 25 of Course 1 and Lesson 25 of Course 2 each day for the next two weeks, I’ll have another chat with you once the kids are back at school.

Do you accept the challenge?.. :sunny:

2 Likes

I’ve heard with my own ears, but of course I won’t argue with you about that …

I accept the challenge but I’d like to put this things clear for all the rest here and would like to say that I didn’t post previous comment to look like I demand something from someone (particularly not you). I’ve just simply told my feelings right now, that’s all.

But of course, if the chance to speak with you is here, I surely won’t refuse it!

1 Like

Yes, and it’s important and good that you feel you can share your feelings here… :sunny:

It’s also important and good for us to let you know when those feelings are based on a misleading interpretation of the situation, and to challenge them so that you keep on realising what you’re achieving, and keep on achieving more… :sunny:

OK, Stella, i’m still thinking about what was said in the skype session and trying to remember much of it. Some things that got mentioned and hopefully with correct spelling.

môr-forwyn - mermaid.
hen - old
hŷn - older.
hynaf - oldest.
oed - age.
canol oesoedd - middle ages.
Tyfu - grow.
aildyfu - regrow.

I couldn’t remember the word for ‘shore’ when you needed it and of course it’s ‘lan’ as in lan ymor.
We can also use ‘arfordir’ for coast which gives a similar meaning.

I’m hoping after our next chat i will have time to do a long list of words and phrases.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Or you can use “traeth” = beach. (it’s in South vocab lessons somewhere)

2 Likes

Ah Tatjana bach, i need you on skype to point out the obvious, that would have saved my blushes the other night.

I have just been looking back at the beginning of this thread and trying to think of what to say about progress.

First: i have been lucky in making two contacts that are fun, we seem to get along, the next session is something to look forward to.
This i realise won’t be true for everyone, because we are all different characters, so keep trying until you click with someone (and nobody is going to judge those who drop out, it’s just part of life).

The text window in skype really does seem to be a big plus and i’m thinking people could pre- prepare words they want to use and type them in at the start of a session or being clever use copy and paste.

This of course throws up the problem that you need to know how to find the text window in skype and be able to use it (like most computer stuff, it’s simple when you know how, a mystery when you don’t ) so if you connect and don’t know this stuff just ask and i’m sure someone will help.

Edit: to add i find using earphones a plus (they were not expensive).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I can asure you you don’t need to blush. I am the one who should as I forgot more obvious things then I could remember. That “traeth” clicked to me only when I staretd to do vocabs for the second time but there’s nothing near sure I wouldn’t forget the word again.

And, about the Skype … I didn’t say for sure I wouldn’t be there, I’ve just pointed out that it might be I won’t be there though. It’s 14 days until there though so you never know what comes in at such long time.

About other thigs you’ve written … well I’m not quite sure I understand the meaning of all totally.

1 Like

You are correct Tatjana , i have edited some of it out that seems confusing (and i wrote it),
Really i would like to attract comments from others about their experience with skype (what they think is good or not so good).

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Thank you very much, John! There was also a word for knitting! Gwau, I think:)

1 Like

“gwau” or “gweu” says “Ap Geiriaduron”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought i would make a start or i won’t understand.

llên gwerin - folklore.
Chwediau - legends.
Chwedioniaeth - mythology.
Chwedioniaeth geltaidd - Celtic mythology.
Cawr / cewri - Giant / s.
Tylwyth teg - Fairy.
Tywysog - Prince.
Tywysoges - Princess.
Brenin - King.
Brenhines - Queen.
Ysbryd - Spirit / ghost.

It would be nice if there was a relatively simple book on this subject we could all (own, read and discus).

Edit to add: ysbryd is interesting and useful (diddorol a defnyddiol).
Ysbryd - Spirit.
Yysbrydoedd - Spirits.
Ysbrydol - Spiritual.
Ysbrydoli - inspire.
Ysbrydoliaeth - inspiration.

Edit to add: hudlath - magic wand.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Thank you, John:) I will continue
Ellyll (ellyllon - plural) – a tiny elf, not as tall as the tylwyth teg.
Dafydd ap Gwilym (as quoted by Wirt Sikes) mentions them in one of his poems:
Yr ydoedd ym mhob gobant
Ellyllon mingeimion gant.
(There was in every hollow
A hundred wrymouthed elves.)

Coblyn (coblynau) – small gnome-like creatures who live in mines and quarries and help those miners who are nice to them.

Ellylldan – Will o’the Wisp, a luring elfin fire

Bwbach – a kind domestic creature who helps the maid if he likes her. But he can take a dislike to certain people – especially to those who don’t drink alcohol at all

Cylchau y Tylwyth Teg – fairy rings

1 Like

only one new word, is the bigger format useful to anyone.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I will try and post a mutation table later.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Hope this is understandable with the brackets showing the radical and it’s changes.
All corrections welcome.

Edit: woops, spotted an error.

Cheers J.P.