Format of skype practice

Some words used last night.

Even though I have not participated in your Skype sessions I can’t tell you how helpful the trail is that you leave.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that enthusiastically follows what you are doing.

The vocabulary lists are fantastic. Thank you for all the effort that obviously goes into creating such a high quality process for learning to talk in Welsh,

Justin

3 Likes

Well, thanks very much for your comments, i’m sure the participants will be pleased to think it’s of help to others as well.
The word list is what gets typed into the skype text box during the session (by all participants) ,
later i copy and paste this into a word processor, then try to remove duplicates and sort some of our spelling errors before pasting it on here.
As for quality of the process, i think it’s a work in progress, the idea that people can drop in or out to fit their available time seems fine, some want to listen more than talk, that’s fine, some times the sound quality means people have to repeat themselves which can cause a few hiccups in the conversation flow, it would be better sitting around a real tree but as the participants are spread far and wide technology is providing a good second best.

I’m really interested to see how this improves or otherwise through the year, i certainly hope to hear the improvement in all that take part (including myself).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I thought the idea of a stori was great and the old apple tree in a garden worked well i thought, but it did get a little too complicated. Maybe, make it more linear and more like a word game, where everyone takes turns to say what happens next. It would be good to introduce groups of things and perhaps insert ourselves into the story, if only to use, ti , chi, ni and nhw a bit more.

2 Likes

What I think is also exciting is the possibility of using all this work as a framework for future learners (@aran). So for each Skype session you have developed a theme - sometimes with a attractive picture/photo to support it and a vocabulary to help the participants. That’s a great catalyst for future learners some of whom will want to develop their own themes but some will benefit from piggybacking on your work.

It won’t be that long before you have developed 20 or more themes with related vocabularies and a whole body of experience of what works well and what doesn’t.

Who knows it may also help with the SSi4k vocabulary augmentation project that Aran has simmering in the cauldron (I was thinking of wizards and magicians rather than witches there!!),

Justin

3 Likes

Ohhh, no place for me … but I am a witch - that good one - like Winny the Witch (yah, who does everything her cute wrong way - hehe - only that my wrong is not even a bit cute though) :cry:

Bydda i’n dringo ar yr hen coeden afalau ac crio yna!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh, thanks for the input one and all, this started as the wish to practice and have fun doing so (looks like it just might work).

I agree with @Y_Ddraig_Las, that i did get a bit too complicated and yes we need to be using ti, chi, ni etc.
and @JustinandEirwen, yes, basically i think using the material from course/level 2 (aran and team have done do much work here for us to play with), we can have fun expanding on that.
This is where i feel it’s important that all who take part inject words they want to practice.

Last but not least @tatjana, a white witch with a heart of gold would be most welcome.
we may test your painting skills with subjects like
tri mochyn bach mynd i’r traeth.

Thinking a bit more about tri mochyn bach mynd i’r traeth, (to use course material we could refer to them by colour, though they could have names as well if people wish).

A typical welsh beach. (ble mae’r siop heufan ia).

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

HAHA! This one is good! Painting skills … ! Will try to remember that one … But, digital painting has some tricks in background to use them so … you might expect something comming out until next session. :slight_smile:

Where is this? and why is the sea a funny colour?

Exactly my thoughts … despite i don’t live near your beaches.

But yah, I believe i saw that sea color from the sky of satelite picture of Tresath … so maybe the color even isn’t so funny. :slight_smile:

Ah it’s Tresaith! I sometimes forget that it is only Aberystwyth where the sea is the mucky greeny brown colour, because of Aberystwyth’s special micro-climate. The rest of Wales of course has beautiful crystal clear blue waters and palm trees

I haven’t been in the Sunday group for quite a long time - it seems that you’ve moved away from the idea of making thematic wordlists for the sessions? Because if it’s still relevant, I’m making some vocab lists now that I can share.

1 Like

Hey, @seren! If you ask me, it’s always relevant. I hope you join us some time again. At least I and @brigitte have missed you. I believe @ramblingjohn agrees with me on vocab list and on missing you too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The North Sea is famous for it’s crystal clear blue waters and palm trees. You forgot to mention the warm temperatures for idyllic bathing :smiling_imp:

Justin

2 Likes

Sorry, I remember when we had some Spanish visitors to Aberystwyth. We all went swimming, but the Spaniards left the water after a few minutes, because they said it was too cold to swim in January, bless! The Irish sea is lovely to swim in all year around, though may be a touch too chilly for people from the tropics in January.

…and if you are lucky, Ursula Andress will suddenly appear out of the sea, and walk over the beach towards you, wearing little more than her snorkel and goggles…

absolutely, i have been working on a word list for the tri mochyn bach sydd yn mynd i’r traeth.

I will be relieved if someone else does a word list, image, painting or any other idea for next Sunday, as unfortunately i won’t be here. (and will miss the fun).

Cheers J.P.

You’re too creative for me, John: my wordlists are mostly about food and recipes and clothes and people’s appearance and personalities - that’s all I can talk about:)

But I can help with the vocab list, if you roughly point me in the right direction:) Maybe I can put together some words to describe the “traeth” and what the tri mochyn bach can find there?

1 Like

Can’t wait - I’m visiting North Wales in June. Do you think Monica Belluci will forgive me for being so fickle? :wink:

Justin

tri mochyn bach = Parma ham, Pata Negra and Proscuitto. Add a good Barolo etc. :wink:

Justin

2 Likes

Or a big white balloon, No 6 where have you been.

Swap crazy for creative to get nearer the truth. your wordlists sound fine to me, it’s all language we want to learn. (and use).

Hopefully i will get round to posting a list tomorrow, and of course any other lists are welcome,
I will then probably pull all the information into one post aiming for April 3rd.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like