Format of skype practice

This made me laugh out loud! Great response!

:bike: (There isn’t the right kind of bicycle in the emoticons :angry: )

1 Like

Tri mochyn bach yn mynd i’r traeth. Three little pigs go to the beach.
castell tywod. - sand castel.
twyni tywod. - sand dune.
Cerrig – rock/stone
pwll cerrig – rock pool.
Seren fôr – starfish.
Pysgod – fish.
Morlo – seal.
Morfil – whale.
Cranc – crab.
Cimwch – lobster.
Clogwyn – cliff.
Gwylan – seagull.
Gwymon – seaweed.
Môr-forwyn – mermaid.
Heulwen – sunshine.
I’r haul fachlud – sunset.
Gwynt – wind.
Cwch – boat.
Llong – ship.
Cragen – shell.
Cysgod – shadow.
Cymylau – clouds.
Awyr - sky.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Thanks for this John! No ‘hufen ia’ = Ice cream ???
I despair about modern British folk. We have family albums of the family sitting on the beach determinedly eating ice creams whilst the rain fell and the wind howls, undeterred from enjoying their summer holiday together on the beach. These days people seem to desert the beach on the, of course very rare, occasions when it isn’t bight and clear. It is very sad.

1 Like

Here you go. A chocolate one just for you!

2 Likes

Since @ramblingjohn wasn’t present this time on our weekly group Sunday chat there weren’t so many people in the chat but @brigitte, @Y_Ddraig_Las and I were curious enough if there will be someone to chat with and then on we managed to put a group conversation together but we’ve left tri mochyn bach ar traeth and went our own way. I caught with Brigitte and “Blue Dragon” a bit later on but I believe I didn’t miss much.

Words I can read in Skype message window:

gwregys - belt
byr - short (there are more meanings of thsi word but we (well I) were after this one though)
gwyddeleg - Irish, Gaelic
cul - narrow
treiglo - to mutate
anghywir - incorrect, wrong, false
cywir - correct, right
yn gywir - right, truly
trafaelio, teithio - travel

And … we’ve count to three in many languages just for fun of it and somehow came to the conclusion at least first three numbers are quite similar in all those languages we’ve managed to count in … :slight_smile:

See you next Sunday when @ramblingjohn returns with his tri mochyn bach … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

da iawn pawb, i’m really looking forward to next Sunday and will collate as much of the above material as i get time for at the end of the week.
I may insert some examples of how words change with gender, (more and more it keeps bugging me that i have a mental block of understanding grammar terminology so practice i must).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Apologies to everyone -you must think me very rude. I somehow thought the Skype on Sunday was a once a month event, so didn’t send apologies for not being around last Sunday. I won’t be around this Sunday, either. But I did enjoy the first time and I hope to join in again soon. Happy chatting.

2 Likes

Don’t worry. It isn’t a must do thing. If you’re up to it you come if not then you don’t. And yes, it was meant to be once a month, but obviously some of us are too enthusiastic on this to wait that long. - hehe

We (well at least I) hope to see you in the future.

2 Likes

It’s not a problem Fran, think of it as like a cafe cymraeg, where you drop in when you can.
I did start out thinking once a month but it soon became evident more often would be better.
And it was me who could not make last week (so i missed the fun).

We are still kind of finding out what skype use is best, and i hope to carry on with this through the summer (but it won’t be every week that i can make it).
Of course it’s great if others carry on when i’m not around.
Tatjana is better at the techno stuff than me, but at some time when i get used to skype i will try to do some screen shots of how others can set up a group call (it is problematical at times) and then there may be more than one group operating which would allow for a larger number of people to be invited.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

A typical welsh beach (ble mae’r hufan ia).

A few bits to play with in preparation if you wish.
Tri mochyn bach yn mynd i’r traeth. Three little pigs go to the beach.
castell tywod. - sand castel.
twyni tywod. - sand dune.
Cerrig – rock/stone
pwll cerrig – rock pool.
Berdysen – common shrimp.
Seren fôr – starfish.
Pysgod – fish. (ei bysgod o, dy bysgod di – his fish, your fish), (fy mhysgod – my fish), (ei physgod hi – her fish).
Morlo – seal. (ei forlo o, dy forlo di – his seal, your seal).
Nofio – swim.
Hwylio – sail.
Morfil – whale.
Cranc – crab. (ei granc o, dy granc di – his crab, your crab), fy nghranc – my crab), ei chranc hi – her crab).
Cimwch – lobster.
Clogwyn – cliff.
Gwylan – seagull.
Gwymon – seaweed. (ei wymon o, dy wymon di – his seaweed, your seaweed) (fy ngwymon – my sea weed).
Smotiau – spots.
Brechdan – sandwich. (ei frechdan o, dy frechdan di – his sandwich, your sandwich) (fy mrechdan – my sandwich).
Môr-forwyn – mermaid.
Heulwen – sunshine.
I’r haul fachlud – sunset.
Dillad – clothes. (ei ddillad o, dy ddillad di – his clothes, your clothes), (fy nillad – my clothes).
Gwynt – wind.
Draenog y môr – common sea urchin.
Cwch – boat.
Llong – ship.
Cragen – shell.
Troed – foot.
Traed – feet. (ei draed o, dy draed di – his feet, your feet), (fy nhaed – my feet), ei thraed – her feet).
Cysgod – shadow.
Cymylau – clouds.
Sky – Awyr.
camgymeriad - mistake.

(this was done in a bit of a rush so has the usual product disclaimer,
May contain nuts and/or camgymeriadau).
Aiming for 7pm (welsh time) sunday 3rd April.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Where do you meet and/or how can one join?

I think you just need to ask John to add you to the group skype call:)

3 Likes

@seren is right, @philipnewton. Just PM @ramblingjohn your Skype name and I don’t doubt he’ll gladly add you to the group. Skype acount is required though (but I don’t doubt you already have one … )

See you tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks ladies, i had already sent a PM about the method.
some new talent will add to the fun.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

Well, in expectation of another fun group sgwrs I’ve played with “tri mochyn bach” a bit and invented this little (not so interesting though) story.

Tri mochyn bach yn mynd i’r traeth

Mae nhw’n tri mochyn bach sydd yn chwilfrydig iawn. Mae nhw’n hoffi i fforio ac mynd i’r traeth. Oedden nhw’n gallu gweld i’r dolfin i nofio o gwmpas. Oedd hi dydd heulog ac awel ysgafn yn chwythu. Oedd yn dydd hyfryd iawn. Mae nhw wedi nofio yn gyntaf. Oedd llawer o bysgod nofio o’u gwmpas. Oedd un mochyn yn meddwl bod oedd fe gweld môr-forwyn ond phan oedd fe’n trio dangos hi i ei ffrindiau fo doedd hi ddim yno byth. Oedd fe ddim yn dweud dim byd ac aros yn dawel, meddwl bod oedd fe wedi dychmygu popeth.

Wedyn wnaeth o nhw yn mynd i fforio o gwmpas. Mae nhw wedi cael popeth - cregyn, malwod môr ac llawer o gerrig. Mae nhw wedi gneud yn pwll cerrig a chodi castel tywod. Phan mae nhw wedi cwpla popeth oedd hi noswaith yn barod. Mae nhw wedi gweld i’r haul fachlud prydferth ac hwylio nôl gatre. …

Don’t look at the grammar too much though. Well I used some words which are not on @ramblingjohn’s list so I’ll write them down here:

chwilfrydig = curious
fforio = to explore
dolfin = dolphin
o gwmpas = around
awel ysgafn = gentle breeze
hyfryd = lovely
dangos = to show
dychmygu = to imagine
malwod môr = sea snails
yn barod = already
prydferth = beautiful
nôl gatre = back home

I hope you like the little story although I know it is full of (grammar) mistakes …

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Well, i fod yn onest - to be honest.
the story of tri mochyn bach didn’t go to well, until a frog and princes joined them on the beach.
Now we know where and how mermaids are created.
More to follow.

It’s amazing, these learners who worry about how much they cannot say, kept the skype going
for 2 1/2 hours. da iawn pawb.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

I enjoyed our chat very much and I’m very glad I came today, but I also understood that I really need the Welsh for “Am I making any sense?”
This would be a very useful sentence in my case.

2 Likes

Ydwi’n gwneud unrhyw synnwyr o gwbl?

Or

Ydach chi’n dallt unrhyw beth dwi’n dweud?!

:sunny:

3 Likes

Ti: “Ydw i’n gwneud unrhyw synnwyr?” (Am I making any sense?)
Ni: “Ydy, ti’n ei wneud. Paid poeni nawr. Iawn?” :slight_smile:

Yes … one fo those mochyn bach didn’t imagine seing a mermaid after all? :slight_smile:

Yup, @philipnewton learns Cymraeg for about a month now and look at him! He has thrown himself into the skype conversation with us. It’s amazing. He wasn’t with us the whole 2 and a half hours but majority of time anyway. Da iawn ti Phillip! Hope to see you one of next sessions again if not in next session though. In that time you’ll know more of Cymraeg and will also understand more and if comforts you, I don’t understand quite some things either being learning for more then 3 years so, don’t worry, we’re all learning. It’s important to speak not only to yourself but with others too.

And … as I promissed … the wanted picture arrives in few next days. It depends of how much time I’ll have according to (somehow) scheduled events … More next time.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like