Help! I've finished level 3, what do I do now?

So over the past nine months or so I have gone all through the courses up through level three… I’m far from perfect but I’ve been more or less hitting the 80%-correct-threshold (give or take a few mutations). So, first of all, many thanks to Aran and Catrin–I’ve studied a few different languages in conventional classes in my day and this was much more fun and more successful. I started on a lark because I was going to visit Wales for the first time and because I have always liked the sound of the language… And now I can fluently tell my children that they are a real handful and that I wish I could trust them to play together without arguing–which is pretty cool. (The histrionic coffee-making threat has yet to produce a decent cup, however…)

But what do I do now? Although I’m branching out into reading and listening to Radio Cymru (and, naturally, learning Welsh songs) I will miss speaking Welsh aloud, and I would like to keep moving forward with it…

I should mention that:

a) I live in the U.S., and I don’t know of any Welsh speakers yn yr ardal hyn.
b) Although I’m hoping to visit North Wales briefly again this summer, I won’t be able to do any boot camps or intensive courses any time soon.
c) I have never been much of an internet-community person, and I’m not sure if I want to embark on the self-recording-and-uploading practice track… Also, I haven’t posted to a forum of any kind in many years, so my apologies if this post isn’t quite the way it’s done.

Any advice for an isolated learner would be welcome!

Many thanks!

7 Likes

Never had much luck with it myself, to be honest…:wink:

On the one hand, we’ll be starting to produce a lot more practice stuff for our advanced learners in the next two or three months, as part of our aim to take people above and beyond Level 3 - but most of it will focus on listening and reading.

I’d say it’s a straight choice between two things - find a Skype partner (or several!), or grit your teeth and get into the recording-uploading slow-mo conversations.

Or, ideally, both… :wink:

The thing is, you can carry on getting a lot further with listening to Radio Cymru, and to the new stuff we’re planning (and there’ll be the tail-end of Level 3 and at least some lessons in a kind of Level 3+)… but the only way you’ll get the real joy of using the language will be by building the one-on-one personal connections that either Skype or the slow-mo stuff lead to.

If it feels out of your comfort zone, that’s probably confirmation that it’s the correct next step for you…:slight_smile:

Oh, and LLONGYFARCHIADAU - that’s a heck of an achievement in 9 months… :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Thanks! And thanks for everything you do here.

I will have to prepare myself for some tooth-gritting, soon. What’s the best way to find a Skype partner?

2 Likes

Thank you for such kind words… :slight_smile:

Skype partner is hit-and-miss, I’m afraid - we’re starting to do more organised stuff for our 6 month course, but you’re too advanced for that - if you stick ‘Skype’ in the search bar (top right) you should find some threads where you can put your hand up… :slight_smile:

Hi @Josh

When I finished, I did two things - that you can also do depending on how much punishment you like…?

1. Do the “old course” in full. Everyone has a different name for it, but by “old course” I mean the old levels. They’re still really really useful material - and the subtle differences between the “new” course teaches and what the “old” course teaches will give you that natural variety in language that fluent/since birth speakers have. Plus it teaches short form in a really sharp and slamming way. You don’t say if you’ve done it or not, but if your head isn’t blended after old Course Level 3, then you are a real sucker for punishment.

2. If you’re learning on your mobile device using the app, or listening to the downloaded MP3s - try re-doing the lessons but with the lessons “speeded” up.
    Once I did the course once or twice around, I started doing it at about 1.5x the normal speed - it works wonders for the listening skills and it really sharpens up your response skills - however it needs insane amounts of concentration. Doing SSIW at 1x speed I find I can still look on Google while doing it, carry on eating my lunch etc - but at 1.5x speed I have to be doing ONLY ssiw, nothing else.

3. Did I mention three? If you’ve gone the Northern course, pick out a couple of Southern lessons and do them for a laugh! Or vice versa.

7 Likes

I never did the old course, reckon it’s worth it?

3 Likes

If you’re at a loss for things to do - I would recommend it. I’m not sure what Aran and Iestyn’s view is on the old course, but I really enjoyed/enjoy it.

It adds some vocab that isn’t in the new course and it is quite hot on the short form (Course 3 is JUST short form, pretty much).

You will find some bits that will make you swear (because you’ve learned the new course word for something!)

4 Likes

As Nicky says, it depends. The new levels will have made you progress more quickly to where you are now, but if you consider it as extra input in a ‘throw as much Welsh at yourself as you can’ frame of mind, then it’s worth it. The Bonus lesson at 6b on Course 1 is fun and the vocab lessons have useful extras. There is also the dreaded lesson 6 itself, which was split into 6.1 and 6.2, two days after I completed it (@Aran still owes me a drink). In there somewhere is the very useful phrase, “I will have to think about that”. I use it all the time - really handy to give yourself breathing space!

There are some parts you’ll find really easy and you’ll wonder why the short form was introduced so late (Course 3). I found Course 3 not so much fun, because it slips into going over things in a more traditional way.

However, if you would be doing the old courses instead of something else such as listening to things at double speed, then no.

3 Likes

I kind of alternated between them – after doing Level 1 I tried an end-of-Course 1 thing and found it really incomprehensible because there was loads of vocab in it that Level 1 hadn’t covered, so I went back and did roughly every second lesson of Course 1 till I felt I’d caught up; I then did Level 2 and the start of Level 3, but when I ran out of Level 3 I went back and did Course 2 and 3 and the extra vocabs. I think having done the old course is part of why I keep hearing things on the new Gog Level 3 lessons as they come out and thinking “but we know that already, don’t we?”

3 Likes

I really like the old course and some of the speaking gaps can be insanely short ond cha i ddim cwyno am y peth as Iestyn says in the old course 3

2 Likes

Or, if you stick to the new Levels, you could go through them intensively again. I have been through all the levels again since just before Christmas. But the thing that has made a real difference to my speed of response when speaking, has been that I did the 20 challenges of Level 3 in 4 days (7 the first day, then 6, 5, 2), plus some double speed stories for listening practice. I was talking to someone on the third day and I was just talking - without thinking! It was the same at the Merched Y Wawr Beetle Drive last night.

Of course this binge on Welsh was inspired by the videos that have been recently released - particularly in relation to motivation and beating the plateau.

It’s been a real boost to my confidence (which had a huge knock last year, when I had a panic attack while filming for Codi Pac on S4C - I couldn’t breathe, let alone say anything in Welsh). Not everyone is like you @Nicky :blush: But I’m still here. So my advice is do whatever you enjoy doing that will keep your motivation up.

8 Likes

Thanks everyone for these suggestions… I did the old course 1 initially, then realized I was doing old material and switched to the new level 1 (I still say “dim byd” instead of “unrhyw beth” and I remember the grim days of lesson 6!) but I can go back and do the upper two courses of the old system, or try high-speed drilling…

But I am hoping to expand my vocabulary, somehow, and will have to look into skype chatting, once I get over this cold…

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hold on to your dim byd - very useful!

3 Likes

So I tried this today,driving to and from my partner’s parents’ to pick up the kids. Got through Level 2 Challenges 24-25 and Level 3 15-19 and part of 20. That’s seven and a half challenges at 1.5x and, it turns out, I can manage to drive at the same time. It was… exhilarating? A rush? A bit much? A good job some of it was already fairly familiar? All of the above, I think!

2 Likes

Wow! Very, very glad you were able to drive safely at the same time… ! :scream:

1 Like

There’s a really good Welsh drama called Y Gwyll. It’s fab. There’s a Welsh language version - Y Gwyll, but also one that’s English with a bit of Welsh, called Hinterland. I’m sure it’s on Netflix, but you can probably get it online- it’s BBC WALES. If you watch that you’ll keep improving.

2 Likes

Yes, I am watching Y Gwyll. I was able to buy series 2 and 3 on DVD, but not series 1. That’s a bit of a shame, but maybe I can get hold of it later. I watch it with the subtitles, but there are quite a few words I recognise anyway. There’s minimal dialogue really, and lots of brooding camera work. I agree that it’s really good.
It’s a bit of a surprise to find myself at the end of the available Level 3 South. Probably I need to go back and do the latter part again, but meanwhile I am starting the old course 2 again. I did some earlier, but I can’t remember how far I got before giving up in favour of new Level 3. Using my newly discovered toy (Audacity) I have taken some level 2 challenges, cut out the English prompts and the pauses, then doubled the speed. That’s for listening practice while I wait for the official ones. Then there is Duolingo for some extra vocab and for spelling. (Ouch!) Plenty to do.
Sue

3 Likes

LOL! No luck here, either. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Josh:

Best way to find a Skype partner is ask right here. I’m willing. :slight_smile: PM me, if you’d like to give it a go.

1 Like

Yes, I did the old course once I’d gotten as far as I could go with the new one, and I found it helpful.

1 Like