Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

:rofl:

2 Likes

Why does cas and gwahanol mutate the following noun? Are they feminine? Benywaidd?

adjectives before a noun always soft mutate that noun, independent of gender or number, but I don’t know why :wink:

1 Like

Bryn Haul & Haul Fryn

to do with it being a ‘cyfansoddair’ - a compound word … slipped my mind … Diolch 'ta beth!

Ironically cyfansoddair … is a compound word denoting a compound word … oh my brain!

2 Likes

Word of the Day 23/10/2018

(So very sorry for the absence! I was just finishing off the first draft of my novel, sending it off to the publishers and finding my feet again - a very surreal experience, but back on track now. :slight_smile: )

Tymor = tuh-morr
Yr Hydref = urr hud-rev
Mis Hydref = mees hud-rev
Oer = oyre
Oeri = oyree
Collddail = coll-thaial

Tymor means season
Yr Hydref means the autumn
Mis Hydref means the month of October
Oer means cold
Oeri means to become colder or to make colder
Collddail means deciduous

Sound file -

8 Likes

Some words instantly get one of my favorite “Welsh pronunciation practice songs” to pop up in my head. :slight_smile:
In this case, tymer as in “Tymer Aspirin”

I haven’t spent much figuring out the translations yet, but from my understanding he (the author) likes to play with the sound of words and different meanings a bit in and out of strict logic. Am I right?

Ac mae hyn i gyd fel tymer aspirin,
Nofio’n noeth mewn tymer trwm.
Deg gwaith yn waeth na gwanwyn,
Ychydig well na’r bywyd llwm

3 Likes

Oh wonderful word for deciduous! Lose leaves

1 Like

My Daughter had a biology test last week and deciduous was one of the answers. Now all I need is the verb ‘to rake’ to add it to the collddail dail I’ll be raking. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, Hydref! :smiley:

Collddail is one of those words like llaeth and llyfr that remind the Italian word (in this case “caduco”) more than the English one.
Then you hear how they sound and :astonished:…oh well, not so much!

Dail doesn’t even look like foglia, nor leaf though!

1 Like

But foglia sounds like foliage.

I love collddail too. It is so straightforward and descriptive.
Sue

1 Like

I think someone from this account is watching this thread.

2 Likes

Oh! I wonder what the trees were called before the 1950s. I tried looking in a few online dictionaries, but they gave collddail.
Sue

My Y Geiriadur Mawr also gives deilgoll for deciduous. Perhaps the two words were in competition at one time? :wink:

2 Likes

Or the same compound word in reverse order? Lose leaves. Thats easier than English :grinning:

Or “losing leaves” vs “leaf lost” - I rather like the latter, though it is not the “accepted” word. Seems a little easier for me to pronounce. (That ll right next to the dd is tricky!)

1 Like

There was someting similat on the FB Britonnic word of the day for Skull.
Ill probably get these wrong, but I think the Welsh was something like penglog. Cornish and Breton wrre something like klopenn

Word(s) of the Day 25/10/2018

Cribin = crib-bin
Cribinio = crib-bin-io
Bythwyrdd = bith-weerth
Bytholwyrdd = bith-all-weerth
Priciau tân = prick-iah tahn
Coed tân = coyed tahn
Cynnau tân = Kin-aye tahn

Cribin means rake
Cribinio means to rake
Bythwyrdd means evergreen
Bytholwyrdd also means evergreen
Priciau tân means kindling, as in wood to start a fire
Coed tân means logs, as in firewood
Cynnau tân means to ignite or light a fire

Sound file -

11 Likes

I really appreciate word of the day and find the word association and relevant meanings fascinating and easier to remember.
Hearing the pronunciation is an added bonus.
Just need some super glue now to make the words stick better in my memory. Thank you.

2 Likes

‘Bytholwyrdd’ is used quite often on “Garddio a mwy” even though all my dictionaries seem to favour ‘bythwyrdd’ leading me to believe the former is more northern (at least where the presenters are from).

1 Like