Here to say Hello

Hi all,

I am posting this to introduce myself to the community. First a little about me. My name is Gethyn and I grew up in South Wales. For some time I have wanted to learn how to speak Welsh. I have decided that now’s the time to bite the bullet and learn so I have subscribed to the 6 month course.

I’ll have the time to do it so felt it would be the most beneficial option at this present time.

I have seen how helpful everybody has been with other learners and just wanted to say thank you and hello :slight_smile:

Gethyn

11 Likes

Helo / hello Gethyn

Croeso / welcome and pob lwc / good luck. :smile:

2 Likes

Croeso Gethyn. You’ve made a good choice with the 6 month course. You will find you have many opportunities to learn and speak Welsh from day one, and ask as many questions as you want as you go along.

2 Likes

Welcome, Gethyn! Be sure to let us know how you are doing and ask any questions you might have. Pob lwc!

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Gethyn - the more you get involved, the more likely you are to achieve what you want… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Gethyn,

Congratulations on a great decision, that will change your life for the better!

Croeso.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to another Southerner,…we will take over…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome Gethyn. :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

2 Likes

Hi, thanks all. I can’t wait to get started.

Really looking forward to Monday and like how the learning approach differs from the school approach. (I’ve always been interested in the approach of teaching languages).

I have listened to the first challenge of level 1 and there seems to be a couple of things I need to get used to. I remember in school that we were taught with the phrase “rydw i”, I’m guessing that that is ‘standard’ Welsh? Also the pronunciation of Cymraeg is taking some getting used to as I was taught the pronunciation that is used in the north wales dialect. That said these are tiny things I’m bringing up as it’s really refreshing and useful to have so many helpful people in one place. I look forward to communicating with everybody and when I am able helping others.

1 Like

Shwmae Gethyn. Croeso, Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

You’re right - they really are tiny things! And yes, that rydw i stuff is ‘standard’ Welsh, but everyone will understand you whichever you use. Don’t sweat the small stuff, as they say. In fact, don’t even sweat the big stuff, it’ll all hang together in the end.

Welcome to the forum, SSiW, and the amazing new life that awaits you in the world of Welsh! (There’s a portal, and magical beings, and dragons and everything…)

4 Likes

Hei Gethyn, croeso i’r fforwm!
SSiW will prove to be a brilliant choice for you, no question. Everything you hear in the challenges is what you will hear “in the wild” - it’s real. Formal written Welsh can vary from what’s spoken or said, but you will hear natural, genuine Welsh.
Please don’t take what Mike Williams said seriously, he’s biased. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Croeso, Gethyn! You’ll LOVE SSiW!

3 Likes

Croeso Gethin! I’m on week 5, so not too far ahead.

Hi Gethin! I’m new too! Literally just signed up today. :slight_smile:

1 Like