Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

does brwnt and pudr have a similar meaning to blerwch? or specific? dialectal?

Diolch eto

Brwnt (s) and budr (n) both mean dirty, unclean whereas blêr means untidy.

3 Likes

Quick query about aethon nhw - I’ve been mentally pronouncing all those ae as ‘eye’, till I heard Saeson pronounced ‘say’, at which point I (a) got confused and (b) started listening harder.

Am I right in thinking that if one doesn’t have one’s llais capel switched on, daethon nhw tends to sound deithon nw? (And daeth o, daath o, too?)

2 Likes

I :heart:ed this to catch the outcome. Im also drifting across to the SAY camp. Also with ei, and au and eu sounds. Although it tends to raise the odd eyebrow when mentioning place names in an English conversation.

Ive been corrected both ways. Those sounds need you to suss the listener before you express them. Not too bad if you are a bloke in the south. You can just mutter them. :rofl:

Edit: I’ve just corrected a spelling mistake above. Also to mention how much I am enjoying being able to rediscover the ei ae and ê sounds, which have been pushed to the back of my head since moving south.

2 Likes

Yup… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Word of the Day 18/04/2019

Again, sincerest apologies for lack of word of the day posts. It has been yet another crazy period with Aran’s mum’s fall, subsequent hospital stay and return home to our care. We’re just about finding our feet again, so here goes…

It’s all about Easter… well mostly the commercial, non religious type. :wink: Let’s hope some of these words are useful, especially when juggling little ones over thew holidays.

Pasg = pahsk - Easter
ŵy = oohee - egg
wyau = ooee-ah - eggs
helfa = hell-vah - a hunt
basged = bass-ged - basket
cuddio = kith-yo - to hide
chwilota = chooee-lot tah (Welsh ch sound) - to search/rummage
casglu = kass-glee - to collect
cwningen = koon-ing-ngen - rabbit
clustiau = kleest-yah - ears
siocled = shock-led - chocolate
cyw = cue/queue - chick
Sul y Pasg = seal uh pahsk - Easter Sunday
croes = kroh-iss - cross
oen = oyne (rhymes with coin) - lamb
cig oen = keeg oyne - lamb (as in meat)
gwanwyn = goo-anne-win - spring

Sound file -

10 Likes

My favourite thread! Diolch Catrin! And I’m thrilled to have potted a typo - cig OEN - I must be progressing! I hope Aran’s mum is progressing too.

2 Likes

Physically much better - she actually announced today that she’d like me to take her out for a very short walk some time soon, so that’s very encouraging… :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Word of the Day 01/05/2019*

Rhagfarn = hrag-varrn - prejudice / bigotry / bias

Rhagfarnllyd = hrag-varrn-llid - biased / prejudiced / biggoted

Rhagfarnu = to prejudge

Sound file -

5 Likes

An important question here, I think, is whether these are always utilised in a negative way. In English, bias can be positive, neutral or negative. To a differing extent, so can pre-judging.
Good words!
@CatrinLliarJones

2 Likes

That is a very encouraging improvement! Acute pain and physical/mental recovery don’t always keep peace with each other, so I would shoot for very short and lots of encouragement. :+1:

1 Like

So, now that the epic task of organising the party weekend is over… sorry for the slightly croaky voice… :wink:

Word of the Day 04/06/2019

Ailddechrau = aisle-thech-rah-ee - to restart

Atgyfodi = at-guv-oddie - to resurrect or revive

Sounf file -

8 Likes

Word of the Day 05/06/2019

Today’s words are inspired by meeting so many wonderful Welsh learners over the weekend, and by our children, whom both have karate grading this evening. Especially our daughter, who’s just completed a total of 20 hours of dance rehearsals over the last two weeks in preparation for a show this coming Friday night and again on Saturday night.

Ymroddiad = erm-rothe-yad - dedication
Ymroddedig = erm rothe-ed-igg - dedicated

Sound file -

4 Likes

Ai “ymroddiedig” ddylai hynna fod? Should that read “ymroddiedig”? (I’m assuming from the noun and from the pronunciation that it’s just a typo…)

Actually no, it’s ymroddedig believe it or not. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, OK… I made the mistake of searching for ymroddiedig (which exists on certain webpages :slight_smile: ) instead of looking in the dictionary. But does that mean the “erm rothe-yed-igg” needs to lose its y?

1 Like

Yes, that was me half asleep and on autopilot… will change it now, diolch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The truth is, both would be understood. :slight_smile:

Loving these offerings… can I suggest as a possible theme one day more words from Welsh legend and folklore? I am intrigued, for example, by the word ‘afanc’, which according to the dictionary can mean a mythical sea-monster, a beaver or a crocodile. Now I would have thought occasions might arise when it was really quite important to have different words for ‘beaver’ and ‘crocodile’. ‘Mam, Mam, mae afanc yn yr ardd!’ ‘Paid â phoeni, pwt, llysfwytawyr ydyn nhw…’ But what do I know…

3 Likes

Absolutely David!

But I’d need a little guidance, so if you have a particular vocab you’d like me to tackle, then post here and I’ll give it a go.

By the way afanc is commonly known as beaver… :slight_smile: