Good News

In a phrase I never thought I would hear myself, or anyone else say, my mother has the right sort of cancer, eminently treatable. My husband is still abroad, half way through his two months and my son’s leg is still broken but on the mend. As a relief from a stressful couple of months I’ve booked myself onto a weekend writing course for Welsh learners (what am I thinking? I’m not a learner, but I need all the help I can get when writing) at Tŷ Newydd. We’ll see if I can get some of last year’s trip onto paper.

14 Likes

Sorry you’ve had such a tough time of it, Margaret - very glad that you’ve had some good news, and I hope you have a lovely time in Llanystumdwy… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hoped for at least some good news and I’m finally glad they arived in some way. Hope everything goes well from here on and … oooo, jaaaa … no matter I’ve read a lot in your blog already, your traveling around the world on (whatever if even digital) paper would be nice to read again I’m sure this time in different style as you’d implement learnt stuff into your writing style. So … hardly wait if there’d be anything to read afterwards.

Pob lwc i ti a dy deulu di.

2 Likes

So glad to hear you had good news, well, the best you could hope for under the circumstances. You really deserve some ‘me time’ and Llanystumdwy is the perfect place. It’s really relaxing staying there and the tutors are so supportive. I look forward to reading the result as well.

5 Likes

I’m so glad to see your good news. I hope it feels like a big weight off your shoulders. Enjoy the writing course.

I keep meaning to stop and explore Llanystumdwy because I’ve driven past the turn off countless times on the way to and from Pwllheli, but never actually managed to find the time to investigate.

3 Likes

@margaretnock I wish both your mother and your son full recoveries.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr pawb. Thank you very much everyone.

3 Likes

Brilliant! I went last year and had an absolutely amazing weekend! And you actually have something to write about… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am so glad you have this example of cancer being curable and I want to read your book when you have written it! I will try to learn to read Welsh again in the interim!

1 Like

@margaretnock So glad to hear the good news about your mother, and that your son’s leg is healing. I hope they are both back to full health as soon as possible. Enjoy your writing course - like others have said, I look forward to reading what you write, if you care to share it with us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great news, Margaret!

I hope you really enjoy the writing course - it will be very interesting to hear how the course works for SSiWers. I always wonder about things “for learners”, what is the difference is between a course for learners, and a course for first language speakers who just don’t write much - I would think of your Welsh skills as closer to the second than the first!

Best wishes to your mother and your son!

1 Like

Share it with us?? Surely a publisher will snap it up and sell it to us??? :smile:

1 Like

@Iestyn Any writing course would do, to be frank, but I want to do this piece of work in Welsh. Are there courses for mamiaith Cymru? But the time fitted well for me as well.

@henddraig. I won’t hold my breath. As far as I am concerned, this is how to make it read well. Publishing for money will be a whole different ball game.

@elizabeth_jane might give you hints!

2 Likes

No hints on the making money front! But happy to share in any other capacity. I’ve done that course at Llanystumdwy. It is wonderful! Enjoy! I’m so glad your family are well.

2 Likes

They don’t make a thing of the learner business at all. It is just a lovely atmosphere to try things out. There’s probably less pressure going along as a learner than as a self-confessed aspiring writer. (Which I’m not - I was just there for the ride!) Having said that, there wouldn’t much point in going until you have read quite a bit of Welsh and are fairly confident at writing it!

Bethan Gwanas was there last year too. She is also a Welsh tutor of course, but didn’t particularly have that hat on.

Glad to hear your good news Margaret!
I have always wanted to visit Ty Newydd, your course sounds very enjoyable.
I am in the Llandeilo area from 26th March - approx 1st April if you would like some siarad yn gymraeg.

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn to you on taking that step and booking yourself in to Ty Newydd, @margaretnock!!! It is such a magical place and somewhere very close to my heart - in fact, it is the place which transformed me from a girl with a dream to a writer! It will get under your skin, will inspire you and feed your soul. The area where is sits is so beautiful and the staff are all warm and welcoming. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time - seems like you deserve it.

I’m sorry for all the other difficulties in your life and wish your family all the very best with their healing. XXX

2 Likes

Oh, that’s WONDERFUL news, @margaretnock! I’m so happy to hear the news about your mum and that you’re taking some much needed “me” time! I hope you have a FABULOUS time at your writing course!

1 Like