Fyddan ni ddim isio

‘fyddan ni ddim isio’ is defined as ‘we wouldn’t want’ on the course.
The dictionary defines this as ‘we will not want’.
This is very confusing. Please clarify.

Hmmm… the future tense for first person plural usually has the ending -wn, so I would expect to see “we will not” translated as “fyddwn ni ddim”. Which dictionary are you referring to?

Spoken Welsh very often differs from dictionary Welsh, and SSiW generally works with spoken forms.
These are the ‘standard’ forms -
we would not want = fydden ni ddim isio
we will not want = fyddwn ni ddim isio
However, in the Northern spoken form, the -en ending often sounds like -an.

3 Likes

It’s now a long time since I did the course, but possibly you are mis-hearing? “We will not want” is “Fyddwn ni ddim isio”.

Now I was always taught on Welsh courses that “fasen ni ddim isio” was “we wouldn’t want” (Northern) but I seem to remember that SSiW uses the slightly different “fydden ni ddim isio”. So perhaps that’s what you’re hearing as “fyddan”?

ETA: And Siaron beat me to it!

3 Likes

This is exactly as written on the course, not spoken. (Norht Wales)
The Gweiuadur dictionary defines Byddan as ‘they will be’ not ‘we would be’. Hence my confusion. An error perhaps?

Yes, it’s written on the course the same way as it’s spoken (the same way eisiau is written and spoken as isio)
Gweiadur also notes that bydden is the informal conditional (as in the screen shot below), and as I said, the -en ending is often said (and written) as -an in Northern Welsh.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

1 Like